How Would You Characterize Your Old Eating Habits?

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how would you characterize your old eating habits?

Extremely pleasurable. :smile:
  • Quatroux
    Quatroux Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    I am "paleo-curious" and like the ideas and recipes I saw for the paleo diet.

LOL
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I would characterize my old eating habits as the end result of being led astray by the "health experts", conventional wisdom, my doctor, marketing and media.......and throw any other entity in there that dictates or places ideas into our heads about what we should be eating. Sprinkle in western society's obsession with instant gratification and getting to have it all....and you get a recipe for disaster.

The end result of it is that I have been overweight much of my life, despite growing up in a household where we did not eat junk food, we rarely ate out, and we ate home cooked meals from scratch, with lots of fruit, vegetables, protein and healthy grains. In my quest to be thin, I tried restricting calories while on a multitude of diets that did not last, nor did they produce lasting results. My eating was a mess, and I always felt deprived when dieting. Failure of the diet produced shame. I would say it was a sad experience. I was always hungry.

I would say my experience with primal LCHF now is a very happy one, and I have control of my eating unlike any other time in my life. It is so satisfying....and I am losing weight ! Yay for me !
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to also eat "healthy" with "good" carbs and fruit and veggies. However I love to bake and make candy and all that good stuff during the holidays....oh who am I kidding Friday could be a holiday for all I cared! Anyway now eating this way I still bake for my skinny hubby but have no urge to eat any of it. Thank you LCHF!!!
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    growing up - meat & potatoes, mostly whole foods, some fast food
    teens & 20s - vegetarian (some s.a.d. but relatively 'healthy': fruit, veg, whole grains, lotsa cheese & nut butters, soy based crap)
    early 30s - back to meat eating, more whole foods, still eating plenty of bread (though it was sprouted grain stuff & sourdough lol)
    mid 30s - mostly paleo but still not super low carb - plenty of fruit, root veg, sweet potato etc. (with big carby refined food/sugar slips here & there)
    now - primal/keto
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    rkufeke wrote: »
    I've always cooked from scratch, and generally "healthy" foods- whole grains, lots of veggies & fruits, good protein, lower fat (like the sub greek yogurt for mayo type tricks). <snip>

The hardest part for me has actually been to not have my husband and kids on the diet with me... <snip>

We're all here for ya! Through thick and thin, we'll support you!

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    rkufeke wrote: »
    The hardest part for me has actually been to not have my husband and kids on the diet with me... I do make a lot of LCHF dinners and they eat them too, but usually I will give them something else on the side...

I'm in this situation too. I've had to focus on the benefits and keep remembering that is me, my health and my body on the line.

I also cook extra and they add it to their meals, it's much easier than cooking two different meals. Another thing I do is cook a large patch of low carb and if they want to have a carb meal then I have something already prepared than I can easily heat up for myself.

You are important. Just as important as your kids and your husband. Do it for you. <3

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Changed throughout my life. I always liked healthy foods but also junk. Late teens, early 20's was a fast food and restaurant junkie! Then I went on Atkins and saw the light! But cheated a lot. Then I fell for the "Eat Clean" diet and wound up being diagnosed with Celiac. So after that it has been pretty much Paleo/Primal, and at varying carb levels.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Carb addict for 40 years but was totally unaware of the fact.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Living the American Nightmare Diet. I grew up in a house where we had something frozen, delivered or from a drive thru every night. Every once in a while (a few times per year) my mom would get the urge to cook for a few weeks. Hot dogs and mac n cheese, casseroles with cream soup in them, pasta with garlic bread but no salad. Once in a while things like pork chops or a roast, and any veggies on the side would be drowning in butter and cheese. I drank HiC or KoolAid until I was 10 or so, and then was allowed to drink Coke all day like my parents. Never wanted water, they never suggested it. The only fish I'd had either had Charlie on the label or said "filet o" on the box.

I had no idea what plain, normal food was supposed to taste like until years after I'd moved out on my own. To my mind, if it didn't taste like sugar and salt, it tasted wrong.

This sort of.

I was going to call my early years the "White Trash Diet." Pretty much any sort of white trash type of reality television where they eat junk, takeout, anything out of a box, and sweets and well, white trash foods, this was my early life.

Then I was on my own for a bit, but worked fast food and worked all the time with weird schedules, so that was more less a few years of the "Wendy's diet."

Then I got married to a man who wouldn't eat anything that you could tell it had ever been part of an animal (no bones, all processed stuff) or if it didn't come out of a box (he was a hamburger helper fanatic). This ended up landing me well over 150 pounds gain - OMG actually 200 pounds gained during the course of our almost 17 year marriage.

Different times I tried getting healthier, but with programs or fads which of course never worked. My doctors telling me to lower my carbs and such did NOT seem possible, as I was utterly bingeworthy addicted at that point.

Then my daughter started learning about nutrition in school while my ex and I separated. We began exploration of the SAD/DASH type healthier options. It worked for me for a while to drop a decent chunk of weight, and for her to gain some health and endurance.

Then, I took some mental time off, ate whatever I wanted, usually making healthier choices, but still BINGING like a crazy person. Never understanding why I did it, hating myself for doing it, despising myself for having no willpower/gumption, etc.

Finally, I found my way here after listening to my PCP nag me for years and my endocrinologist mention it a couple of times. After formally having PCOS tossed into the bucket along with confirmed hypothyroidism and a few other things, I started to look into this way of eating seriously. Luckily I'd already made friends with awesome folks like @Alliwan and @Dragonwolf. After the research started (mostly into treating my PCOS firstly), I fell into the reality that what my doctors had been telling me might actually work if I could handle the cravings. Which I utterly didn't believe was possible, so I was utterly shocked when by DAY 2 of INDUCTION, they were toast!!!! Been here ever since. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The Cyclical Poor Man's Diet (and before that, just The Poor Man's Diet).

We grew up working poor -- that fun no-man's land between getting government aid and actually being able to make ends meet. As a result, I lived on basic foods -- tuna melts, Ramen, spaghetti with meat sauce were common staples, as was macaroni & cheese and venison. For what we could afford, we ate pretty healthfully, according to conventional standards. We rarely had much of the real junky stuff, though those Hug "juice" things made a regular appearance in my lunch box, as did a Little Debbie of one form or another. The bulk of my carbs came from grains and starches, though (pasta, wheat bread, corn, potatoes, etc). Salads made an occasional appearance, especially in the summer. Most of our veggies usually came out of a can.

Once I moved out, my financial situation slowly improved, so I went from living on peanut butter sandwiches, Ramen, macaroni & cheese, and tuna melts, to what could be described as "Cyclical Poor Man's Diet." The amount of extra money we had would cycle up and down. When it was down, we would eat more home made stuff, which included a fair amount of macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, and other pasta+cheese+tomato sauce dishes, with the occasional steak. When it was up, pizza was a regular member of our house. At that time, "getting healthy"/"losing weight" was switching from cow's milk to soy milk and attempting to not eat half of an extra large pizza (and attempting to not order pizza so often). The start of getting mired in CICO for a few years. This latter part, the attempts to get healthy, could probably be described as the "Mrs. Korg Meets Arnold Schwarzenegger Diet," as it wasn't far off from how Mark Sisson describes the modern wife (Mrs. Korg) in The Primal Blueprint, except I was a protein shake drinker more than a smoothie drinker, and I preferred things like martial arts and weight lifting to spin classes.

When that didn't work, and I found myself constantly hungry (tried the 6-meals-a-day thing, too; that went over like a lead balloon), I switched to Primal in a last ditch effort to see some kind of progress and not be battling with myself all the time. Dropped my carbs to 100g, dropped grains out of my diet, and the rest is pretty much history. I've since lowered my carbs even further, looking for my sweet spot, but that's about it.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I've been raw vegan (2 years) and fruitarian (3 months), but through it all, and for the other 56 years I've been a complete food addict, particularly anything sugary. Well, anything that I found comfort in actually.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for two years now and my diet has been anything/everything I like, but in smaller portions (along with 16/8IF). I haven't kept a food journal since I made the transition and have been able to keep within my maintenance range (120lbs-125lbs) pretty effortlessly. However, over the past couple of months I've started seeing a creep and yesterday I was at my highest weight in two years, at 127lbs. That doesn't seem like a lot-but looking at my stats (I weigh daily and keep track in a phone app), I've gained 4 actual pounds in a pretty short period of time. I'm back into weight loss phase to lose the bounce, and I'm also exploring lc/going grain free to see if it helps with some annoying health issues I'm having.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I would describe my previous diet as utterly delicious. Gasp. I've gone up and down a couple of times since high school. The gain always started with me feeding whatever emotion I wanted to avoid. 6 years ago I was down to 120 pounds after a 20 pound loss that I did nothing to lose. I had just started dating my boyfriend and started grad school that fall. I have never felt more unloved in my entire life than those first couple of years of us together. We were horrible together. I have no clue why we both insisted on pushing through but we did. We're still together and couldn't be happier. Clearly I'm nothing if not persistent. After I finished grad school I got a job working in health insurance and hated every minute of it. Eventually, as a way of further avoiding my feelings I started on anti-depressants.

My "normal" way of eating was eating out multiple times a week, eating half a cake for breakfast if that's what I desired, eating in bed, eating when driving, etc. Basically eating at all times. If I made cookies, I would eat at least 6 cookies in one sitting. Never really noticing that no one else was eating like that. To be honest, I'm impressed that I'm not heavier. With that being said, I've tried a lot of diets and nothing worked. I was convinced that I had a thyroid issue or PCOS (particularly considering the amount of ovarian cysts I get) but I couldn't find a doctor willing to treat symptoms. They all wanted blood proof. I would quit nearly every diet I tried after about 3-4 weeks because I would simply gain weight instead of lose. There's nothing more miserable than spending every day hangry and then getting on the scale and gaining 4-5 pounds.

Eventually I realized that when people told me for all of those years that I may want to consider cutting carbs, they weren't lying. I started keto last spring, lost about 15 pounds and then went back to my normal way of eating. I went in and out of keto at least once a month but didn't stick with it. I saw a picture of myself from last summer when I was in keto and I looked so healthy and happy. I decided I was without a doubt going to do keto in January. I feel great now. I still occasionally crave sweets but those cravings aren't nearly as powerful.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    As a teen, early 20-something, riddled with eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia, laxative abuse, exercise abuse, etc.).

Gained 70 lbs during pregnancy (age 23), and promptly lost 55 of that in 9 months after giving birth.

As a 20 something - 30 something, ate pretty well, but lots of starches, and stayed fairly active and at a reasonably healthy weight (slightly overweight).

As a mid-30 something onward, health problems derailed me into depression and cyclical binging looking for comfort. My weight was pretty high during most of this time, and tipped over into obese in 2011. My binge of choice was sweets (particularly ice cream and golden oreos) and bread, bread, and more bread. I also naturally eat too much. I have a very large appetite and seemingly no "full signal".

Now, I eat LCHF to lose weight (I'm pretty much at goal), and I will continue to use this as maintenance, by slowly increasing cals and carbs until I hit a place where I start gaining again. I will keep a range of 140-145 lbs, I think. I would like to lower my BF% just a tad, though, so if I end up weighing more as a result, I won't let it bother me.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My old eating habits: Suicidal. Eating fast food 7-10 times a week, drinking more soda than water for at least a full decade, going through periods where 90% of what I drank was regular, sugary sodas. Trying to make tons of changes that wouldn't work, at my worst points telling myself "you won't live past 50 this way, maybe not even 40, but hell, fixing it is too hard, may as well just enjoy yourself and not worry about it."

I'm glad I figured it out eventually :)
  • mebeep
    mebeep Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have never been in denial about loving sweets and junk food. I could care less about eating a meal or real food as long as I had some snacks to eat. Muffins, donuts, chips, crackers and cheese, whatever falls into the junk food category. Some people think about going low carb and say they wouldn't be able to handle it b/c they would miss the bread and pasta. My answer would be what about the cake and ice cream forget the bread. lol. If you would have asked me before did I get fat from overeating, my answer would have easily been no. I felt like I grazed/snacked all day and maybe had 1 meal. How could one get fat from that? It wasn't until I tried CICO and logged my food did I realize how little serving you get for the calories. It's very easy to overeat on junk food, b/c unless you eat A LOT you never really feel full or stuffed like you would from eating a meal. Hints the reason low carb is best for me. To avoid the sweets all together.

This would definitely be my story. I'm a jeckle and Hyde kind of person. Either I'm militant bout healthy eating, or making frosting just to " taste" it, better I just put that sugar monster to death and go very low carb.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm a great cook, and not a sweet tooth, but I spent years eating too much and too many carbs. I love vegetables, but I would make cheese and spinach pastries, potato bake, all manner of unhealthy things. Home made bread rolls with butter. Pasta OMG, so many kinds. Home made lasagne, ravioli etc. Everything with butter, and cheese. Also the usual pizza, McDonalds thing when I didn't feel like cooking. I know there's something fundamentally wrong with me. I can NOT eat like a normal person. I do NOT know when to stop. Being hungry feels like a kind of anxiety to me, and being overfull makes it go away. I know that carbs are a big problem. I can go for months in Keto, in control of my food and my appetite, no problem at all. But one slice of bread, one piece of cheesecake at Xmas, and I can't stop eating for 3 months.

I'm doing okay at the moment. I'm on a very tight budget, so I did all of my shopping online. Ground beef, bacon, chicken, eggs, butter, cheese etc. Enough for 2 weeks until I get paid again. I can't deviate from my eating plan as there simply ISN'T anything else.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I grew up lower middle class. My dad was the first person in my family with a sit down job (after a fashion). My parents were children of the depression. Dad was a WWII vet.

I was raised in the 60s and 70s on: convenience foods. Plain and simple.
    My mother hated being a SaHM. (but didn't want to work, either)

breakfast: cap'n crunch or instant breakfast
    lunch: school lunch, or a wonder bread bologna/"cheese" sandwich with a twinkie and a coke
    dinner: something frozen (chicken and dumplings, meatloaf) or canned (green beans, creamed corn, chicken a la king) or both
    snacks: cans of coke were readily available as were hostess products

Actual PRODUCE? That was something grandma or an aunt fed us when we saw them. There were NO fresh vegetables in the house. EVER, save the occasional red "delicious" apple that no one ate, giving mom the chance to say "why would I buy it, no one eats it".

I distinctly remember an aunt teaching me what green beans were when I was in elementary school.
    They seemed exotic.

Things like yogurt were not allowed (bacteria!).
    orange juice was a "waste of money"

Mashed potatoes? boxed
    vegetables? canned
    entrees? frozen

fast food? whenever we could afford it.

My mother believed everything the media "fed" her about food.

college: eating as close to that as possible, given my lack of cooking skills, with "food" introduced/cooked by others on and off. Horizons broadened!
    Grad school: my food introduced by others, more restaurant eating, but still convenience foods were the staple when left to my own devices. Horizons further broadened!

This continued until Jan 2001. I decided to learn how to eat actual food, which meant I had to learn how to cook some foods. EVERYTHING changed. Then, a couple of years later I met hubs, who's a phenomenal cook.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I was a carboholic previously. Especially bread. I could happily eat 20+ slices per day and think nothing of it. Oh and mashed potatoes...I could out do my partner on those.