3 months and 40lbs

Options
hoecradle
hoecradle Posts: 37 Member
Little over three months in and I'm down forty pounds. Went to the Dr to get blood work done and he said I need to cut way back on my portion size. I have been eating really good. Not starving myself at all. I don't really feel like cutting back on portions. Should see some better lab results from my loss so far.

Replies

• tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It seems to me if you have lost 40 lbs without starving yourself that you are doing great. Don't cut back unless your weight loss stops... That's what I say. Does the Dr. KNOW you lost 40 lbs in 3 months?
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I say phooey to the doctor! You're doing awesome! 40lbs is no small feat! Way to go. You'll get there in your own time. I'm of the mind that portion sizes should adjust themselves when your body is ready as long as you're mindful and willing. Don't force it. Doctors really don't know everything. If portion size was all there is to it, this group would not exist.

Congratulations!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor explain his logic on telling you to reduce your portion size?

Congrats!
  • hoecradle
    Options
    I'm 328 currently. My goal is two pounds a week for the next three months. He knows about the weight loss.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Great loss! I say if you're losing, keep up what you've been doing. If and when you stall, then cut back a little.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss... Do not be suprised if your weight loss slows down or stops soon. You have lost a tremendous amount of weight in 3 months. What I find is that every so often my weight loss stops and allows my body to catch up.. Ie shrink. Then in a couple or few weeks the losses start again. Just keep on program and more progress is in store.
  • mookiesb
    mookiesb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am just starting a low Carb doc supervised diet and I hope to have a positive result. I am also returning here to my fitness pal after 2+ years Hope to stay in touch
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Could be that now because you are smaller you need less calories to even just maintain. Like others said you may stall at some point because of that, and your doctor may have just wanted to help you avoid that. Congrats on all your success!
  • hoecradle
    Options
    I told him what I enjoy eating. Ribeyes, bacon, eggs, red chile carne adavada, oryx green chile etc. He said I needed to cut my portions and eat fish and plant based proteins.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    ...so he's basically trying to reduce your intake of saturated fat. Which is why you've been doing so well.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You have lost 40 lbs in 3 months! Wow! That is awesome.
    I think what your doctor is trying to tell you is that he wants you to eat a meditteranean style diet, but whatever. You are losing weight, and I'm sure over time, your bloodwork will prove to the DR that how you are eating is healthy.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Do not stop what is working for you! Many medical professionals are still brainwashed about low fat diets. 40 pounds in three months is amazing weight loss! I'm with all the rest, don't let a stall in loss derail you. You are doing great!
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A lot of weight very fast. 2lbs a week is ideal.

Smile say, "thank you," and trust yourself.
  • hoecradle
    Options
    My blood sugar is still high. Borderline diabetic. My thyroid is still low. Those are not what I wanted to hear at all. Especially the blood sugars.

All my cholesterol numbers are excellent.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You've only been at this for 3 months. Changes in your numbers are going to take some time. Were the BS and Thyroid any better at all, even if still out of range?
    Congrats on the cholesterol numbers!
    Stay the course.
    And in the meantime, tell us about your stats and your goals so we can get to know you.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Twibbly wrote: »
    ...so he's basically trying to reduce your intake of saturated fat. Which is why you've been doing so well.

Yeah. That. *rolling my eyes* Just 'cause he's a doctor....dunn't mean he knows what he's talking about.
  • hoecradle
    Options
    6'3 328 42 yo male.
    Goal is to be close to 300 by July 1st. Be able to walk a 45 pound ruck in 45 minutes by August.
    Then do a 10 mile 65 pound heavy ruck in a decent time for age group by mid Oct.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You sent me to google for that. Learned something. Thanks!

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/army-workouts/training-for-ruck-marches