Weight loss

Options
How much carbs should I have daily if I want to loss weight?

Replies

• Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It varies for each of us.

The official answer seems to be under 150g carbs a day is considered low carb. For many here that isn't low enough (for varying medical / metabolic reasons). Many of us here eat less than 50g (including me most days), many eat more than that. Some eat much less.

The key is balance - you need to find that sweet spot for you that lets you lose weight (if that's your main goal) and let's you eat in a way that you can live with.

There are calculators out there that can help you find a starting point - I'm sure someone here will come along and provide a link to one if you're interested.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    And here I am! LOL!
    http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

This guy's site is awesome all the way around. Great recipes!

Oh, edit to say I try and keep mine at 20g or less total, and that's kind of really really low. Though not Goat level low....
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I keep mine at 20g or less. Any more than that and I'm not in keto.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I do best on 20 or less, net. And not too much net, ie eating a bunch of really high fiber things in a day sets me back.
  • kbxiii
    kbxiii Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I keep mine between 20-30 net, overall never above 40, i stop losing weight..
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I keep mine below 20 net.... FYI... carbs minus fiber = net.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I mean, losing weight isn't about the carbs; its calories in calories out (yes, i'm a CICO person). Carbs aren't inherently bad, nor is fat. This group just happens to be centered on a low carb way of eating.

Now, your carb intake really depends on what kind of meal plan you want.

If you still love your bread and rice and pasta, then sticking closer to 100grams is probably a safe bet (two slices of bread will give you ~30ish grams, to put it in perspective. A single can of non-diet soda will also give you ~30grams). A lot of people here still feel that's too high of a carb count. Some opt for 50grams instead, which is still a decent amount of carb goodness you can enjoy if you watch out for the sugar.

If you're looking to do keto or atkins, then you'll follow me and the rest of the commenters who said they keep their carb intake below 20grams a day.

If you're looking to look into that, I really encourage you to do your research on keto and make sure you're getting enough fat and nutrients in your diet. Try looking at the keto faq on reddit (google search it), theres plenty of info there.

Ah, and yeah, pay attention to net carbs if you're living in the US. The US doesn't reduce fiber from the carb count, so we have to subtract it manually (fiber doesn't get digested so it doesn't "count" as a carb). Apparently Europe and other places automatically reduce the fiber from the carb count, so you needn't pay attention to that.