so, zero carb folks...

Options

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    So when is the ZC challenge? May Meat Month?

FWIW, it's actually recommended as a good way to try out keto:
    http://www.empiri.ca/p/eat-meat-not-too-little-mostly-fat.html
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    LOL, I wouldn't encourage anyone to try it in the same way as not counting. While I believe it is awesome and fantastic, it is also impractical and beyond what most people need/want from low carb. If someone wants to try it, awesome. But, If they're happy with their current carb level, then I don't think they should change.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I would try it just fot the heck of it. Just to see. I think I might go a little squirrely though. I don't think there would be enough variety to keep me happy. I like my coconut oil and my coconut in my fat bombs. But I would still (and my yet) give it a go at some point.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    After going thru a serious cancer myself, all the education and research taught me that we ALL have cancer, and our bodies combat it daily. Are you aware you dump ~1 million cancer cells a day? everyday of the year, for life. they leave as waste…our bodies are constantly sacrificing cells and washing them out to protect organs. When there is a need to autopsy very elderly dead they are found to have, usually, 3 cancers that were encapsulated sometime in the past, meaning the body silently took care of it without you knowing.

People see cancer as something from the outside that comes in and attacks you, but it is the opposite. it is your own body forming a tumor around the sacrificed cells and protecting you.

We learn that sugars and the toxic foods overwhelm the body's ability to fight by itself, the modern diet and cancer go hand in hand.

There is a lot to learn as cancer is as different as each person, and there is NO one 'cure'..it is what we do with "food as medicine' that helps most, and the AMA push for chemo, when it is known to only help 3% of cancer types ( Like Lance Armstrong testicular cancer, so he is their poster boy) and people trust it will be the same for them…no, in most cases.) And MDs themselves would not accept chemo, yet it is offered as a "do something/anything" approach.

Because these chemo and radiation treatments KILL all healthy cells in the body, everywhere, that are needed daily to replace old cells it is a double whammy to the body....it is testament to your body's ability to take that kind of 'hit' and still recover to be healthy again. Despite 100 years of research, 50 years of strong medicines we have no real drop in any cancers. The ACS is a money making machine, and researchers seeking 'different' approaches are not given grants, and not encouraged..only the whacky "alternative medicine" people keep talking about using food to heal.

My surgeon and resident doc LAUGHED at me for arguing for better diet, and in my records are my "inability to accept standard of care" crazy patient notes. They are clueless on nutrition, and as we see with the USDA dietitians still pushing carbs for everyone. "Complementary medicine" is very slowly being tolerated by big medicine..you are on your own to find answers.

I'm not talking children who develop unusual cancers, or some cancers that must be treated in conventional ways to stay alive, (but what caused them?) I am speaking of how your relationship with your body can help you prevent any cancer cells from needing to clump and stay as a tumor, and how rushing to yank out 'parts' is not the answer. OVER-use of modern medicine, rather than letting the body work it out.

a healthy diet that helps you stay strong is the best thing you can ever do.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've been trying ZC for April. So far, I've loved it. I'm completely new. I did write about my experiences thus far in the April Challenge check-in thread.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    I would try it just fot the heck of it. Just to see. I think I might go a little squirrely though. I don't think there would be enough variety to keep me happy. I like my coconut oil and my coconut in my fat bombs. But I would still (and my yet) give it a go at some point.

The "but variety!" thing always cracks me up. If you take a good look at what you're eating, there probably isn't that much variety already, just the same things prepared differently.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    "Variety".

I've been eating:

Oysters
    Prawns
    Fish
    Beef - mince, steak, roast
    Pork - chops, roast (with delicious, delicious crackling)
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Chicken - Pan fried, oven roasted with crispy skin
    Butter
    Animal Fat
    Cream - In coffee and sauces (garlic cream sauce... yummmmmmm)
    Sour Cream

You can make sauces and mayo to go with your food or just pour melted better over it. Plenty of variety. This is not repetitive or boring. It's delicious.

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Okay, where do I get reindeer meat??
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

Step 1: Have your spouse distract Santa.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

HEHE can tell you arent a gamer or a South Park fan.

ok

Step 2: Set out some reindeer games
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: Profit!

Rinse and repeat until freezer is full.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Reindeer = caribou. You might be able to import it from Canada.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    You'd probably have to be a hunter or know someone who hunts in order to get some. I live in Manitoba Canada, and I can buy farmed elk and bison in the health food stores or specialty meat shops. I love deer and especially moose meat. I like a combo of moose / beef in my burgers. ( I've run out of moose right now...) I've had bear meat and I'm looking to get me some more. I have a couple of friends who hunt.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    i grew up in a hunting family. i miss venison. and hunting with my dad.

(i vividly remember my mom slicing boiled deer hesrt for sandwiches and raising an eyebrow - but they were delicious!)

hmn... maybe i come by this carnivorous thing naturally, after all.

i have decided to give it a go for 30 days and see what happens. i am already aiming so low for carbs, it isn't that much of a stretch. and i honestly don't feel like i can stomach one more bitr of kale! (:
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    bite*
  • Dragonwolf
    edited April 2015
    Options
    i grew up in a hunting family. i miss venison. and hunting with my dad.

(i vividly remember my mom slicing boiled deer hesrt for sandwiches and raising an eyebrow - but they were delicious!)

hmn... maybe i come by this carnivorous thing naturally, after all.

i have decided to give it a go for 30 days and see what happens. i am already aiming so low for carbs, it isn't that much of a stretch. and i honestly don't feel like i can stomach one more bitr of kale! (:

:drinker: Yay, another venison lover! I always request at least one venison meal when I go to my parents' house.

OMG, now I want venison burgers cooked over our new charcoal grill...
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    What benefits does 0 carb over? I also wonder why not eat any veggies?

The benefits are different for everyone. Most people quickly lose any desire for sweets. Your hunger signals are more in check. Weight tends to normalize. Some have reported reduction in allergies. I seem to be experiencing that, but I can't be sure that it's not just because there aren't low allergens right now. You stop tracking anything. I don't count carbs. I don't count anything. There's no macros to worry about, no fiber to subtract, no ketones to consider. You eat meat until you're full. Meal planning is simple and cooking is quick. I'm having a meat. There's nothing with it. There's really no fancy preparation to do to it either. It sounds boring, and in a way it isn't exciting, but it's also strangely comfortable and easy to accept. A lion doesn't get bored with zebra meat. You don't crave variety because your body isn't missing anything it needs. A lot of craving comes from the fact that you're lacking some nutrient and your body wants more, and/or different, food until that need it met.

Why not eat any vegetables? This is a good question. Personally, it is because my opinion of vegetables has shifted radically from the standard. While most people see vegetables as falling on a range from "healthy to not so healthy" (say for example spinach would be healthy and corn would be not so healthy but still better than nothing), I see vegetables ranging from, at best, "neutral" down to, "harmful." While most people would class a baked potato as "fairly" healthy, I consider it down with the harmful. Actually, my list of "neutral" vegetables seems to grow smaller and smaller the more I investigate them. It used to include spinach and the cruciferous veggies (the keto approved ones), but based on their metabolic and digestive effects, I currently think they're less harmful than many vegetables (like corn) but probably aren't harmless.

Vegetables are not required for health. We can get all the nutrients we need for health from meat, even if we don't resort to eating organ meats. While it appears that some nutrients are less plentiful in meat, what amount is there is highly absorbable and easily utilized by the body. Those vegetables which have seemingly high sources of nutrients, often include substances which hinder absorption and what is absorbed often requires inefficient conversion to make it useful. Take iron, for example. Trying to get all your iron from spinach alone would be asking for trouble unless you carefully adhered to some best practices. You would want to eat a source of vitamin C with that spinach, because that's going to make the iron more absorbable. Without the vitamin C (or eating meat with the spinach), you'll get almost no usable iron absorbed. What little does make it into your blood will be nonheme iron, which is only 10% as useful as heme iron (from meat). The same holds true for most other nutrients.

While meat does appear to be low on some of the RDAs, those are based on a mixed diet and the assumption that you're getting some of that amount from plants. A meat diet also reduces the need for some nutrients. B1 requirements, for example, are lower because a large quantity of B1 is used for carbohydrate metabolism.

What about the two biggies, vitamin C and fiber, both of which are nonexistent in animal sources? We are convinced that both of these are essential for health. If you don't consume enough vitamin C, you'll quickly develop scurvy. But, that's only partly true. If you don't consume enough vitamin C, while eating carbohydrates and unfresh foods, you will quickly develop scurvy. Scurvy can be prevented, and even cured, with nothing but fresh meat. While fresh meat doesn't have vitamin C in it, it has an antiscorbutic (as in it prevents/cures scurvy) effect. Wikipedia suggest that fresh meat does contain trace amounts of vitamin C, I've found little support for that. In any case, whether it does or does not, the effect is the same. Eating fresh meat, not heavily cooked, is enough to avoid scurvy.

Fiber is classed as an antinutrient. Not only does it provide no nutrition for us, it can hinder the absorption of other nutrients. It also can irritate the bowel, cause or worsen constipation, and often has other unpleasant side effects (it's not a coincidence that I no longer fart). It is not required for regularity, it can even cause problems with it. There's been studies that show removing all sources of fiber can help improve/cure some forms of constipation. I have had, essentially, no fiber for 3/4s of a year, and I am as regular as I have ever been.

Alright, I think I've rambled enough for the time being. You're welcome to reject any or all of this as crazy ramblings of a lunatic. "Broccoli is bad for you?! What a madman!" :wink:

:) thank you for taken the time to explain all of this.

I'm new to all of this so any information helps me gain a perspective to begin research.

I looked into it a little more last night and saw some articles that it is not a long term plan but can be used in the short term. Is that your experience as well or do you feel this can be a long term method.

(please don't take any of my questions as judgement)

I second this-I'm brand new to this whole thing and it's fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing your own experience-it gives me a place to start as I start diving into this woe more :)
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have eaten a fair share of wild game in my life as well (also in Canada) but I have to say the BEST meat I've ever eaten is seal. Very hard to get unless you live out there and know someone but ooh la la! It has almost no fat (the fat is a separate layer on them) and cuts like butter.
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    i would love to try seal! i don't believe i have tried tasting any sea mammals at all! (well, unless you count the dolphin in my tuna fish sandwiches in the 80s. sorry!)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    We have a restaurant here that serves wild game, actually more than one, but the one I'm thinking of is more trendy mainstream. People are really starting to expand to different sources of meat.

Something that made a connection for me the other day was reading an article about ancient cultures that are meat/fat, one if them being the native buffalo eating cultures. I live in the suburbs of buffalo ny, named for the high population of buffalo in the area. It makes me think that different parts of the world are populated by different species of animal and plant. Could it be that because we live in those areas we need the indigenous sources fur optimal health, which could be different for everyone given their geographic location.

The prevalence off auto immune disorders, weight issues, diabetes are extremely high in my area, much attributed to the winter weather causing a more sedentary lifestyle.

Could it explain why studies of some groups show one WOE is beneficial for some but unhealthy for others?

*sorry if my posts kinda ramble, I get thinking and my mind just goes
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I believe that to be true. We see our aboriginal cultures where I live, to be facing devastating health consequences such as obesity and diabetes, as a result of adopting a sugary, high carb, highly processed SAD diet. I'm sure that their modern diet is much different than the diet they would have eaten centuries or even decades ago, when they would have eaten off the land......wild meat including fat, fish, berries, etc.... I suspect that if they returned to that way of eating, their health would improve.