Fitbit Charge HR confusion

Options
KDB1845
KDB1845 Posts: 3 Member
Hello, I just got my fitbit charge hr in the mail today and I am slightly confused. When I set it up it said I had already burned 1525 calories and took 115 steps, my question is where did this data come from, I just took it out of the box? Can anyone help me figure out. Also which calorie count should I go off of myfitnesspal or Fitbit?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Read the FAQ that heybales wrote that you'll find in the stickies for the group. That will answer lots of questions, many of which you haven't realized you have yet.

Basic info: The FitBit calorie burn is its estimate of your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), so the reason you saw 1525 calories as soon as it was set up is because that's how many calories FitBit estimates you had burned since midnight, just from being alive. The 115 steps was probably just incidental movement. Don't worry about that, those sorts of "steps" happen, but rarely add up to a significant part of your daily count.

The basic rules are:
    • Enter all your food on MFP. Use its calorie count for how much to eat.
    • Enable negative calorie adjustments in MFP. That way, you won't eat too much on days when you're inactive. However, don't freak out if you start out with negative exercise calories first thing in the morning. That will correct itself as you start moving around.
    • Enter all your exercise in FitBit. Don't bother with entering it in MFP as you were likely instructed. It's not worth it. For step based exercise (walking, running, aerobic dance, etc.) you can just let your FitBit handle everything. For non-step based exercise (swimming, biking, weight lifting, etc.) enter those in FitBit.
    • Eat most, or all, of your FitBit adjustments back. The calorie deficit you've set in MFP is already accounted for.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The day you set up your Fitbit it has to guesstimate your burn since midnight, so the first day's burn is always a mess.
  • Bamagrl96
    Bamagrl96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had my HR for about week now and was wondering if there was a way MFP would be able to automatically post how many steps I have taken at the end of the day or calories burned during exercise to my Status page? It used to do that when I entered my exercise in MFP and now that track on fitbit it doesn't...???
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Bamagrl96 wrote: »
    I have had my HR for about week now and was wondering if there was a way MFP would be able to automatically post how many steps I have taken at the end of the day or calories burned during exercise to my Status page? It used to do that when I entered my exercise in MFP and now that track on fitbit it doesn't...???

Nope, but you can post your exercise as a status update.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I also wish that step counts were posted to MFP, but they are not. You can add your MFP friends to be Fitbit friends, and can share your steps that way.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

This^^^^^

When I first got my Charge HR.....I was told to stop logging exercise in MFP as the FB does it all for you.....After a couple of week I felt it looked like I was being lazy and stopping workouts on my news feed.....so now ever time I do workout...I just post it as a news feed post...write it yourself.......same thing really....you can add more info this way too....but don't log in MFP...thats my advice...let your FB do the work....

• happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »

This^^^^^

When I first got my Charge HR.....I was told to stop logging exercise in MFP as the FB does it all for you.....After a couple of week I felt it looked like I was being lazy and stopping workouts on my news feed.....so now ever time I do workout...I just post it as a news feed post...write it yourself.......same thing really....you can add more info this way too....but don't log in MFP...thats my advice...let your FB do the work....

I felt the same way about not posting my workouts on the news feed. I just post my workout on the news feed with only 1 calorie so my friends see I'm still working but then Fitbit can adjust my calories as needed.

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    hmvanwink wrote: »

This^^^^^

I felt the same way about not posting my workouts on the news feed. I just post my workout on the news feed with only 1 calorie so my friends see I'm still working but then Fitbit can adjust my calories as needed.

Be careful with times when you do that. If you enter the actual duration of your workout with a 1 calorie burn, then you can end up essentially removing your workout from your daily calories due to how Fitbit and MFP sync.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »

This^^^^^

Be careful with times when you do that. If you enter the actual duration of your workout with a 1 calorie burn, then you can end up essentially removing your workout from your daily calories due to how Fitbit and MFP sync.

Exactly, big time mistake to enter a workout with actual duration but only 1 calorie.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

This^^^^^

bad idea. Logging workouts on MFP will replace the calorie burn for the time period and duration on Fitbit. By logging 1 calorie, you end up wiping out your calorie burn (even BMR) on Fitbit.

@hmvanwink - you might want to watch this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8duevx9y9TY&feature=youtu.be