Metformin

Options
_Moxie_
_Moxie_ Posts: 6 Member
I'm brand new to PCOS, brand new to this group, and brand new to posting on MFP, period.

I've struggled with PCOS for years, but had no idea. I just got (finally) diagnosed; doctors had been telling me year after year that nothing was wrong with me. I had the irregular periods, oily skin, obesity, facial hair, dandruff, acne, depression, etc.

Anyways - I've wanted to have a baby for years; my husband and I are newlyweds, but had been trying for over a year before we got married. My periods were so irregular that I honestly believed that I'd never conceive naturally.

My doctor said that we could try Metformin; she said that it wasn't the first line of defense anymore, because it wasn't effective for everyone, but that I could try.

I didn't have much hope, at all.

On day 5 of taking Metformin, I started my period.

I know this might be TMI, but I've pretty much been crying happy tears all day. I just had to share with someone! This doesn't mean I'll definitely be able to have a baby, but it sure gives me a lot of hope for the future!

Replies

• bellalavita717
    bellalavita717 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :D
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I recently started metformin too and it started my period after just 2 doses... I understand that feeling of relief, for sure. Best wishes for getting pregnant! I am done having babies myself, but know that going on a lower carb diet helps with the insulin resistance and ovulation, and also diminishes some of the intestinal side effects from the metformin...
  • _Moxie_
    _Moxie_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, Metformin has some unattractive side effects, but they'll be worth it to me if all works out. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Vitex is another supplement that helps with restoring balance of fertility, and Inositol can help with egg quality and such (reducing miscarriage chances slightly by logical deduction and increasing pregnancy chances by dropping more viable eggs, etc.), but please read the very informative post that @Dragonwolf posted on this thread for a lot more info!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10122360/need-a-meal-plan-and-workout-plan-that-works-with-pcos#latest
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    _Moxie_ wrote: »
    Thank you! Yes, Metformin has some unattractive side effects, but they'll be worth it to me if all works out. :)

I read somewhere that there are 2 types of Metformin - the basic one and then Metformin Extended Release. The latter has FAR LESS side effects. It might be worth investigating?
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was recently switched to Met ER and its so much better for me. I don't have the hot lava side effects with this one. Plus, I only take it once a day.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options

I read somewhere that there are 2 types of Metformin - the basic one and then Metformin Extended Release. The latter has FAR LESS side effects. It might be worth investigating?

There are two types of met, the regular and the extended release, you may need to try both, my doc started me on the ER because it had fewer side effects..... Not for me, it was actually worse for me, I'm on regular met now, and I have fewer side effects taking it than I did with the ER (don't get me wrong, I still have the side effects if I eat certain foods, but it's far less frequent) and with the ER after taking it for a year, I began to pass it within an hour after taking it (in a "I gotta get to the bathroom NOW" side effect) so I wasn't even getting the medication out of it.
  • Journeywithyou
    Journeywithyou Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to PCOS, brand new to this group, and brand new to posting on MFP, period.

On day 5 of taking Metformin, I started my period.

I know this might be TMI, but I've pretty much been crying happy tears all day. I just had to share with someone! This doesn't mean I'll definitely be able to have a baby, but it sure gives me a lot of hope for the future!

I conceived my son when on Metformin. He is my 'surprise' child. My husband and I never thought we would have another child after all we went through for our daughter then surprise after a few months on Met I realized I was preg. Was not our intent, we not really trying.

Yes there is hope.
  • Journeywithyou
    Options
    Met with my physician today and she is putting me on Met. It has been years since I was first on the med and did not take it long at all as I conceived. I never suffered the ill side effects everyone is talking about.
    My question - What tips do I need to know when taking this med? I am already reducing the daily intake of carbs.
  • mhulgan
    mhulgan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Isn't it crazy how much your period can be a celebration? I know we wouldn't have been able to have our second child without the help of Metformin. Children really are little miracles - so much in our bodies have to work just right to make a baby. (Talking to myself - had a rough day as a mom, and it's a good reminder of what I went through to have them!)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Met with my physician today and she is putting me on Met. It has been years since I was first on the med and did not take it long at all as I conceived. I never suffered the ill side effects everyone is talking about.
    My question - What tips do I need to know when taking this med? I am already reducing the daily intake of carbs.

Avoid dairy either side of taking it by at least 2 hours - dairy seems to make the diarrhea thing worse. Aside from that, lowering carbs, and just finding the best times to take it, I didn't have much problems with it, but when I started adding dairy early (and I was taking med early), I elected to drop it. Appointment coming up with endo to check in. Hoping he doesn't want me back on it.
  • Journeywithyou
    Options
    Took my first dose today no issues - Happy Dance. Doc is starting me with one dose a day for 2 weeks then increasing to once in morning once in evening.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Took my first dose today no issues - Happy Dance. Doc is starting me with one dose a day for 2 weeks then increasing to once in morning once in evening.

Awesome! Just being aware of common triggers helps a ton! Wishing you continued success.
  • Tiffaspiff
    Tiffaspiff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started Metformin in Jan and after a month I started my period :smile: I had to get off of it for a month and just started it back up last week. My doc had me start with taking one pill a day for a week then move up to two pills to help lessen the side effects. So far so good!

What does is everyone taking?? I am on 500mg - 1 pill twice a day. He also started me on prenatal vitamins. I am 32 and I'm really hoping with all of this and change in diet we will get pregnant with our first one :smiley:

Re: low carbs - I'm down to 150 a day, may not seem like a lot but when I was normally eating 200-300 a day it's a big step for me. Those of you with success, what is your carb range?? I'm not ready to go down to 50 or lower just yet. Baby steps while I'm starting all these new adventures :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Tiffaspiff wrote: »
    I started Metformin in Jan and after a month I started my period :smile: I had to get off of it for a month and just started it back up last week. My doc had me start with taking one pill a day for a week then move up to two pills to help lessen the side effects. So far so good!

What does is everyone taking?? I am on 500mg - 1 pill twice a day. He also started me on prenatal vitamins. I am 32 and I'm really hoping with all of this and change in diet we will get pregnant with our first one :smiley:

Re: low carbs - I'm down to 150 a day, may not seem like a lot but when I was normally eating 200-300 a day it's a big step for me. Those of you with success, what is your carb range?? I'm not ready to go down to 50 or lower just yet. Baby steps while I'm starting all these new adventures :)

I recommend picking a good starting day each week (Sunday, Monday, or Friday, maybe). If you're at 150 now, then next week start at 140. Then the week after, bump to 130. Keep making 10 gram adjustments once a week until you hit your sweet spot, whatever that may be... Everyone's is different! Just remember to trend your fats up as you trend your carbs down, and the adjustments shouldn't be too hard. You might find out that 150 is great for you - or you might find bliss at 75....there is absolutely no way to know! :)

(NOTE: you can also do this in 5 gram steps, too, if losing 10 grams of carbs each new week seems intimidating!)

When my doc started me on it, I was doing 1-500 mg ER tablet. It took it at dinner exactly once. I weight 18 hours and shifted it to breakfast, since I had great energy boost from using it. My doc loved this and said he was going to suggest it to any of his other patients suffering food related sleepiness. I'm not in the market for childbearing, so I'm just making sure my bases are covered.

I've heard lots of good stories about restoring fertility on Metformin, Inositol, and/or Vitex - together or separate. Wishing you luck!

P.S. If you continue having gastro side effects to the meds as I did, you'll end up dropping your carbs far more than you anticipate originally... Also, avoid dairy 2 hours before and after each pill to help - as dairy triggers side effects for many folks, too.
  • Tiffaspiff
    Tiffaspiff Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I recommend picking a good starting day each week (Sunday, Monday, or Friday, maybe). If you're at 150 now, then next week start at 140. Then the week after, bump to 130. Keep making 10 gram adjustments once a week until you hit your sweet spot, whatever that may be... Everyone's is different! Just remember to trend your fats up as you trend your carbs down, and the adjustments shouldn't be too hard. You might find out that 150 is great for you - or you might find bliss at 75....there is absolutely no way to know! :)

(NOTE: you can also do this in 5 gram steps, too, if losing 10 grams of carbs each new week seems intimidating!)

When my doc started me on it, I was doing 1-500 mg ER tablet. It took it at dinner exactly once. I weight 18 hours and shifted it to breakfast, since I had great energy boost from using it. My doc loved this and said he was going to suggest it to any of his other patients suffering food related sleepiness. I'm not in the market for childbearing, so I'm just making sure my bases are covered.

I've heard lots of good stories about restoring fertility on Metformin, Inositol, and/or Vitex - together or separate. Wishing you luck!

P.S. If you continue having gastro side effects to the meds as I did, you'll end up dropping your carbs far more than you anticipate originally... Also, avoid dairy 2 hours before and after each pill to help - as dairy triggers side effects for many folks, too.

That is some great advice! I love the stepping it down each week!! Thank you :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Tiffaspiff wrote: »

I am on 500mg twice a day also. I am actually rx 1500mg a day but 1500mg the digestive issues just wont stop ever. But at 1000mg, as long as i dont over carbage it, i am ok. So I take inositol twice a day to help balance out only taking 1000mg of Met. I also take Vitex to help balance my hormones.

I am under 20g carbs a day. I started by lowering it to 100g a day and let it sit there for a few weeks. Then went to 50g net, then 50g total then 20g net now. But I took a few week break inbetween each drop but if you are doing it like @KnitOrMiss said that is fine too. You may not have to go as low as 20g a day but there are studies showing Keto is good for fertility for both the men and women.

(sorry @KnitOrMiss, it seems like anything recommended for PCOS increases your fertility!)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    (sorry @KnitOrMiss, it seems like anything recommended for PCOS increases your fertility!)

I know, that's hilarious to me, because I felt like coming into this group, I would be about the only one riding that train. Glad I'm not, but I've also been on the bus of trying to increase my fertility for a decade, so I have the unique perspective of seeing both angles...just not increasing fertility for ME! LOL
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My doc just adjusted my metformin yesterday. Feeling all sorts of rumbly today. Regretting the ice cream treat I had last night. Glad some/most of you can relate... :blush:
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    laols01 wrote: »
    My doc just adjusted my metformin yesterday. Feeling all sorts of rumbly today. Regretting the ice cream treat I had last night. Glad some/most of you can relate... :blush:

My doc adjusted my metformin today too. I've been eating keto-style (aiming for low carb ~50g/day, high fat, moderate protein ~100 g/day) since last Tuesday, and went from having the runs a few times a day to totally normal BMs and no more stomach rumbling. It really does work to cut out the carbs!