How Would You Characterize Your Old Eating Habits?

Options
Twibbly
Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
Just out of curiosity, how would you characterize your old eating habits?

I was on the "Hummingbird Diet", where you eat half your weight in sugar every day. I had no problems with eating cake or cookies for pretty much every meal and considered pumpkin pie to be a vegetable.

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For the most part, low carb since 1998, just too much of it and a few too many "treat days" that often became "treat weeks." Oh, and the wine...yeah, the wine. ;-)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I fell for the CICO, and it never worked! Also gained the most while eating low fat!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Too much of a good thing, according to SAD. Too many carbs, a lot were "healthy" and some were not. Not very much fat at all.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    "Low carb" since 2010, with the same cheat weeks that tru2one described, often bleeding into each other and becoming cheat months.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Just too many calories.. and too many cookies. I didn't realize I was eating upwards of 2500 calories a day. I also didn't realize I really had a sweets problem until a few months ago. I thought it was the cheese (well yes, it is the cheese too, but I can lose weight eating cheese, but not cookies) snacking every hour, a couple 20-30 grams of cheese on a cracker about 3 to 4 times a day. Huge dinners (which I still eat, just a different composition.. lots of veggies now) small chocolate binges and potato chips almost every night. But there are things I REALLY miss... oh well.. gotta sacrifice SOMETHING. I literally can't have my cake and eat it too..
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Compulsive snacker. Only gained about 1-2lb each year since high school, so ended up 30-40lbs overweight. Fat enough to be threatened with statins by my doc, so trying LC instead. :)
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Basically i was a lazy eater (lots of liquid calories and late night fast food combined with a yearly membership to the gym from January to march) for about a decade. Then a stern CICO for about a year and then i saw the light last august... :-)
  • rkufeke
    rkufeke Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've always cooked from scratch, and generally "healthy" foods- whole grains, lots of veggies & fruits, good protein, lower fat (like the sub greek yogurt for mayo type tricks). I've played with paleo, was gluten- and dairy-free for 18 months, but for the most part in the past 2-3 years have tried to focus on "clean" eating. Thankfully, because I have always done a fairly good job making real food, my kids (8, 6, and 3) actually eat pretty well, aren't afraid of vegetables, and ask for fruit as a snack. I am the only one in the family who has struggled with weight; my husband actually has the opposite problem and struggles to gain any weight (he is 6'4" and weighs between 165-170... less than I weigh at 5'4"!), and my kids are all around the 25th percentile for weight.
    Then a couple of months ago I had an upper endoscopy, and they said I had villous damage and inflammation consistent with either celiac, an eating disorder, or overuse of NSAID's. Since I've never had an eating disorder, and have to be dying before I actually think to take a pain killer (seriously, I have babies without drugs, I'm not the type to pop a pill for a headache!), I figured I probably should go gluten-free again... and since I also needed to lose weight I figured I'd try keto. Originally I found it via I Breathe I'm Hungry (via Pinterest), and her meal plans made it seem super easy and do-able, and I even was able to convince my friend and her husband to do it with me.
    The hardest part for me has actually been to not have my husband and kids on the diet with me... I do make a lot of LCHF dinners and they eat them too, but usually I will give them something else on the side...
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lots of fruit and veggies and "healthy" grains, low fat, low calories. Just like the doctors told me. They were happy with my diet, and said I just needed to exercise at least an hour every day. Ended up at 236 lbs. Yes, had ice cream sometimes, but really stuck to diet for the most part.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I was a seafood vegetarian for 26 years, and lactose intolerant for about 10-12 years, and gluten free for the past few years as well.
    For the most part, I think I ate "healthy foods", but wasn't really losing any weight because I was eating too much. Once I started weighing and measuring everything, it became painfully clear how MUCH overeating I was doing. For a sedentary computer worker, that's just not good.

I am "paleo-curious" and like the ideas and recipes I saw for the paleo diet. Occasionally I picked up paleo meals and snacks from a local prepared food chain called Snap Kitchen. I loved that the food was categorized and labeled very clearly with regards to what it had in it and dietary styles it might be good for, and almost everything there is gluten-free (and LOTS of dairy free).

When both my fiance and some of my co-workers got into the keto dietary lifestyle, I started studying it and trying to figure out if I could make it work with my dietary restrictions at the time. I even played with a few recipes that still fit into "seafood vegetarian with no dairy or gluten" and thought, "Hey, I might be able to do this."
    I played with recipes and numbers, and decided it probably wouldn't work out for me. Finally took the plunge and started eating dairy again to see how well the daily probiotics I've been having were working. They did. YAY! Hurdle one.
    I made some chocolate-covered bacon (keto friendly unsweetened) as a test and gave it to co-workers, then made it again for my fiance. The bacon smelled so good...and I had some left over...
    Somehow it made its way into the skillet and into my mouth. Well, there I went. Full on back to eating piggies and birdies...but I still won't touch "red" meat.

26 years of seafood vegetarian gone in the bite of a bacon. I think food's started to turn around again and get back to having cleaner and healthier versions available. Besides, it's nice to be able to sit down and eat a meal with my fiance vs. "his and hers" plates. haha

-T.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Compulsive snacker.

This is me. Even when I am full I still find myself looking for something to snack on. My mom is the same way... and so is my daughter!
  • tiffanycherie
    tiffanycherie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have never been in denial about loving sweets and junk food. I could care less about eating a meal or real food as long as I had some snacks to eat. Muffins, donuts, chips, crackers and cheese, whatever falls into the junk food category. Some people think about going low carb and say they wouldn't be able to handle it b/c they would miss the bread and pasta. My answer would be what about the cake and ice cream forget the bread. lol. If you would have asked me before did I get fat from overeating, my answer would have easily been no. I felt like I grazed/snacked all day and maybe had 1 meal. How could one get fat from that? It wasn't until I tried CICO and logged my food did I realize how little serving you get for the calories. It's very easy to overeat on junk food, b/c unless you eat A LOT you never really feel full or stuffed like you would from eating a meal. Hints the reason low carb is best for me. To avoid the sweets all together.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Oh gracious, I used to eat so healthy! But then I had babies, three kids in three years, and breastfed each one. During pregnancy I ate whatever I could (because my appetite wasn't great--I was hungry, but I had such bad indigestion and nausea that I couldn't stomach much), which usually ended up being sandwiches, potato chips, crackers, cold cereal... and then after the babies were born and I was breastfeeding I would be insatiably hungry and, because I was breastfeeding, you know, I'd allow myself extra calories each day in the form of something super carby and sugary like a piece of cake or some ice cream or a cinnamon roll. I would make pancakes at least every other week, eat waffles or a bagel for breakfast, eat sandwiches and chips and something sweet for lunch, snack on more chips when I got home while dealing with the kids, then eat some "lazy food" (pizza, fast food, frozen dinner) before bed. And repeat. I never had much of a sweet tooth until a few years ago. I pretty much told myself that pregnancy was the only time in my life people wouldn't criticize me for being fat or for eating whatever I wanted. And then my milk supply would inevitably tank at some point postpartum (in retrospect, probably when I got pregnant again in two of those cases), and some well-meaning fellow moms told me their supply would decrease if they didn't eat donuts (yes, donuts) or cake (yup, cake) every day. So I started eating sweets every.single.day. Honestly it was that very thing that led me to this WOE. The sweets. I was literally halfway through a box of Valentine's chocolates in about an hour's time frame (mindless eating, grabbing one each time I walked by) and just decided that was it. I was done. And then I stumbled upon y'all..... :)
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    By the way, with the exception of one box of Atkins chocolate bars and a couple tablespoons of peanut butter, I haven't had sweets since then (since the Valentine's chocolates, I mean). And I haven't regretted it for a second.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Living the American Nightmare Diet. I grew up in a house where we had something frozen, delivered or from a drive thru every night. Every once in a while (a few times per year) my mom would get the urge to cook for a few weeks. Hot dogs and mac n cheese, casseroles with cream soup in them, pasta with garlic bread but no salad. Once in a while things like pork chops or a roast, and any veggies on the side would be drowning in butter and cheese. I drank HiC or KoolAid until I was 10 or so, and then was allowed to drink Coke all day like my parents. Never wanted water, they never suggested it. The only fish I'd had either had Charlie on the label or said "filet o" on the box.

I had no idea what plain, normal food was supposed to taste like until years after I'd moved out on my own. To my mind, if it didn't taste like sugar and salt, it tasted wrong.
  • tiffanycherie
    tiffanycherie Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Living the American Nightmare Diet. I grew up in a house where we had something frozen, delivered or from a drive thru every night. Every once in a while (a few times per year) my mom would get the urge to cook for a few weeks. Hot dogs and mac n cheese, casseroles with cream soup in them, pasta with garlic bread but no salad. Once in a while things like pork chops or a roast, and any veggies on the side would be drowning in butter and cheese. I drank HiC or KoolAid until I was 10 or so, and then was allowed to drink Coke all day like my parents. Never wanted water, they never suggested it. The only fish I'd had either had Charlie on the label or said "filet o" on the box.

I had no idea what plain, normal food was supposed to taste like until years after I'd moved out on my own. To my mind, if it didn't taste like sugar and salt, it tasted wrong.

Lmao. I feel bad for laughing but how you wrote it is Hilarious!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I went on Atkins in the middle 80s ... Then had a couple of cheat decades... Back now.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I ate what was a considered a pretty good diet.

I like to cook so I cooked a lot of meals with loads of veggies and sauces. 2 Eggs with whatever left over veg on a piece of toast every morning for breakfast. There was always plentiful fruits (we live in the sub tropics so always cheap and plentiful fruit and veg). Natural pot set yogurts. So lots of fruit, vegetables with some meat thrown in.

1-2 coffees with 2 very heaped tsp of sugar. Plenty of water.

Pizza/kfc/fish and chips once a week.
    Potato chips and softdrink on the weekends only.

Ended up at 340lb - 155kg.

My husband (6'3" and lanky) could never understand why I would continue to gain weight considering I ate what was considered far better than he did.

Now we know. ;)
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sugar
    Starches all week and candy all weekend.
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Quatroux wrote: »
    Sugar
    Starches all week and candy all weekend.

Actually, I can do better. I used to drink SIX 20oz. Dr Peppers PER DAY! I lost 50 pounds just by eliminating soft drinks. That's my old WOE.