How to lose water weight after birth control??

Options
deevatude
deevatude Posts: 322 Member
I stopped taking BC about 6 months ago and gained 15 pounds. Im sure its water weight because my diet never changed and I exercise everyday. I eat about 2100 calories a day and do about 30 min of cardio right now because I picked up a 2nd job. I noticed that if I go over my sodium intake by for example 100, I quickly gain about 3 pounds the next day. The issue is that the weight refuses to come off. Im really frustrated and dont know what to do at this point. Someone please help.

Here are stats if that helps

5"7
175lbs
26 years old

I really need to go back down to 160.

Replies

• rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i gained loads on depo provera. progesterone has a negative impact when dieting as it can make the body retain water. for me i can only lose the first half of my cycle then it stalls the 2nd half . so i am only losing up to 2lbs per month if i am lucky. i basically had to drop the sodium levels to start and drink more water to stop my body retaining. i then made the mistake of losing most of the weight doing low cab v low calorie diets. it worked but i was starving and felt ill. i go by scooby calculators now to estimate my TDEE then eat 15% below this and so far i have been maintaining for 3 weeks but its been early. i was on depo provera for a long time before my kids and i gained 5 stones on it
  • rachylouise87
    Options
    p.s gaining that quick almost certainly suggests water. i gained 3lbs in my first week of eating normally. it upset me but i have since lost 2lbs of that. every day i can have a different scale reading. but increase the water that really helps me
  • deevatude
    Options
    I feel like im going to be dealing with this for the rest of my life. I have to be super strict to not gain any weight but losing it takes forever. Before I ever took BC, I could eat salty food, gain weight and lose it in 3 days. Now, after BC, i cant even eat the snack bag of doritos without gaining 3 pounds. I dont drink anything other than water so my water intake is pretty high. I may have some other issues going on as that im constantly bloated. I need help figuring out a routine that will show constant loss.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Water weight gain will NOT forever mask fat loss.

Fat loss will still happen, and outside stressed elevated cortisol which could add 20 lbs of water.

Even attempting to specifically lose water weight will usually cause someone to do foolish things with diet that really doesn't help.

If gained that easily - your body has probably been wanting a higher level of sodium already, and therefore doesn't want to lose it.

Sodium is needed in the body, one of main electrolytes in the blood for proper heart functioning actually.
  • deevatude
    Options
    I stopped losing weight a year ago because i was at my goal weight. I was maintaining. Being on BC was like PMS'ing all the time. I dont think my body was sodium starved since before I started BC, i could eat foods high in sodium, gain weight and lose it in 3 days. Many women who have taken BC have the same problem.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Are you saying you believe that its 15lbs of water weight? Just clarifying your original post
  • deevatude
    Options
    Yes, 15lbs of water weight. I track everything and there is no way I gained 15lbs of fat. The weight gain was reletively quick, I will clairfy that it didnt take me 6 months to gain 15lbs, it actually happened quicker than that.
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    I see :-) I dont know much about birth control so I was just googling away (which you have probably already done!). Seems like what I was reading was talking mostly about water retention while taking birth control, not after stopping. I saw some random posts on other message boards from people asking the same thing as you. All our bodies are so different. I wish I could help but I would say its worth talking to a doc about it and explaining to them. Seems like you had roughly a 10% gain in weight & I read if you have a 15% gain related to birth control, it'd be a good to visit a doc.
  • MandaLeigh123
    Options
    One girl said her bc was covering up a hormone irregularity and once she went to the doc and got it sorted, she lost that weight back.
  • deevatude
    Options
    Going to the doc was my next step but im trying all avenues first before I actually book an apointment.
  • rachylouise87
    Options
    One girl said her bc was covering up a hormone irregularity and once she went to the doc and got it sorted, she lost that weight back.

i have one of these but its the weight causing it i have been told. the more i lose the better it gets but still struggling to lose the fat