Has anyone had their extra skin removed?

Options
5555price
5555price Posts: 18 Member
Hi - Has anyone had surgery to have the extra skin removed and were you able to get it covered by your insurance? My highest weight was 433lbs, my surgery weight was 385 and my current weight is 245. I have A LOT of extra skin which I did expect. I am not so worried about my arms, but my stomach and inner thighs are ridiculous. So much so that I get bad rashes and sores/boils no matter what I try. Wanted to see if anyone in this group has had any luck with getting it covered by insurance and if not, then out of pocket and approximately how much that might cost. If of course you want to share that :smile: I do still have some weight to lose, would like to get to 180 and maintain around there. Exercise can be hard with all this extra skin though. I do fine walking, but any sort of running is awkward.

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I started off at 382 and now I am at 174. I have a LOT of loose skin. I recently went to consult with the plastic surgeon to see about having skin removal surgery. Here is a copy of my post in the VSG group -

Last week I had a consultation with the plastic surgeon. I want to have skin removal on my stomach, tummy tuck, arms, breasts, and thighs done. He wanted to focus on what he thought would make the biggest difference and what would be partially covered by insurance, which is the stomach. He wants to do a panniculectomy (skin removal) with extended abdominoplasty (tummy tuck/muscle tightening) and belt lipectomy (lower body lift). Basically I will be cut both horizontally and vertically, and tightened and lifted. Trust me, I need all of this. I am hoping to have it done this summer.

So here are some things that people asked me about -

Cost - approximately $20,000 without insurance. I was told my insurance would cover $8,000 to $10,000 and I would have to cover the rest. I am currently waiting for the insurance approval. The insurance covers skin removal only. They said occasionally it's denied, but usually with an appeal it gets approved.

Recovery - The surgeon said he had a tummy tuck and he went back to work after a week, but took it easy. He said I can resume exercise (excluding abdominal exercise) after two weeks. Drains have to stay in for about 4 weeks. They want you up and walking around as soon as possible.

Scarring - there will be scars, but the sutures are under the skin so the scars won't be as bad as some scars, and he said mine would heal fine. He also said that the surgery will eliminate a lot of my stretch marks.

Other information -

Skin removal on my arms - surgeon said normally he would have to do liposuction first but he won't have to in my case. The arm surgery also removes the overhang that some of us ladies have when we wear a bra. I plan to do this surgery as soon as I can after the stomach surgery.

Skin removal on thighs - surgeon said he would have to do liposuction in advance of this surgery and some will have to be done during the surgery. He said I could have the lipo on my thighs before the stomach surgery if I want to and I might just do that.

Fat transfer - I asked the surgeon if he could do fat transfer to my breasts and he said that it really doesn't give the desired effect. He said I would do better with lift/implants. They do fat transfer to plump up the face sometimes.

Weight of excess skin - he said usually he removes 5-10 lbs of skin during this surgery, but I might have more than that, and he said after the surgery many of his patients also end up losing about another 5 lbs.
  • 5555price
    5555price Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you, very informative!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    5555price, I was 386 at my highest, 222 now and I too want to get down below 200. Like you I have a lot of excess skin, arms, stomach, thighs. Even my behind is starting to fold over the top of my thighs. I too want it all removed, but am being told the insurance will not cover anything but the stomach and that because I have 2 hernias to fix, so that creates a tummy tuck. The thing I find most annoying is my waist is a size 16 but my thighs are a size 22. Same with the arms, so everything has to be stretchy or a wide leg in pants or I can't wear it, And the way the thighs and arms undulate when I move is embarrassing. I swear, I'm going to fake a nervous breakdown and see if I can get the insurance company to cover this as an emotional disorder. :)
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Pat, that reminds me, the lower body lift will lift my butt too. It's not cute. And when I am on the elliptical at the gym, I feel like my arms are a blur if I go fast. Can't wait to get this all done, but it will be a process for sure.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Guess I need to start saving a bit more. I'm definitely thinking of the tummy tuck, but I haven't had infections, so I don't think insurance will cover. My thighs are my vain point and so I want to get those done too. I want to be able to wear shorts in the summer without feeling like everyone's looking at my saggy elephant wrinkles.
  • exoticpumpkin
    exoticpumpkin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm six years out, RNY, went from 326 to 190. I maintained that weight for 3 years and decided to get a tummy tuck. Pre and post surgery I lifted heavy weights religiously so I only needed a mini abdominoplasty (no muscle tightening) to remove stomach skin. Thighs were fine, just mid section has extra skin.

I paid around 10,000 and took 2 weeks off of work... it was pretty painful, especially trying to stand up straight, felt like my skin was going to seperate, but it didn't, it was fine, just painful. Insurance didn't cover any of it, but it was a great investment. I put it on a credit card with 0% interest and paid it off over 18 months. Might work for some people, others might not.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am 8 years out, lapband, I went from 312 to 140, band slipped, gained back 80 and am currently sitting at the 190 mark. I have about 40 left before I will have my lower body lift done, however I had my upper body lift done the end of Jan. The second greatest thing I have ever done for myself (the first being my lapband). I had to pay for mine out of my pocket and it cost $15,000, but it was worth every penny!
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just thinking about this whole topic makes me super nervous. I'm only one week post surgery. I lost 40lbs before surgery and now another 12lbs since. I still have a long way to go but the thought of another surgery slightly scares me. I wish you all the best!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    I'm considering upper body (arms, breasts) or lower body (thighs, abdomen). Each is about $10,000-$15,000 and not covered by my insurance since no medical problems.

The surgery doesn't sound the scary from what my plastic surgeon described. I tell myself it's like cutting myself and getting stitched up. It's just skin-deep, not terribly invasive for me since no liposuction is required. Back to work in two weeks.

• Trayjay33
    Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know why some insurance companies pay for the cost of post weight loss plastic surgery and others don't? I have really big breasts and losing weight causes a lot of back pain.
  • bonzaburns
    bonzaburns Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm hearing you Moe0112. I am five weeks since surgery and can't imagine going under the knife again. But, maybe in a year or so, I will be considering it...lol

I hate my batwings, they are looking pretty bad already.

Cheers Chris
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @Trajay33, most insurance will pay for plastic surgery if there is a documented (by your pcp) problem that is continual. But you must have documented treatment too, in most cases. If it's making your back hurt, go to your doctor for it. If you don't see improvement with the treatment, then you can ask for a referral to a plastic surgeon. Hope this helps!
  • Trayjay33
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @Trajay33, most insurance will pay for plastic surgery if there is a documented (by your pcp) problem that is continual. But you must have documented treatment too, in most cases. If it's making your back hurt, go to your doctor for it. If you don't see improvement with the treatment, then you can ask for a referral to a plastic surgeon. Hope this helps!

Thank you for your response, I looked in to it years ago prior to weight loss surgery and I was told about the physical therapy. I gained weight and it wasn't as bad. But now it's back again and worse. I will pursue it once again. I appreciate your time.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I looked into back in May 2013 after loosing all my weight. It was too expensive for me. I paid $100 fee to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon that works with my WLS program. Even with the discounted rate, have my tummy and upper arm skin removed was like $12000. They would do two areas at one time they said no more due the time it takes for the actual surgery. Too have tummy, upper arms, butt, inner thighs and bust done it was close to $50,000-$60,000 and my insurance wouldn't cover it cause it is consider cosmetic and even the plastic surgeon said very rarely do health insurance cover it due to skin rashes in his history.
    So, unless I win the lottery (which I don't play!) inherent a bunch $$$$ or cash in my savings and retirement I won't be having it done. If I could just pick one double area to have done it would probably be tummy and upper arms. I wear a bra so that covers the bra and lifting of boobs, I don't wear short shorts or dress so clothes cover my upper thighs and butt. I wear sleeveless shirts but do not like that loose flappy batwing look I sport. I have worked out, lifted weights since 2012 and even the professional trainers at gyms told me lifting only helps so much. It depends on how much you lost, how long you were obsese. The younger you are and haven't been obsese long you have a good chance your skin will snap back.
    Good luck!
  • chckmeowt
    chckmeowt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My husband is 15 months out of his sleeve. He had 4 hernias repaired on Wednesday and a skin removal on his stomach. It was covered entirely by insurance (except the deductable) because of the hernias. The surgeon said he couldn't fix the hernias without removing skin. He basically has an upside down T on his abdomen. All his scars from previous hernia surgery and his sleeve are gone, the surgeon removed about 5lbs of skin from that small area.
  • Trayjay33
    Options
    spfldpam wrote: »
    I looked into back in May 2013 after loosing all my weight. It was too expensive for me. I paid $100 fee to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon that works with my WLS program. Even with the discounted rate, have my tummy and upper arm skin removed was like $12000. They would do two areas at one time they said no more due the time it takes for the actual surgery. Too have tummy, upper arms, butt, inner thighs and bust done it was close to $50,000-$60,000 and my insurance wouldn't cover it cause it is consider cosmetic and even the plastic surgeon said very rarely do health insurance cover it due to skin rashes in his history.
    So, unless I win the lottery (which I don't play!) inherent a bunch $$$$ or cash in my savings and retirement I won't be having it done. If I could just pick one double area to have done it would probably be tummy and upper arms. I wear a bra so that covers the bra and lifting of boobs, I don't wear short shorts or dress so clothes cover my upper thighs and butt. I wear sleeveless shirts but do not like that loose flappy batwing look I sport. I have worked out, lifted weights since 2012 and even the professional trainers at gyms told me lifting only helps so much. It depends on how much you lost, how long you were obsese. The younger you are and haven't been obsese long you have a good chance your skin will snap back.
    Good luck!

Hi, I'm in a similar situation, my upper body is a problem my lower body not so much. I won't wear anything sleeveless I have about 40 pounds more to lose. The upper arms and breasts are just loose skin and I have back fat hanging off. Well, I wouldn't change anything from having the surgery and I don't have that money or a hernia so I will have to deal with it. Thanks for the input ladies.
  • juneaubug
    juneaubug Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I actually just scheduled a consultation today! I'm 5'10, my highest weight was 350, about 320 when I started the pre-op diet for surgery, and I'm about 185 right now. I'm 18 months out from surgery. I'd still like to lose some more weight, but the bariatric surgeon suggested I go ahead and get the consultation and see what the plastic surgeon recommends. Oh, and they told me ball park for a total body lift is 20k. EEK. I don't think that includes arms, legs, or bust. And it's likely 2-3 surgeries, depending on how much you have done. I'll know more next week!!