Can you keto some times but not all the time?

auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I may not have a full understanding on this yet. I've noticed my normal days my macros would indicate I'm eating to be full keto. But other days I'm not. Is this a bad thing? Is it ok to bounce back and forth like that? I'm apprehensive to go all in on it because I tend to get carried away and I don't want to go to extreme.

Replies

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    If you feel fine doing this, then yes. Some people might have keto "flu" symptoms. However, in nature, it was normal to bounce in and out of ketosis depending on season and food availability.
  • YourKnight
    YourKnight Posts: 9 Member
    In my admittedly limited experience, I concur with Ms. "FatFuel2", that from an evolutionary perspective (if you believe in such matters... which I do) we developed to allow for switching primary fuel substrates. Also there's a lot of buzz around a cyclical ketogenic approach, to periodically address (via healthy carbs) dwindling glycogen stores in the muscles. I'm no expert, and would love to hear others thoughts on your question.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    There are multiple aspects of keto-adaptation and varying degrees of ketone usage. To be fully adapted, you have to keep carbs low enough to remain glycogen depleted for about three weeks. After that, you should be able to switch between ketones and glucose pretty easily.

Once you eat high-carb, your glycogen stores will be replenished, and it will take several days to deplete them enough to start using ketones again.

You should be able to avoid the fatigue aspects of the "flu," but you'll still feel some of the effects of the switch (perhaps a headache as your brain switches from glucose to ketone, perhaps some changes related to reduced mucous production, etc.).

Experiment! :)
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    For me the answer has to be no... I can't... I had a very hard time becoming keto adapted... No way an I going to break this for a cookie or even a McD ice cream cone.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Look at Mark Sisson's "carbohydrate curve": http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    kirkor wrote: »

Omg thank you so much for this link. This is like all the info I've been questioning in such a simple format.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member

So when Sisson says--

"0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods"

--what would be considered a safe period for an obese (me) person to keep to 20-25 carbs/day? It will take a long time to lose 80 or so pounds.

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member

So when Sisson says--

"0-50 grams per day: Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods"

--what would be considered a safe period for an obese (me) person to keep to 20-25 carbs/day? It will take a long time to lose 80 or so pounds.

Forever.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Ok then.

Thanks!
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member

That is a great link. Yesterday my sister-in-law (who last saw me about 50 pounds ago) asked me, "What's your secret?" My usual answer is something on the order of "There is no secret." Providing this link is a better response.

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member

Thanks Kirkor, never seen that. I have been doing exactly that (the first one, under 50 w/IF) and I figured it out on my own! Its a good "confirmation" ~ by an expert~ that I'm doin' right! :D

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    In my case the answer is no.