Balancing Relationship & Health Goals

Options
So I'm in a great relationship and my partner supports my goals but she isn't at all interested in losing weight or eating extra healthy. Every time i see a success story, the person is single and was able to just focus on working out and eating for months at a time. Who's had success being in a relationship and also going hard for the cause?!

Replies

• iKaze0789
    Options
    I would like to say i'm no MD or Psychologist but i have some suggestions to help you through this if you dont mind reading this post :) Beside asking her to go on this diet with you why dont you try making dinner with some healthier choices like spaghetti with meat sauce slowly integrate things that are healthier beside using ground meat use ground turkey meat or regular pasta use wheat. There are wheat pasta out there that dont TASTE like CARDBOARD! lol You can also use food in the most intimate ways like feed her strawberries for a snack or cutting up apples with little bit of peanut butter giving kisses in between bites. Sometimes in relationship we have compromise. Relationship are alot of work and even harder to sustain them. But if she supports you like you said then you also should support her in her choices in life. While she choose a cheeseburger and you choose a salad just keep yourself motivated and say to yourself in your own little mind that your closer to your goal.. PEOPLE always say i'm on a diet rather then say your on a diet just make FIRM AFFIRMATION. Affirmation are things you say yourself to help bring confidence like looking into the mirror and say I AM BEAUTIFUL you tell yourself enough you start believing it like people lie to themselves they start to believe the lie is true. The same principle works here RATHER then saying i'm on a diet or life changing goals just say I AM healthy and THIS IS the way i eat. I eat salads because I like them and i enjoy when you start to deny yourself food you like and keep saying your on a diet there is a chance for failure but when you just accept this is how you eat and enjoy eating this way and if you work hard for two weeks you can have a burger with your spouse as a reward. GIVE yourself treat days you need fat to burn fat dont deprive yourself to much. You just make a turkey burger for yourself with some cheese and make her a reg burger and eat together! MAKE IT FUN! DONT MAKE IT a chore!
  • MissJazzie14
    MissJazzie14 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I was in your shoes last year with my ex-girlfriend of 4 years. She was small and could eat anything and everything and not worried about gaining weight and for me it was the opposite. Being healthy for me was more important than my relationship because she did not have to deal with diabetes and heart failures due to weight in her family and I did. In my brain, I thought that my ex wanted me to be happy so we can plan having a family and getting married basically our happy ending but that's not what I got. She was no support to me or for me. After begging her to go to the gym with me it was a no every time and the fighting was just getting more crazy so the best thing I could do is let her go. I figure that if she couldn't help me at my worse then she don't deserve me at my best. Letting her go was a blessing because I am able to better myself by dieting and exercising and not have to worry about fighting and the stress that comes with a relationship. I am not saying to leave your relationship at all but I am saying that relationships are hard work and sometimes the other person don't see the pain or hurt you are going through. Our mates may think and say we are beautiful and its okay to be beautiful but then again you want to be healthy too. I wish you the best on your journey and if you keep believing in yourself then others will start to believe in you too
  • chopstxnwangzz
    Options
    I know this is a old thread but im currently single and going through this on the opposite end...i cant find anyone to support my goals or interested in living a healthy lifestyle. Im not perfect in a sence where i dont fall off course but to have someone to be there and support and go through it with me would be great.. When i try to compromise it throws me off track and i end up being unhappy. So i just stay single...i hope everyone continues to be successful coupled or not. :)