Size Changes - Need encouragement

Options
hineybuns
hineybuns Posts: 5 Member
Hey all! I'm pretty new to this group but have been ketoing since before Christmas. I tend to obsess if I weigh daily or weekly so I'm trying to just weigh once a month but I'm tracking my measurements weekly instead. Up until recently I was just tracking on an excel sheet at home.

The way I gain/lose weight is kind of a blessing and a curse. I gain and lose weight very evenly over my body. This is great if I gain weight as I can stay in the same size clothes for a very long time but it's also a curse on the other side as it takes me upwards of 40 pounds to drop a size! (Currently working on getting out of my 20 and into an 18) It's super discouraging to see the numbers go down and down both on the scale and on the tape measure and to still be the same pant size! Everyone comments on how great I'm looking but it's hard for me to internalize that and feel good myself when all I'm seeing is that despite my hard work for months I haven't been able to reach this tangible change! I have a good handful of pants that I can't wait to get back into and everyone keeps telling me "5 more pounds and you'll have it", but when I know I'm at least 15-20 pounds away from it still, I get kinda depressed. I've gotten much better about comparing myself to others' speed of loss (I get 1-2 lbs a week which is good, solid and steady but I don't know if I'll ever stop hoping for a couple 4 or 5 pound weeks!)

Anyone have suggestions for NSVs to look for? I think finding small victories whenever I can will help keep me encouraged while I work towards the smaller pant size.

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    174,203 Ways to Measure Health (Besides the Scale): http://whole9life.com/2012/08/new-health-scale/

I LOVE this article, it's awesome.
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I know what you are saying. I am the same. I change sizes every 20-25 lbs. That's a long time to wait and see and feel a difference. I just lost 12 -14 LBS and other than having a little bit smaller stomach nothing changed. But I know after another 5-10 lbs my pants will be looser. So, just don't get discouraged and keep at it. After the first 40 lbs and the first size change you will need 5 lbs less than before to change sizes and so on. Don't be sad! Hugs!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Think how beautiful you are with your well proportioned body! I have lost around my upper waist but it just enhances how big my belly still is!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    hineybuns wrote: »
    Hey all! I'm pretty new to this group but have been ketoing since before Christmas. I tend to obsess if I weigh daily or weekly so I'm trying to just weigh once a month but I'm tracking my measurements weekly instead. Up until recently I was just tracking on an excel sheet at home.

The way I gain/lose weight is kind of a blessing and a curse. I gain and lose weight very evenly over my body. This is great if I gain weight as I can stay in the same size clothes for a very long time but it's also a curse on the other side as it takes me upwards of 40 pounds to drop a size! (Currently working on getting out of my 20 and into an 18) It's super discouraging to see the numbers go down and down both on the scale and on the tape measure and to still be the same pant size! Everyone comments on how great I'm looking but it's hard for me to internalize that and feel good myself when all I'm seeing is that despite my hard work for months I haven't been able to reach this tangible change! I have a good handful of pants that I can't wait to get back into and everyone keeps telling me "5 more pounds and you'll have it", but when I know I'm at least 15-20 pounds away from it still, I get kinda depressed. I've gotten much better about comparing myself to others' speed of loss (I get 1-2 lbs a week which is good, solid and steady but I don't know if I'll ever stop hoping for a couple 4 or 5 pound weeks!)

Anyone have suggestions for NSVs to look for? I think finding small victories whenever I can will help keep me encouraged while I work towards the smaller pant size.

I will just say that for those of us who lose disproportionately, which the slow size changes may be annoying to you, changing sizes what seems like every 5 minutes, but only in some things, is almost as infuriating! Besides, by doing it steadily, it's easier to maintain!
  • hineybuns
    hineybuns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouraging words! I was having a super crappy day both at work and emotionally and you all helped me keep from going the easy route and ordering food I shouldn't eat with my coworkers.
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It was a full year and 35 pounds before I could fit in the next size down, and then I had a muffin. Now 45 pounds down, those same clothes finally fit. Fifteen months from beginning until I pulled those pants on comfortably.

I lost weight in my hands and neck far faster than anywhere else. Heck, I have elbows now. Changing sizes though? Not so much.
  • GymBard
    GymBard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you're beautiful at the size you are right now. How about letting that sink in, then look for other reasons to motivate your weight loss? Why not focus on being healthy and active, perhaps pick an activity or sport and get passionate about that instead of fixating on your clothes size? Try to fall in love with living your life and the pounds will just melt away, unnoticed and unminded.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    ^^ great advice.

But hey, the larger sizes have more pounds between them, and as you go down, you'll notice the difference doesn't take as long. For example, now that I'm wearing smaller sizes, it doesn't take much at all (5 lbs or so) to make things too darn tight. I know this because I just came back from an indulgent vacation 6# up, and my clothes are tight when they were not before I left. For reference, I now wear a 4 or 6, and some things an 8. Focusing on the number is never good because manufacturers are all different and it isn't really that important in the grand scheme of things. I hope that doesn't come across like I'm invalidating your feelings, because I'm not. I've been where you are. I had to lose about 20 lbs before anyone even noticed. That was frustrating. And my clothes size didn't change for a long time, but all of a sudden, I couldn't wear anything because it was all hanging off me. Maybe your clothes are looking baggier than you can see right now. It does take time for the mind to catch up. I'm pretty much at goal, but I still grab the wrong sizes when shopping, and I don't see yet, what everyone else does. It's getting better, though.

Some NSVs to look for:
    more prominent collar bones
    underwear getting too big
    being able to do things you couldn't do before without being out of breath
    better sex
    a youthful glow from eating so well
    less hunger and cravings
    inches lost (you said you have this already)
    belt notch going down

And always be grateful and congratulate yourself on your victories, because that is exactly what they are, and you deserve recognition for your continued efforts.

Congrats on your loss, and I can't wait to see your Success Story.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to measure success ended up being with a little selfie project I started for myself. I found that even though I was losing big numbers, I never *felt* like I'd lost weight even though everyone was commenting. So I started taking a selfie every day or couple of days and I had a rule that I took one and that was it. Not 20 to find the best one. Just one. I did post mine on instagram and my friends were awesome at supporting them, but you don't have to show them to anyone but yourself. Once a week, the first day at the gym for the week, I'd take a front and side full body shot too. This way I wore about the same thing each time and could use the full length mirrors there. Then I would copy and paste them side by side in a document and watch how very different my face and body looked from day to day and week to week. The change, so subtle when you are just looking in the mirror, was astounding and beautiful and fun to watch. I've lost over 100lbs so my changes are a lot slower and more subtle now (some places aren't changing anymore at all) so I don't take pictures anymore as regularly, but I still take them every few weeks.

Good luck - don't get discouraged. When the changes do happen, the really noticable ones, it's absolutely the most fun. Please keep us updated!