Newly diagnosed with T2 diabetes

Options
msderes
msderes Posts: 11 Member
I was just diagnosed with T2 on april 1, and it was not a joke. my A1c was 7.2 and my BG was 167 (fasting). Now I am on oral and injections, and I am nauseated all the time. I could really use some support please.
Thanks y'all

Replies

• JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Actually, for a new diagnosis a 7.2 isn't that bad. My son was diagnosed when he was 5 as a type 1 and I think he was a 13.5
    I will be glad to offer whatever support I can to you. You can add me if you want
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @msderes; Sorry to hear about your reaction to your Diabetic meds. A diagnosis of Diabetes can often come as a shock. The good news is that for most people, adopting a serious and disciplined approach enables us to live healthy and active lives. One of the really frustrating things about diabetes is that it's a very individual condition. What causes you to have a glucose spike may leave me unaffected. The most effective approach is to try and identify those foods which cause you to spike and then either eliminate these foods from your diet or significantly reduce them. To do this you should consider buying a glucose meter and test before you eat and about 2 hours after your meal. You should make every effort to educate yourself about diabetes and more importantly the potential complications which can arise. An excellent source of info would be Bloodsugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl. I found this to be an easy read and very informative. Finally if you have not yet been offered a diabetes education course you should follow this up with your Dr. With a disciplined approach there is no reason to think that you should not live a healthy and active life. You can add me if you feel I can help. I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active life.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at the varying initial reactions by doctors. When I was diagnosed I had a 345 fasting BGL, a A1C of 11 ...and they only put me on metformin, and 3 months in my 30 day avg BGL is like 108 (combining fasting and post meal readings).
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what Robert and Stephen said. It's a tough thing to hear but not necessarily a death sentence. My Mother was insulin dependent for more than 30 years She passed away last month at the age of 87. On the other hand a close friend of mine passed in January at 57 less than 10 years after his diagnosis. It's a condition which can be managed but management requires both education and commitment.

The site Robert recommende can be found here
    http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am sorry to hear about your condition. It isn't fun. I also am diabetic. But, the important thing is that you now are aware you have something to manage. If you can manage diabetes well, you can stay pretty healthy. It takes diet, exercise, and usually medication. I would suggest talking to the doctor who put you on the medicine, as it may need adjusted. It will take a while to figure out how to manage it. Everyone's body is different. Try to hang in there, stay positive, and work to get where you need to be.
  • msderes
    msderes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice ! I really appreciate the feedback and the insight. I will see my Doctor again tomorrow to discuss the meds, symptoms and I will certainly ask her about a class ( thank you Robert) . :)
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    msderes wrote: »
    I was just diagnosed with T2 on april 1, and it was not a joke. my A1c was 7.2 and my BG was 167 (fasting). Now I am on oral and injections, and I am nauseated all the time. I could really use some support please.
    Thanks y'all

Strange that they put you on insulin for a 'relatively' low A1C (Mine was 12 when I was diagnosed) Usually they just start with diet and Metformin and glipizide.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    To the OP: are you being medicated by your family doctor or an endocrinologist? Quite a few family doctors are stuck in 1990's diabetes education. I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist who's current with today's research and see if you can get off those injections. That seems really odd to be injecting with such "low" numbers.
  • LorraineZinn
    LorraineZinn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I suspect the OP's medication is not insulin, but rather one of the newer incretin therapies like Byetta. Are you injecting twice a day, OP? Nausea is a very prominent symptom of those drugs. Some patients adjust to it, but most are more comfortable on one of the long-acting preparations, like Bydureon or Tanzeum. They use one injection a week, and they seem to have less nausea associated. You might ask about one of those, msderes! Best of luck to you on your new health challenge!