Low Carb Math

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
How low is too low? A little back of the envelope math may help.

The brain normally runs on about 120g/day glucose. Source

In ketosis, some sources say the optimal balance between ketones and glucose in the blood is 50/50, but let's go with Wikipedia, that says your brain can run on 70% ketones.

So, 30% glucose = 40g/day carb.

40g should be close to optimal for maintaining ketosis. If you consume less than 40g per day, your body has to make glucose from proteins (perhaps from fat too, but that's less efficient).

So, the normal calculation for "adequate" protein goes out the window if you eat less than 40g carb per day. You'll need more protein.

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The brain may normally run on 120g glucose per day, but what portion of that do ketone cover when you're in ketosis?

Eta: brain dead, already answered. D'oh!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    So, the normal calculation for "adequate" protein goes out the window if you eat less than 40g carb per day. You'll need more protein.

Phinney & Volek mention that gluconeogenesis can use "metabolic leftovers". Also once you're keto-adapted, FFAs are used in many processes. Point is, moderate protein is ok. (I suppose it depends on one's definition of "moderate")

• wabmester
    Options
    Not sure what a metabolic leftover is, but I imagine they're referring to the glycerol used to hold together triglycerides.

The basic point here is that lower ain't necessarily better. The studies I've seen that show a higher level of cortisol on LCHF suggest to me that there's higher catabolic activity. Seems reasonable to minimize that if you can.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I read that as "low carb meth" for some reason. LOL!
  • wabmester
    Options
    No, this is not a recipe thread. :)
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    No, this is not a recipe thread. :)

lmao
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I read that as "low carb meth" for some reason. LOL!

I literally cackled out loud at this. My dogs are now concerned about my sanity.

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to finally finishing Breaking Bad, all 6 seasons. I know, I'm behind the curve.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Ahead of me. I've never seen any of them!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    How low is too low? A little back of the envelope math may help.

The brain normally runs on about 120g/day glucose. Source

In ketosis, some sources say the optimal balance between ketones and glucose in the blood is 50/50, but let's go with Wikipedia, that says your brain can run on 70% ketones.

So, 30% glucose = 40g/day carb.

40g should be close to optimal for maintaining ketosis. If you consume less than 40g per day, your body has to make glucose from proteins (perhaps from fat too, but that's less efficient).

So does this explain why I'm keeping FA within thumbrule of >100 g carb a day, as long as I burn off and reduce liver and muscle glycogen with intense cardio on a regular basis?
    I also do IF, which should boost ketones production too.

Edit: Or is it that the reversal of mitochondria energy burning on ketones is NOT an overnight situation and I never stay out of NK long enough for that to happen ?

• yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What happens to people with large or small brains? Faster or slower thinking, movement, breathing? All of those things require brain function, (synaptic transmission). :* That may account for quite a variation in glucose requirements.
  • wabmester
    Options
    There is significant variation in brain glucose requirements. Not just brain size, but age, gender, and even how long you sleep. But to justify going as low as 20g/d carbs (which a lot of people seem to do), you'd need a half-size brain. :)

@foamroller, during ketoadaptation, the mitochondia apparently change. There's both an increase in number, and an increase in enzymes to support FA oxidation. I assume the old pathways are still supported, but not sure how quickly we can adapt.

Cool article with some evidence from mice models:
    http://caloriesproper.com/ketoadaptation/