Anybody Else Pissed About BattleFrog???

Options
Taken back by the change of eliminating the 15k and 5k and making it an 8k. Then eliminating the Sunday event as well. Have spoken with them and they assured me they are alive and well but this scares me. Now I have no way of measuring my improvement over last year. Boo!

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I am one of the managers at BattleFrog. Believe me, we all understand the frustration people are having. Eliminating Sundays had to happen. Think of it like this: A restaurant opens to rave reviews, but is only open on Saturday night. It's not packed on that night, but a steady stream of customers, and everyone loves their meals. Management decides to open Sunday as well, hoping the additional day will grow the Saturday clientele, and also bring in new business. Instead, Sunday only sees a handful of people coming through the door. Which makes more sense, close on Sundays (and upset a few), or sacrifice the quality of food, the cleanliness of the restaurant, the quality of service on both days, angering everyone, and putting an end to everything that was great about the restaurant to begin with? If people want to eat at the restaurant on Sundays, make sure to patronize it on Sundays.

The distances were changed based on customer feedback. Based on the registrations coming in, post-race surveys, etc., people were looking for a very obstacle-heavy race, between 5-10k. We still have the multiple loop options, we still have BFX. But really, you can't measure your improvement over last year in any case, as the courses will always be different. My time on the Boston Spartan Super went up nearly 30 minutes from 2013 to 2014. But the course had almost two more miles added to the distance. My pace decreased, so that's all I really cared about.

I promise you'll still have an awesome experience at BattleFrog, no matter the venue you choose.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I've been having a problem with my hip while running and decided not to take on BF this year (because I refuse to go down to the 5k distance when my previous ocrs were longer and it seems silly for me to drive a couple hours to get to a 5k, even an OCR 5k, when my area is lousy with them) but this changes everything!

My favorite part of ocrs is the Os and not so much the mud and the Rs. Oh boy, oh boy! :)

Of course I can see how some participants might be disappointed but I'm excited!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed in the length decrease. However, I have a Savage Race the following weekend so I figured it was best to get the 30% off the gear. I've heard great stuff and am excited to try it out. I'm hoping they stay alive and kicking and grow sustain-ably. More types of races = more local opportunities. Plus they all have different feels, obstacles, etc.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Check out the reviews of the Houston race from this past weekend. People were blown away!
  • mochapygmy
    Options
    Where are you seeing these reviews? I would love to read some but I didn't see any on the battlefrog site nor mud run guide.
  • ritualsilence83
    ritualsilence83 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I've ran the warrior dash once and thought it too easy so gave it up. Doing the spartan sprint for the 6th time this year, rugged maniac for the first. I've been interested in the battlefrog but wanted to know how it compared. I love a challenge.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    Where are you seeing these reviews? I would love to read some but I didn't see any on the battlefrog site nor mud run guide.

I follow a lot of OCR elite athletes on social media. Also look up ORM (obstacle racing media).
    Hey all. I've ran the warrior dash once and thought it too easy so gave it up. Doing the spartan sprint for the 6th time this year, rugged maniac for the first. I've been interested in the battlefrog but wanted to know how it compared. I love a challenge.

From what I hear, you certainly won't be disappointed. Also, step up and do a Spartan Super or Beast ;)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    SHOOT... How did I miss that it changed to an 8k? Crud. Bye... I gotta go for a run.
  • mochapygmy
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    mochapygmy wrote: »

I follow a lot of OCR elite athletes on social media. Also look up ORM (obstacle racing media).
    Thanks. I'll check them out!