Cold Oatmeal... Oh my!

Options
BZellars09
BZellars09 Posts: 4 Member
Don't panic.. I'm not crazy, oatmeal can be eaten cold and it's delicious. The following recipe makes 1 serving, throw it all in a sealable container, mix/shake/stir, and refrigerate overnight for breakfast the next morning.

This is the base:
1/4 cup old fashion rolled oats
1/3 cup greek yogurt (plain or flavored)
1/4 cup of almond milk (soy, fat free, skim, pick your poison)
1 tbsp chia seeds (or more)

From here the options are endless, some of my favorite combos are:
Cinnamon Apple
Blueberry Pomagrante
Peanut butter and banana
Strawberry banana
Raspberry vanilla
Cranberry Pecan

I've added these ingredients in different combos, figure out what you like -
Shredded coconut, fresh fruit, honey, dark brown sugar, dried fruit, nuts!

Caution: Chia seeds should NOT be eaten dry. They absorb water and can be a choking hazard because they gel into a glob (seriously). ALWAYS mix them into some sort of fluid and allow them to expand. They are an excellent, nutrient dense addition to smoothies, too :)

Let me know what y'all think!

Replies

• purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • MarvelousMrs
    MarvelousMrs Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many people doing this, but the thought of cold oatmeal makes me very leery. Is this really good?
  • n318w
    n318w Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Its just like a parfait. I had this post going around my fb last yr so I tried it with raspberries and blueberries. Just watch your sugar #s but it is good.
  • BZellars09
    Options
    I don't even like oatmeal and I barely like greek yogurt unless it's mixed with other things and I like this! :)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have made a recipe similar to this for years using a mason jar. It is great!
  • wackyncrazy1
    wackyncrazy1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've made this several times using mason jars. I'll make up a few days worth and put them in the frig taste good and if you don't like it cold just pop it in the microwave.
  • marp2769
    marp2769 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    can you heat this if you have yogurt in it?
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    @BZellars09
    Thanks :) Someone now asked about this very recipe in another of my groups. I shared it with them and credited you of course. ;)

Can't wait to try cold oats... sounds yum since I'm already an oatmeal junkie!
    Hearts <3
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many people doing this, but the thought of cold oatmeal makes me very leery. Is this really good?

Yes! It's really good cold but I prefer to pop it into the microwave for about 1:30 mins to warm it up. I also put 1/2 banana and about 1/3 cup berries in at night. The flavors all meld together that wat. That's the way I eat it. Try it... You'll really like it!
  • pwatol
    pwatol Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When I first heard about overnight oats, I really wanted to give it a try, but I didn't want to add a lot of calories by adding what I usually like in hot oatmeal to improve the flavor (dried cranberries, sugar free maple syrup, raisins, etc.). My tweak is to use Kroger carbmaster flavored yogurts instead of Greek yogurt. Lots of flavor and only 60 calories a serving. You don't know yummy until you've had cool, creamy, key lime oatmeal for breakfast. ;)
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    We used to put oatmeal, dried fruit, a frozen bannana and soy milk (with some ice) in the blenders when I worked at Starbucks. It made a huge serving and kept us full through night shifts so we didn't snack on pastries.
  • kiltedchef
    kiltedchef Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Life that's a great idea. Will have to give that a try!
  • BZellars09
    Options
    @Hearts_2015
    Thanks hun :)

I'm glad people are enjoying it!
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I do this with cold oatmeal.. sometimes I put a scoop into a cake ice cream cone (between 15-30 calories depending on the brand) and eat it on my way to work. Portable breakfast that tastes great and is good for me.
  • amipersin
    amipersin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love over night oats, I myself was super hesitant about the recipe but I tried it and love it, One of the only things that has gotten me to eat breakfast every day....I have been only eating the apple cinnamon but I tried the carrot cake kind and it was not that great at all but you have to try it to know I guess :)