Drink Your Water!!

Options
kayjosh2422
kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
How much should you drink? There are different opinions on this. Some say go with the 8X8 rule, 8oz water 8 times a day. Easy and simple to remember. Others say you should drink a half oz. for every pound you weigh. Some say half an oz. to an oz. per pound. Here is a link to some great information and a chart to help you see how much you should be drinking. Just slowly start adding more water to your day, yes you will run to the potty more but that will level off after a few days. Check out the link for more information, tips and benefits.
slenderkitchen.com/how-to-calculate-how-much-water-you-should-drink-a-day/

tkdz2av6t40l.png

Replies

• Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    That is very interesting.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Another perspective is that ignoring our body's thirst signals may help some, but does more harm than good for many, and we know it sometimes even leads to death due to hyponatremia. If you doubt your body and drink more than it indicates, try to drink slowly, and check your urine color vs. this chart to stay within the "golden" range--

http://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/10/what-the-color-of-your-urine-says-about-you-infographic/

For competitive or prolonged activity, consider an energy drink with sodium.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterlogged-Serious-Problem-Overhydration-Endurance/dp/145042497X

• tasuco
    tasuco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was recently told about the 1/2 per pound of body weight rule. I immediately started laughing because for sure there's a cap. If I followed that rule, I'm pretty sure I'd be the next exhibit at Sea World. I've been pushing water over the past 2 weeks and have become a frequent user of the bathroom, which I find very inconvenient. Overall, I'm aiming for over 100 ounces a day, which still leaves me visiting the bathroom every couple hours. How long do you suppose it takes for my body to adjust?
  • argonzalez4
    argonzalez4 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    good to know.. i should be drinking half a gallon then lol .. i'll just stick to drinking only water and no more soda's or any sweet drinks ..
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a minimum of 10 cups of water a day for the last 4 months. I still have to use the restroom a lot. But, I feel the effects if I don't. I would like to eventually get up to drinking a minimum of 12 cups of water a day.
  • 2CABetterMe
    2CABetterMe Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I notice a big fluctuation in my weight when I don't get my water in. I shoot for a minimum of 64 oz a day.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I try to drink anywhere from 80-100 oz of water a day. I also feel the effects if I don't drink enough. I drink herbal tea and 1 cup of coffee in the morning, then water, water, water the rest of the day.

I've never found that the potty breaks "even out". I go frequently throughout the day and that's just the way it is. I figure it's just flushing out the junk (and fat) quicker.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I've never found that the potty breaks "even out". I go frequently throughout the day and that's just the way it is. I figure it's just flushing out the junk (and fat) quicker.
    One "junk" water flushes out are electrolytes--e.g., sodium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphate. Electrolytes are essential to the survival and proper functioning of our body. If you believe you're overdoing one electrolyte, it's possible to limit it, rather than flushing out all of them.
  • taelor2
    taelor2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I don't mind drinking water, but having to drink so much is what gets me. It gets so boring and sometimes I just plain forget to drink it.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    One "junk" water flushes out are electrolytes--e.g., sodium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphate. Electrolytes are essential to the survival and proper functioning of our body. If you believe you're overdoing one electrolyte, it's possible to limit it, rather than flushing out all of them.

Well, I wouldn't consider electrolytes in the "junk" category, but I get what you're saying. Too much water can flush out the good stuff as well as the bad. Personally, I know that I retain fluid if I don't drink at least half my body weight in ounces and it seems that I have a natural thirst for that amount anyway.

What if you are supplementing with some of those (magnesium and potassium, for example). Do you think that would just be flushed out, as well, with excess water consumption?
  • taelor2
    taelor2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Managed to drink 90oz of water today, for the first time in a long time!
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Today's water goal is 60 oz.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    taelor2 wrote: »
    I don't mind drinking water, but having to drink so much is what gets me. It gets so boring and sometimes I just plain forget to drink it.
    taelor2 wrote: »

There are lots of non-boring ways to get the water in:
    • Herbal tea (non-caffeinated) counts as water and lots of yummy choices!
    • Mix a small amount of juice to a big glass of water. Just a little flavor helps.
    • Infused water is also great. Fill a pitcher with water and add a few strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. Or cucumber, lemon, mint, limes. Whatever you like. Let sit in the fridge overnight and you have tasty water for the next day.
    • Zero calorie sparkling water is also good. Can be a replacement for soda for people who like that fizzy.
  • groovigyrl
    groovigyrl Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I broke my record yesterday and drank 80 oz. :smile:
  • LogicalDaydreamer
    LogicalDaydreamer Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Finally took the time to convert all of these oz. recommendations to liters.
    It makes sense now.
    :tongue:
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    drink away today!!
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I buy bottles of water, but I refill my bottle. Last time, I bought a 8-pack of 24-ounce Aquafina bottles, and I've been using the same bottle for about two weeks now. I jeep extra pony holders on it, so. Not only know which bottle is mine, but I also always have a pint holder. I refill and drink at least 3 bottles a day, which equals 9 cups. I make sure I finish my first one by lunch, my second one before dinner, and at least one more before I go to bed. At least half the time, because of going to the gym or taking a ling walk (4+ miles), I will end up having 4 bottles of water, or 12 cups. I know that drinking enough water is hard for a lot of people, but not for me. I like water, and because I like saving my calories for yummy things I can chew on, its pretty much the only thing I drink, besides my cup of coffee in the morning.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    I use a 20oz bottle, I stay on a schedule. I drink my first 20 but 10am, the next by noon, than 2pm, 4pm, 6pm and last one by 8pm.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was recently at this event where they were selling 1.5L bottles of water. I bought a couple and have been keeping and refilling the bottles. That's about 50 oz each time I fill it. I have one in my office and one in my bedroom :)
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Really wish they had a like button!