Has Hypo-T Ruined your Life? Let's Buddy Up and Get Our Lives/Health Back!

Options
AlisonkStrickland
AlisonkStrickland Posts: 12 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Hello,

I was recently diagnosed with hypo-t in December. My levels were around 10, and I have recently had my meds increased (doubled). I finally have enough energy to start working out again (I used to be pretty skinny). Hypo-T has literally ruined many aspects of my life, as I was un-diagnosed for roughly 5 years. During those 5 years, I lost my job at the gym for uncontrolled weight gain (yes I know its illegal but they can find ways to fire you under the table- I over heard my director state that he was going to let me go because I was a bad example for the gym due to my weight)., my relationship with my boyfriend was ruined because I couldn't stop sleeping and gaining weight, and I recently lost my other high-end job because I couldn't keep up due to foggy brain and memory loss (it was a detail-orientated job at a financial firm). I have always been a very aggressive person when it comes to my health and my career and it kills me that I was going through this for so long without being treated.

I am determined to get my life back on track and I would like to meet people who would like to buddy with me so we can keep each other accountable. I would love to hear how Hypo-T has affected you and how you are all combating the evils of having this condition.

Honestly I feel very lonely and I need to know I am not the only one who has dealt with terrible life changes due to this condition.

ME: 5 YEARS AGO BEFORE HYPO KICKED IN.
4w89m3cf2ut7.jpg

ME: 3/29/2015
ubuus0r2sl5k.jpg

Replies

• LuvMyCapt
    LuvMyCapt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh girl!. I feel your pain! My husband is barely speaking to me and looks at me judgingly whenever I eat or am sitting on the couch. I am waiting to get into a health and hormone clinic at the end of the month. Although I have never been model thin I was able to keep weight off when I put fourth decent effort. Not so in the last 6 years. I am determined to find someone to help me since looking on t
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I was undiagnosed for even longer than you. I'm sad for all the wasted years (angry, too), but grateful for how much better I feel now. Thyroid meds + MFP changed my life.

You are not alone. It's a cliché, but if I could do this you can, too.
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You are not alone Allison. This dysfunction has made life, well dysfunctional is so many ways. It is so hard for the people around you to get what you are going through. It looks like laziness or apathy to others and shoot even feels like that to me at times. It has been hard on my husband and my kids but I like to think that it has taught them in some ways to be compassionate towards people who struggle with health conditions and not to focus so much on themselves jalap to be grateful for good health! I do feel like I have lost a lot through this condition but life does not have to revolve around it. Symptoms can be relieved, maybe not perfectly but with a good doctor/practitioner it can come really close to normal. Don't give up hope! A few years ago I was on the path to lose almost all of the weight I had gained and got down to 128 but then slacked off, stopped logging... I'm back now and am doing well. I suggest you look up a post another member linked to on another thread: "Getting Started-a guide to sexy pants..." It'll help you get on track. I've been following their guidelines and am losing a #/wk. Best wishes! Keep in touch! Send a friend request if you'd like!
  • AlisonkStrickland
    Options
    Thank you. I have read it- Before having hypo and having been diagnosed, I had actually lost 70lbs. After hypo i gained it and then some.. I'm more concerned as to what the condition will allow me to do in terms of dropping weight normally.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The Sexypants advice worked for me—crappy thyroid & all. If you have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), it's entirely possible you were hyperthyroid during at least some of the time you were losing.

A healthy, sustainable loss is .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. I lost more slowly than that—30 lbs. in a year and a half. But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.
  • Michelle52801429
    Michelle52801429 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are not alone at all!!! I gained about 30 pounds before being diagnosed (only figured it out b/c I was trying to get pregnant. I had a baby about 4 months ago and now have thyroid weight AND baby weight to loose! Don't lose hope - you'll get back to a healthy weight if you keep working at it!!
  • AlisonkStrickland
    Options
    :) thank you all for your stories and kind words!
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hello Alison. I was off my thyroid for 7 years due to lack of insurance. My poor body grew just like yours did. Foggy brain too. I had people just thinking I was stuffing my face and when I said I was off my thyroid meds I would tell they were oh yah right......... Now I am back on my meds I am dropping some weight. The thyroid meds do not really make you lose the weight. They just let your body function better so you feel better and feel more like getting up and moving. I am having to get 9 hours or more sleep at night but at east I do not need the 2 to 3 hour nap in the afternoon.

I did go low carb healthy fat WOE and it has really helped stop the hungries and helped me to lose weight once I got my numbers set right.
  • breeze_brat
    breeze_brat Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am hypo and also have asthma and on 4 medications for that including steroids. I have tried so many things (south beach diet, weight watchers, limiting junk food and that is hard as I love chips and nothing seems to work. I dance every Friday night (square dance, line dance, fast dance, clogging/fast to fiddle tunes and slow dance) and still struggle. I have to be careful because of my asthma as to not bring on an attack and have had to walk off the floor during a dance (song) due to breathing struggles.