Posting instead of eating

Options
ahealthiercara
ahealthiercara Posts: 139 Member
Feeling emotional today and I want to eat everything. It does not help that today I am working alone at an office that is attached to a warehouse FULL of food that I can get up and pull from any time I want.

I had such a good day yesterday without even really trying - it makes it that much more disappointing to feel like this today. Like its 2 steps forward and one step back. I feel like I'm white-knuckling it to not open a bag of chips and eat the whole thing.

I'm going to go take a walk around the building and see if that helps. What do you do to not resort to eating when you feel like this?

Replies

• diana_marie8302
    diana_marie8302 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A little snack might help. Something healthy. Otherwise, instead of a big bag of chips, can you find a small bag? Do you have almonds nearby? That's my go to snack when I'm at work.
  • ahealthiercara
    Options
    I tried to distract myself but wound up eating a half a bag of chips with my otherwise healthy lunch, then still not being satisfied, I popped some microwave popcorn and at half of that bag too and now I'm uncomfortably full. :(
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Cara, it might help you create a "pleasant alternatives list." A list of things that you give yourself permission to do whenever you feel like overeating. I have one posted right at my desk at work: "You are given permission to: stretch, lay down, go outside and breathe, walk to nearby woods, read poetry, write poetry, write in journal, have a cry break." One issue I have is giving myself time to handle my emotions and stress. Overeating is a great shortcut, but it doesn't fix the problem in the long term. I find it helps to explicitly give myself permission to take the time to do things that I know will help.
  • ahealthiercara
    Options
    Cara, it might help you create a "pleasant alternatives list." A list of things that you give yourself permission to do whenever you feel like overeating. I have one posted right at my desk at work: "You are given permission to: stretch, lay down, go outside and breathe, walk to nearby woods, read poetry, write poetry, write in journal, have a cry break." One issue I have is giving myself time to handle my emotions and stress. Overeating is a great shortcut, but it doesn't fix the problem in the long term. I find it helps to explicitly give myself permission to take the time to do things that I know will help.

I like that idea - breaking the habit of using food to mask/soothe my emotions is the hardest thing about this weight loss journey. Finding alternate soothing mechanisms is essential but in the moment I forget what those are. Posting my own note at work today!
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with this all day, everyday, especially as of late. All I want to do is eat to make my emotions go away && then I get more emotional after it is all said and done. Thank you for sharing some of your coping ways!