Started Keto

Options
erikgoya
erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
But no keto-flu.
Someone please explain.
Ketostix tell me I've got moderate amounts of ketones, so I'm clearly not screwing up there (I hope).
Am I just lucky and skipped past the crappy no good feeling part of it, or...what? If so, no complaints, but I don't feel any sort of "spike" in energy that I've heard about.
Granted, I dont' think my carbs have actually gone lower than 25-30 grams so far (I started keto last week).
I dunno, anyone have any insight?

I don't know if my journal is open or not, but I haven't really started logging my food entries yet, so there's no info there

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Started when?

First effect is probably diuretic, next is brain. Energy changes should take longer -- maybe 2-3 weeks.

Diuretic effect is no problem as long as you're properly hydrated. Watch for signs of low electrolytes if you're exercising and not supplementing.

Brain effects seem pretty minor. Maybe a slight headache or light-headedness.

Energy is the big one. You may want a nap soon. :)
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Started a week ago as of tomorrow.

I blow through about 3 or 4 32oz water bottles a day without trying as it is, so hydration isn't much of an issue.
    I so far haven't had an opportunity to work out yet because of the amount of school work I've had, but I'll probably start this weekend, so I'll have to look out for the electrolyte changes.

I've had slight headaches and some sleepiness, but I've mostly attributed that to the fact that on a normal school night I only get about 3-5 hours of sleep.

I know getting keto adapted can take a longer amount of time, but I'm just surprised I haven't really felt any of the negative effects yet.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I didn't get keto flu. It's not a given.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sajyana - you don't have to have keto flu! I just had one wobbly 5 minutes which I attributed to starting keto, but could have been anything else. Be happy and keto on!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I had one bad day and solved it with a cup of broth made from a bouillon cube. That convinced me to watch my sodium levels and I made it through without too much more trouble. The only nausea I've felt now is from a higher than normal (for me) carb intake, especially one with gluten.