Seem to be maintaining at 1500

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
My weight has not fluctuated at all for a week. BF% seems stable, too, according to my scale. Ok, scale did go up 1 lb the day after Easter because chocolate but then it went right back down to 128 lbs. again so I chalk that up to water weight from the increase in carbs (sugar). I'm 46, 5'2" SAHM to a 3 yr old. I do Stronglifts 5x5 3-4x/ wk and 20-30 min. of cardio on lifting days (3-4x). I'm lifting pretty heavy for my size/weight (squat and deadlift are more than my body weight). My goal is fat loss. I'm okay with weight. I'd like to be around 120 but as long as I'm below 130 I'm happy. I started MFP at 1200 like most people. Lost and gained water weight and then figured out that I was netting well below 1200 cal. a day. Started eating more and lost 9 lbs and 5.5 inches. Now I take in 1500 calories a day (gross). Should I eat more, 100 cal. increments? Or maybe I should stay at 1500 calories for a while and continue the heavy lifting? I read almost all of the EM2WL transformation stories last night and was so inspired! I'm really enjoying weight lifting and love the results!

Replies

• shinealotdana
    shinealotdana Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I put your numbers in the Scooby calculator.http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

It gives a maintenance level of 1985 for moderate activity. You might be higher than that depending on your regular daily activity. It sounds like you could work up to your maintenance level, maybe not even worry about cutting, and let the weight lifting reshape your body.
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with above^^^^. And like we mentioned in your other posts...if you're happy with your weight but just want to see improvements in your body and lose fat, eat at maintenance and keep lifting heavy. Your TDEE is higher than 1500...or should be. It might be suppressed bc you've not been eating enough calories. Slowly work up to your TDEE adding 100 calories per day weekly. I'm sure you'll see you can maintain on much more than 1500 cals. With your activity level, you should easily be able to maintain between 1800-2000 cals...maybe more, but you'll have to increase and test it to know the top end of your TDEE. Just bc you maintained this week at 1500 cals does not mean that is your maintenance! So keep pushing it up and you'll get much better results from your weight training.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Thank you! I feel like I could definitely work up to higher numbers. I haven't done a lot of calorie counting but I did do low calorie dieting around 5 years ago. It was very hard and the results didn't last. If I felt my clothes getting tighter I would just cut back because that was the conventional wisdom. I'm definitely happier eating more and my lifts are getting better. I will start adding 100 cal/day and see how I do.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good luck adding! You might be suprised at how far up you can go! I started at 1200 and didnt see an increase until 3,000 :#
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I've been following your progress, @MandaLeigh123 ! you are far more active than I am but I will see where this takes me.
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    I agree I am super active but I still think you are underestimating your activity level.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Really? I've asked for advice on that in this forum recently and was told I was probably lightly active. My daughter goes to preschool 3 days a week so I'm only with her all day 2 weekdays and the weekend, then a few hours before/after school. I already mentioned my workouts above. Unfortunately, I don't live in a suburban area so I drive most places. At home I'm cooking, cleaning, doing laundry and other mundane chores.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    According to the activity posted above, you would be moderate activity, not lightly active.
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    Agreed. Moderatley.
  • Sumiblue
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok, thanks again!
    *edit* I went back and looked at what I posted before and yes, you told me moderate activity, Jennbecca33. I can read, haha!
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've read this on several threads but just wanted to encourage you too. I came from 1200 then 1400-1600 when I found EM2WL. I'm now up to 2260 and my weight is the same as it was in November but my old skinny jeans are loose and my riding boots are large around my calves (that were tight) All at the same weight and increased calories. Not sure I fully have my mind wrapped around of it yet but I'm happy for the changes and relaxed diet plan.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    This is all very exciting! Thanks for your input. It is hard to wrap one's mind around eating more to lose weight. It goes against everything I've ever heard about weight loss. As a petite, middle aged woman it's especially terrifying! But I believe in it; It just makes sense.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Raised my calories and ate nearly 1700 yesterday! I did a 5x5 workout and 30 min. Kettlebell (12lbs) routine after. I can really feel some DOMS in my hamstrings due to all the squatting in both workouts today so expected to see a higher scale weight. Nope, still 128 but my scale gave me a .6% decrease in body fat. I may go outside for some walk/run cardio today. It's nice out!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Every time I get DOMS, the scale goes up a pound for a day or two (water)... then wooshes down. So dont freak out or change what you are doing if you see a small increase after a heavy workout!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Yes, I had one of those whooshes about a month ago.It was awesome. I had a nice NSV today. I went for a walk/run and I actually liked running. I've never been able to run.mive even tried Couch25K and failed. I e been feeling more fit in general and today I thought I'd try doing running intervals. I liked it!!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Good job! Sounds like you are starting to fuel your workouts.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Yesterday I ate a lot. I did some exercise, too. Today I have crazy DOMS from running and no increase on the scale! I almost wimped out and stayed at 1700 but I trusted the EM2WL way and went up to 1800. I cannot believe that I am eating this much and not gaining! Also, I felt amazing yesterday. I've tried to run before and always felt heavy, chest would hurt, etc. I felt lighter and nothing hurt yesterday. I may even try to do Couch25K again! Mostly I have been lifting heavy since Oct. and done a little cardio. I feel so much more fit!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Great progress! It's amazing how much better we feel when we give our body proper food intake!