Upcoming WLS

Options
lmryoung
lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
I thought it would be great to start a thread for people whose surgery date is approaching with advice from our post-op friends. What do you wish you had taken to the hospital with you? What should we plan on while in the hospital? What do wish someone would have told you about the surgery day and the few days after? (For full disclosure, this is sort of selfish since my surgery is next week but I figured this could help others too!)

Replies

• CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    To put the answers I put here in context, I feel it is important to note that I had the RNY procedure and stayed 2 nights in the hospital. My surgery was on March 9th, so I am still pretty fresh out of surgery and at this point still in the pureed food stage.

What do you wish you had taken to the hospital with you?
    Actually I found that I really needed very little while in the hospital. I didn't even change into my nightgown I'd brought from home until just before I left the hospital. I slept a lot. And when I wasn't sleeping, they were doing blood work, changing IV, or I was trying to get up to go walking in the hallway.

What should we plan on while in the hospital?
    I think this could depend on a few things such as the procedure you're getting. The hospital you stay in. The doctor who will dictate the stages. For me, I had a good time in the hospital while I was checking in and getting prepped. The nurse was hysterical and that helped with any jitters that I may have had. I think my mother was more nervous than I was...bless her. They gave me a morphine pump with my IV for the pain. They woke me up frequently to do my vitals, blood work, make me us my spirometer. This is VERY important. Make sure you do your breathing exercises with the spirometer! And when you get home keep doing it! I wasn't able to have anything to drink until the next day which was hard. But they gave me swabs for my mouth. My night nurse also allowed me to swish my mouth and spit. The next morning I had an upper GI to make sure there were no leaks in my new pouch. Then I was allowed ice chips, which were the most awesome ice chips I'd ever had. About 4 hours later I was allowed a popsicle. I was only able to take 2 bites of it. I was released the next morning. My doctor gave me a prescription for some Tylenol with codeine to have/use at home. I did so as it was needed for a few days. Once home make sure you continue to walk and take sips of liquids throughout the day.

What do wish someone would have told you about the surgery day and the few days after?
    I joined 2 support groups and did a ton of research prior so I feel I went into it with eyes wipe open. I asked a lot of questions from a LOT of different people. One of the support groups I am in is run by a bariatric nurse who has also had RNY. I was able to pretty much get some one on one with him and he was able to put all my fears to rest. So I guess my advice to anyone who reads this is to join the support group(s) before so you can get some insight beforehand.
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks CEK0220!! What great advice :)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    There was nothing I needed in the hospital that they didn't provide.
    My hospital experience: my surgery was early in the morning. One thing that I did that I think was helpful is I told the anesthesiologist that I have had a bad time with nausea after surgery and asked for extra medication for that. They gave me some type of patch med. Post surgery I had no nausea and only a little bit the 2nd day. I think that really helped. After having the test to make sure there were no leaks in my sleeve, they wanted me to start sipping water. They gave me room-temp tap water, which really did not do it for me. I wish I had asked for ice water because I would have been more successful sipping that. So, if you don't like the temp of the water they give you, ask for it different. About 2:00AM on the 2nd night I asked for a popsicle, which was great because I was thirsty but not liking the tap water. That was a great thing to ask for and really helped me get through. 3rd day I went home. I never needed the pain med or the nausea med they sent with me. Getting up and walking right away, even in the hospital, will get the gas moving and out of you. Do that.
    Best wishes for your surgery.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing I took out of my bag at the hospital was my Kindle and Blistex.

My hospital stay was spent sleeping, having vitals taken and wandering the halls dragging an IV stand.

My recovery was pretty smooth, but I wish I knew exactly how uncomfortable the gas pain would actually be. That was no joke.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What do you wish you had taken to the hospital with you?
    I was happy to have my cell phone and iPad - that's all I needed.

What should we plan on while in the hospital?
    You should plan on walking whenever possible, and being woken up by the nursing team whenever you fall asleep. Lol. Plan to be sore. Plan to have help...um...wiping. I mean, I needed it. Not sure about everyone else. I was sooooo grateful for my husband - he was a saint. I was not able to bend, thus reach, for a couple weeks after surgery. It really, really sucked. One of my incisions was all kinds of messed up in that it was deeply indented (from sutures, I assume) and was painful for 3 1/2 weeks...making walking, breathing and moving nearly impossible.

What do wish someone would have told you about the surgery day and the few days after?
    Hmmm...not much more I needed to know. I researched a lot! I think I was pretty much prepared...and overall it went well...but in general the biggest thing to understand is that it all takes time - healing, getting used to your new pouch, changing your thoughts and actions...it's a process, that despite preparing for as much as possible ahead of time, takes a while to get used to.

• gaining_while_losing
    Options
    Oh yeah - use your pain pump!! Don't be a hero - enjoy that bad-boy while you can because the nasty liquid Tylenol with codeine you get when you go home is not only yucky, but not very effective (as compared to the good stuff you get at the hospital)! :-)
  • gaining_while_losing
    Options
    Oh - one more thing - be prepared for the horrible gas pain. The first two weeks in particular are rough. I think it's a combination of surgery gas and gas from protein shakes. Regardless it is painful. Mine was so bad one morning that it woke me up and I thought I had a blood clot in my lung. I was so scared! Turned out to be really bad gas. Just gotta walk that stuff out of ya! :-)
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! The gas pain! It seems EVERYONE experiences it.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Similar to the others. I didn't use any of the "stuff" I took - books, iPhone, etc. The meds kept me pretty mellow when I wasn't walking, or using the spirometer, or visiting with someone. My only surprise was that I didn't know (or wasn't paying attention during that part of the pre-op education) that they pump air into your abdomen during laproscopic surgery to give the surgeon more maneuvering room with his or her instruments, and that gas dissolves into your blood stream and takes some hours to a few days to fully dissipate. So when I came out of surgery my shoulders where in pain which I thought was muscle pain from perhaps tensing up during the surgery...when really it was just that the gas was rising up and collecting in my shoulder area. It was alarming at first, but not a big deal once it was explained to me, and it resolved itself in less than a day. The other experience I had when they brought me out of anesthetic sleep after surgery, I was a little disoriented and I felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen for some reason reason - I could inhale but "felt" like I wasn't getting any oxygen in my system, even though the oxygen meter indicated I was getting plenty of oxygen. I started to get anxious, but one of the technicians simply put my CPAP machine on and it settled me down. Once my head cleared and I calmed down I was fine.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone in that you really don't need to bring much, because they give you everything. I was so glad I brought my phone with ear buds, though. Hospitals can be so loud! Even at night. Listening to music really helped me relax and sleep. I was extremely lucky in that I had my surgery in the morning on 2/19/15 and was home by 3pm the next day. They did my leakage test while I was still under after surgery.

My gas pains were uncomfortable, but not too severe. I got up within 20-30 minutes of being brought to my room after surgery and started walking, at least to the bathroom at first. As soon as the gas pains started to rear up, I'd get up and walk and that helped immensely. I didn't have a pain pump, so if you don't, make sure you don't wait too long to call the nurse for your meds. There was one time when they took too long in coming with them and my pain got sort of bad. I also mentioned the potential nausea to the anesthesiologist and they put an anti-nausea drug in my IV. I only got nauseous a couple of times and it was mild: once from the pain meds and once from drinking tea too fast.

And, yes, the ice chips are the BOMB! They are so refreshing and they keep you from taking in too much liquid too fast. You will be tempted because you can't drink after midnight the night before and you will be sooooo thirsty. Those first ice chips after surgery were HEAVEN.

Good luck with everything and let us know how you do! Feel free to friend me!
  • newdaynewdawnnewme1
    newdaynewdawnnewme1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel so Blessed to have found this group and this thread! I am at the end of my 1st week of liquid diet in the process of getting approved for surgery. I go on April 17th for my next screening, bloodwork, weight and paperwork and psych eval. I am lucky that I have been accepted in a research program that is running with support from my state office of Group Benifits because non of the LSU provided insurance covers WLS. I have been in this lottery for over a year and was amazed to finally have had my name drawn by the computer! This research covers ALL the cost leading up to and for 5 years after the surgery if approved. After the 17th if I've lost at least 4 lbs on this liquid diet then my paperwork goes before the board of 5 doctors that will make the final decision IF and WHAT surgery I will have. Sad thing is I don't get to choose. BUT if I am at all uncomfortable with their final decision after meeting with the surgeon I can always back out at no penalty or cost to me! I have been trying to do alot of research on all three surgeries being performed so I may make an informed decision!..Thank you all for leting me be a part of your journys as I hope you will be a part of mine!...Thank you All! <3
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My surgery was just last week. I didn't really need anything else except chap-stick. My lips were so chapped it was ridiculous. I had my phone and TV but I was pretty tired that I didn't need much else. Cause you know its never sleep long in the hospital.

The plan for the hospital is just take it easy. Your body is going through a major deal. I had problems with my IV that they ended up switching hands. I also had some nausea and some pain but staff at the hospital was amazing. And don't forget to get up and walk. As much as it may hurt just take your time,

I had looked into the surgery for a while before making the decision. So I felt pretty prepared!
    Best of luck to you
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My husband brought more things to keep him entertained & comfy (youd thought we were moving in just for it being overnight) during my WLS than I did :wink:
    I packed a pair of comfy PJ's (robe & slippers if you wish) and my husband always carries chapstick w/ him!
    I did Not experience any shoulder or gas pain like others have mentioned but I was extremely nauseous and because I didn't initially have anything to vomit it was a lot of dry heaving, then later everything/anything that went in....it was awful!
    Similar to cabennett, when I 1st came out of it, I still had the breathing tubes down my throat.
    That scared me and I recall becoming anxious real quick and getting this gag feeling which happens anytime anything "foreign" is put in my mouth such as Dr's sticks :confounded:
    Although I got real thirsty in the middle of the night, I wasnt allowed anything till the next day after my leakage test was done.
    That consisted of taking 3 XRays and each time having to take several sips of this greasy, fowl smelling liquid...it was so disgusting it wasn't long before it was coming back up which made it even worse!
    So glad ALL of that is behind me :neutral:
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Lots of good info here.

Make sure to bring some loose fitting shorts to wear so when you're getting your walking in your rear isn't exposed (like mine was!) as you walk around the recovery area. Apparently all the nurses on duty at 3am didn't like looking at my butt!