Challenge 2: Click Here!

Options
NotQuiteNorm
NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
TO SEE MINI CHALLENGE CLICK HERE! TO SEE MINI CHALLENGE CLICK HERE! TO SEE MINI CHALLENGE CLICK HERE! TO SEE MINI CHALLENGE CLICK HERE! TO SEE MINI CHALLENGE CLICK HERE! TO SEE MINI CHALLENGE CLICK HERE! TO SEE MINI CHALLENGE CLICK HERE! TO SEE MINI CHALLENGE CLICK HERE! TO SEE MINI CHALLENGE CLICK HERE!
:star:Exercise Mini Challenge :star:
https://youtu.be/rtHEcT38JHc
The goal is to complete as much as you physically can of this video every day. The video is a do-able 500-1000* calorie workout, with a handy bar along the side to show you roughly what you've accomplished - and to participate in this week's challenge you will need to get quite well acquainted to Daniel and Kelly as your goal is to complete the full 1000 by the end of the week!

There will be no scoreboard for this exercise as any effort is a good one, but the rules are:

1. Once you have started the workout, you must not turn it off unless you really can't go on!
2. After you've stopped, you are more than welcome to later add on to that day's progress!

:star:Healthy Eating Mini Challenge :star:
The challenge this week is to take part in as many of the following as you may find possible, gathering points as you go along!
Bronze - 2 days Silver - 4 days Gold - 5 days Platinum - 7/7days!

Meat-free Monday: Make it through the day without eating any meat! Try using foods like fish and nuts to fill your protein macros.

Taco Tuesday: Hot and spicy foods are great for metabolism - try using just the filling in a yummy taco-salad!

Wicked Wednesday: Do some research to find a low-calorie treat that's usually fairly calorie heavy or pull from your own recipe book! Today's challenge is to have your cake and eat it too!

Three-bean Thursday: A perfect time to finish any leftover re-fried beans! Be it haricot** or something more exotic, get your fiber in today!

Fruity Friday: Get your five a day in today! Try to enjoy at least 2 fruit and 3 vegetables!

Soup Saturday: Make one of your meals a delicious soup!

Sundae Sunday: Low calorie ice cream or banana ice cream! Fat free cream or skip it entirely? Add some nuts and maybe a squeeze of Sweet Freedom's Choc Shot... Will you dare to endeavor on a low calorie sundae!?

*Like MFP's calorie tracker, this is an inexact number: Many overweight users with heart rate monitors mentioned around 600-900 recorded calories burnt. **baked beans

Replies

• maphammonds
    maphammonds Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I love FitnessBlender!
    Let's do this!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    About to start now! Eeek, here goes nothing! :triumph:
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    Update: Just FINISHED the entire thing! I had to pause every break and have 1-5 minutes, but I kept standing and basically walked it out by keeping my icy water in the fridge in the other room... You guys should know that my fitness is set to sedentary because I am sedentary - I spent the winter mostly ill and bedridden; I had to take a seat for every 10 minutes walked back in February. This is such a do-able workout and I actually felt like I could properly do almost every move! I kinda died during the ab-workout and am so so drenched in sweat rn, but I felt the need to tell you: I effing did it! If there's a time to swear it's now because I just proudly logged 600* calories!

*The calorie scale along the side is designed to range between a person weighing 110-200lb. Basically the lower your weight the lower you burn (there are other factors: age, height, etc) and I'm putting in 600 because I think it's better to underestimate than to over do it when re-feeding!
  • honeynutloop
    honeynutloop Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Spent the morning emptying out the garden shed and refilling it so didn't try the exercise challenge today. Think that I'll probably only manage it 2 days this week because it's really nice weather for the next few days so I'm going to be doing outside exercise.
    I did meat free 'monday' (wednesday) today. Usually I'm quite the carnivore.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Spent the morning emptying out the garden shed and refilling it so didn't try the exercise challenge today. Think that I'll probably only manage it 2 days this week because it's really nice weather for the next few days so I'm going to be doing outside exercise.
    I did meat free 'monday' (wednesday) today. Usually I'm quite the carnivore.

It doesn't really matter - the exercise challenge is about us being active at times we usually wouldn't so as long as you're doing, that's what counts!

Well done! It doesn't really matter what days you do of course :smiley: My Wicked Wednesday is a success, I found a pizza that's around 400 calories for half! I was looking at all the others in Tesco today and they're mostly about 600 calories every half pizza - the one I usually get about 350 calories just to eat one quarter. Eating it with no guilt as I actually made my Net calories a negative number doing the workout today! Enjoying filling 1/2 of them up with fruit juice and other (mostly healthy) things that usually just aren't worth the calories!!!

I should add: what did you have instead? I've never actually done a meat free day so I'm curious as to the difficulty xD
  • honeynutloop
    Options
    Wasn't too bad. Had porridge for breakfast and then a jam sandwich for lunch before i read the challenge so decided that i could manage to go meat free. Made a veg pasta bake instead of something meaty for dinner. I would say that its been very carb heavy today and I've not felt as full up so would recommend adding extra protein.
    Well done on completing the workout. That's a hell of a workout!
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    It was surprisingly doable!
  • LoeshaElizabeth
    LoeshaElizabeth Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    im going to give it a go on sat/sunday, im pretty sore in the arms from yesterday plus have a beast planned this evening so will be sore in the legs tomorrow, im going cycling on sat but hopefully will be able to do it on sunday and if not def monday :)
  • maphammonds
    Options
    Nice job @NotQuiteNorm! I made it thru the HIIT portion this morning, then had to run my daughter to school, now I'm (ahem...) working. My next regularly scheduled cardio day is Saturday, but I might try to get in the core & abs portion (just 10 minutes) on my strength day tomorrow. We did taco night last night. This weekend will be crazy, as it's our youngests last competion weekend, then my DIL and grandbaby are coming over on Sunday. She's on her own fitness journey so we tend to rev each other up...it'll be a nice visit.

Blessings to all :)
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    @LoeshaElizabeth I don't know how you cope! I have jelly legs today!

@maphammonds Well done! It's nice to hear you have support in the family :)
  • LoeshaElizabeth
    Options
    @NotQuiteNorm heres my tips on working out :): you have to be clever about how you work out do HIIT only 2/3 times a week as its pretty intense so you need recovery time, then do different focus groups with the strength training never the same twice in a row, make sure you have recovery/ little to no impact workouts after a hard HIIT and legs and aways have at least one rest day a week. plus alot of my cardio unless HIIT is no impact like cycling/ walking so i can do that whilst sore :pensive:
    this is my plan for the week and although im a little sore in my arms and legs are pretty stiff my abs are fine and todays workout is low impact so wont push my muscles too hard

monday coming back from holl so no exercise
    tuesday: HIIT with abs total of around an hour with 20 being HIIT 20 abs and 20 warm up cool down or yoga. plus cleaned entire house which must of burned some cals haha
    wednesday: kick boxing routine 40 mins including warm up. arms strength training 30mins including cool down and stretch. plus walked to park and back and ran around with my littel boy at the park, around 2.5 miles
    thursday (arms a little sore): warm up 5 mins, total body HIIT 16 mins, lower body strength routine including cool down 35 mins, partner yoga (soo fun!) 15 mins. Plus walked to the beach and played with Joe (my little boy) total of around 3 miles
    friday (today)(entire body sore): low impact recovery routine 30 mins, abs and lower back workout including cool down and stretch 25mins. plus waking a total of around 4 miles
    sat (legs will likely still be sore (always worse second day) but should be feeling alot better, abs will be sore) cycling 10 miles, nice long yoga routine, lovely day :)
    sunday REST!!!

i have dont this for a while and only occasionally go gym when im bored or have spare time at college, its fun and i have never been uncomfortably sore (apart from once when i did a dead lift wrong) and i have seen massive changes in my body, strength, fitness, my resting heart rate is down by 20bpm and this has been in 6 weeks. i use fitnessblender videos but make up my own plan as i dont like the pressure of having to do workouts on particular days. I hope this helped :)
  • maphammonds
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Finished out the rest of the FB video, logged it as strength. I'm not too worried about calories burned since I'm on the 5:2 plan. Just two more veggies to get in today and I'll have my Fruity Friday challenge checked.

For me, strength training is just as important as cardio. I've really changed the shape of my body by doing body weight & some hand weight exercises (we invested in a Total Gym, which I love). Cardio will get the fat off, but strength training makes what you're left with look pretty :wink:
  • NotQuiteNorm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Finished out the rest of the FB video, logged it as strength. I'm not too worried about calories burned since I'm on the 5:2 plan. Just two more veggies to get in today and I'll have my Fruity Friday challenge checked.

For me, strength training is just as important as cardio. I've really changed the shape of my body by doing body weight & some hand weight exercises (we invested in a Total Gym, which I love). Cardio will get the fat off, but strength training makes what you're left with look pretty :wink:

I have had lot's of fruit and veg every other day but I'm short on calories... Enter FB video to save me and I can make up the 3 I'm missing (assuming 2 apples doesn't count? :sweat_smile: I didn't think so haha) - I am deciding on it once every 2 days maybe as muscles were stiff yesterday!

Do you think we should maybe do a strength challenge? I agree it's so important!

@LoeshaElizabeth thanks! I grew up doing ballet so being out of shape seems that much more challenging! I have no memory of working my way up to physical peak so I just feel a bit lost and am even a little scared to do high intensity in many situations I'd like to work on it though until I can join the local spin class - am thinking of just going anyway in my current condition so I can get an idea of what's expected, but it's daunting!
  • honeynutloop
    Options
    Very active day today - cleaning windows, mowing lawns, walking to the shop and back = 798 cals burned today. :smiley:
    And ... haven't made this today but here's a low calorie cake recipe for wicked Wednesday (friday) which is easy and tasty.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11029/fruity-sponge-cake
    I swapped the filling for jam (so it's kind of a Victoria sponge) and didn't dust it with icing sugar to save cals. Came in at 207 per slice.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ooh yum! I might even just put smushed raspberries straight in middle when I try! :)

Think I'm just gonna stick with first half of the workout today (the HIT part), but I am so happy to find some HIT that I can manage - I tried a number of different things prior to this and just couldn't get into it, but the 20 second work to10 second break intervals seem to be just right for me :D Thanks to @LoeshaElizabeth for introducing us to such a fab workout! :)
  • LoeshaElizabeth
    Options
    check out fitnessblender.com theres plenty more :) just be careful not to do HIIT every day as its not good for you
  • honeynutloop
    Options
    Soup tonight!
    Did fitness blenders lunge workout. Feel so weak and wimpy. Had to sit down for a bit after to recover and it was only 7/8 mins (but 100 lunges!). Definitely think strength workouts should count as calories burned on mfp but as they count cardio as roughly double i don't suppose i can complain realy.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    Options
    check out fitnessblender.com theres plenty more :) just be careful not to do HIIT every day as its not good for you

Yeah, did some swimming today as I find it helps keep me active on days I am a little 'weaker' from the day before!
    Soup tonight!
    Did fitness blenders lunge workout. Feel so weak and wimpy. Had to sit down for a bit after to recover and it was only 7/8 mins (but 100 lunges!). Definitely think strength workouts should count as calories burned on mfp but as they count cardio as roughly double i don't suppose i can complain really.

I'm doing soup too! Strength should definitely count as you can burn loads! If FB has the calorie estimate you could always add it manually!
  • LoeshaElizabeth
    Options
    you could add it manually i do, or put strength training into the cardio database and they have it there :)
  • honeynutloop
    Options
    you could add it manually i do, or put strength training into the cardio database and they have it there :)
    Didn't think to look for strength in cardio! Cheers.