Do you look at the WOD before your workout?

Options
Keladelphia
Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
Last week my box instituted a "blackout week" where they didnt post the WOD and requested that we keep it a secret from other members even after completing it (they programmed the most difficult WODS all week of course). It was certaily a nice change of pace for me since i'm someone who compulsively checks for the workout the night before (though it never influences my decision on rest days, I take the same one or two every week). It sparked my curiousity as to how many people check beforehand and how many people just show up without knowing. The article below gave some good pros and cons of both but I was curious of others personal experiences.

http://boxlifemagazine.com/community/pros-cons-should-you-look-at-the-days-wod-before-you-go-to-the-box

Replies

• wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I always check - ours are posted the evening before and I work out in the morning. I'd like to say that seeing it ahead of time *never* causes me to decide on a rest day, but, it has happened in the past. :smile:
  • Keladelphia
    Options
    Okay Okay, I guess if I had seen last Friday was Kalsu I may have skipped...the one exception to my never statement ;)
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    We don't post ours. I'm a coach and have access to them and 9 times out of 10 I don't check.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Ours doesn't post it until the morning of (technically it gets posted at midnight, I have discovered), and I decide whether I'm going in advance but always do check. It's caused me to go when I was leaning against it and (I'm ashamed to say) on occasion to decide to do something else (mainly when it was all rowing, which is a weird thing they do on rare occasion).
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    None of the CrossFit gyms in this area post their WODs beforehand. Whiteboard goes up after the last WOD of the day.
  • Keladelphia
    Options
    For those of you who's box doesnt post; is the main rational for not posting the WOD so people dont pick and choose? Though the main reason I check is to get a rep scheme in mind, one reason I like it (as dumb as it may be) is so I know how to dress without having to pack a ton of crap in my bag ex. high socks for rope climbs, only bringing lifters on Oly days, making sure I have a tight shirt for HSPU's etc.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Ours doesn't post either, we see it on the board when we walk in. If they were to post beforehand the reality is that I would consider not going it I didn't like it. I do agree that it would be handy to know beforehand so I could dress appropriately - instead I just carry all my crap with me and dress for the worst (running bra for running, tight shirt for HSPU's etc)
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I like knowing so I can work on mobility before I go to the box and I can bring the right equipment/clothes.
  • bethlivi
    bethlivi Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Our gym posts in the morning when the coaches get in--though sometimes when I'm hanging with them on the weekend I can tempt it out of them. haha! I always check. It is, quite literally, the first thing I do when I wake up. I don't skip anymore based on what I see, but I used to skip running days. :-)
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    For those of you who's box doesnt post; is the main rational for not posting the WOD so people dont pick and choose? Though the main reason I check is to get a rep scheme in mind, one reason I like it (as dumb as it may be) is so I know how to dress without having to pack a ton of crap in my bag ex. high socks for rope climbs, only bringing lifters on Oly days, making sure I have a tight shirt for HSPU's etc.

Yes that's the main reason.

In terms of equipment, I have Oly shoes, running shoes, wrist wraps, jump rope and various other miscellaneous CrossFit crap with me all the time in the back of my car so it's not a problem.

The most annoying thing is if I've planned meals with training day macros and it turns out to be a low intensity gymnastics day I have to drop some carbs from my plan somehow, but that has only happened once so far.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes, too many cherry pickers, though I agree I think there are more benefits of knowing before hand rather than cons
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah I look! Lots of times since we are the last WOD of the day, he writes the next days WOD while we are still there packing up to leave.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    We post ours but I do not Cherry pick. I have an idea based on my week when I'm going to be there. This week was Monday, Wed, Friday, Saturday. No matter what the workout, I go on those days.

I am going to start adding in some lifting days, so knowing the WOD can help avoid problems in that regard. The coaches will also give me a "yay" or "nay" if I tell them my lifting plans if it will interfere with the WOD.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My box posts the WODs the night before at 8pm and also shoots out an email with the WOD to all members. I like knowing the WOD so I know what gear to bring with me (I workout immediately after work). Sometimes I don't want to lug my lifters and other gear around if I know I won't need them.

Every now and then my box will post a "Secret WOD" but it's few and far between.

Since I started Xfit, I told myself I would never cherry-pick workouts. I plan my rest days in advance so I don't feel guilty for missing a certain WOD.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Our box posts the day's WOD in the morning. My weekly schedule dictates the days I do CrossFt, so regardless of what get's posted, I'm showing-up !!!

**Exceptions: When I was (or am) injured, I will do something else to keep my body moving (swim, row, etc.). Also, there have been WODs posted that I have really wanted to participate in on my "off-days", so and I've changed my plans to do them
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I wish mine posted the week's schedule not because I'd cherrypick (although I understand), but because I'd arrange other workouts better. I'd like to go 3x/week and would like it to be on consistent days, but have had a few times lately where I ended up not going because, say, I'd done deadlifts the day before and they were doing deadlifts or some such. I did a WOD involving high volume power cleans the day before the C&J max out in my Oly class just because that week I hadn't been and really wanted to, and if my C&J max was actually heavy (other than just heavy for me), that probably would have been dumb or interfered with the max out.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ours are posted and I always check. Aren't you curious? I am. Don't put temptation in front of me.
  • princessxmeow
    princessxmeow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My box posts the weekly programming every Sunday night. I honestly get excited about being able to look and see what the week has in store. Also it really does help to be able to choose clothing according to the workout. Longer shirts on squat days are a must for me! I also really like the specific excuse of "I have to do thrusters and burpee box jumps in the morning so I can't go out tonight". People tend to not have a response other than calling me crazy! Haha.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My box never ever posts the workout and our coach punishes anyone who shares a workout like 50 burpees. I am glad he doesn't post it because I would probably cherry pick a bit. I just turn up and if I hate it I have to suck it up. Haha.
  • Inkratlet
    Options
    I think I'm pretty much guaranteed to always hate it :D but I do it anyway which is a universal CrossFit thing it seems!