Is high fat dangerous for the heart?

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
I know I've posted about my 'fat fear' before and this seems like a repeat but hear me out please :)
I'm having trouble getting my parents to understand my low carb high fat diet specifically because they believe that the amount of fat I'm eating is going to damage my heart, I have aortic valve regurgitation so they are more wary than if I was completely healthy.
I've seen some of the links in the launch pad and seen a documentary or two on here but I know they wouldn't even sit through them let alone take any information from it so are there any studies that back up the idea that consuming fat is a serious health risk heart wise or that it's perfectly fine when consuming healthy fats? so even if I can't get them to listen I can be armed with the information myself, I've looked online but I feel like everyone on here might be a bit better educated on this than myself and understand the studies better :)

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The FDA just recently revised their recommendations surrounding fat, cholesterol, sodium. You might want to visit their website and do some hunting there. My mom immediately de-stressed when the new ideas came out.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    There have been MANY studies. None of the results, AFAIK, have been very definitive. That's at least partly because we're all different. Some people can probably be harmed by a high fat diet. Some people can definitely be harmed by a diet of excess carbs.

Get your lipid profile before your diet. Get another one after a couple months on the diet. Your own test results will tell you more about your risk than a study using people who aren't you. :)

For a lot of people, LDL will go up on a LCHF diet. What usually happens is that the type of LDL changes -- it goes from small and dense on high carb to big and fluffy on low carb. The big and fluffy is less atherogenic. What matters more than the LDL concentration is the LDL particle count. Some people get an increased particle count on a high fat diet, and that would increase the risk of heart disease.
  • Jennym93
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    There have been MANY studies. None of the results, AFAIK, have been very definitive. That's at least partly because we're all different. Some people can probably be harmed by a high fat diet. Some people can definitely be harmed by a diet of excess carbs.

Get your lipid profile before your diet. Get another one after a couple months on the diet. Your own test results will tell you more about your risk than a study using people who aren't you. :)

For a lot of people, LDL will go up on a LCHF diet. What usually happens is that the type of LDL changes -- it goes from small and dense on high carb to big and fluffy on low carb. The big and fluffy is less atherogenic. What matters more than the LDL concentration is the LDL particle count. Some people get an increased particle count on a high fat diet, and that would increase the risk of heart disease.

Ah perfect I have a doctors app. on monday so I can ask then :)
  • wabmester
    Options
    If you have known heart issues, ideally your doc is already ordering one of the more advanced lipid panel tests, but it couldn't hurt to ask. The standard cheap one is pretty worthless. Ask about a VAP or NMR lipid panel. Both will give you a lot of interesting information.
  • Jennym93
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok so since I know so little about cholesterol and the tests I've looked it up and it says that the blood test measures
    Total cholesterol.
    LDL (low density lipoprotein cholesterol).
    HDL (high density lipoprotein cholesterol)
    &
    Triglycerides
    (if it's helpful here's the link http://www.webmd.boots.com/cholesterol-management/guide/cholesterol-numbers)
    So should I specify that I'd like to have it checked to find out the individual measurements for all of the above? Would it be best to explain my diet too so she knows why I want to test it?
    I don't recall ever being told about my cholesterol before so it would be really good to know, is anyone else UK based and requested a test before?
    I also will be asking about whether I have been tested for insulin resistance as I don't believe I have and that's another reason to go low carb
    Sorry if all these questions sound really stupid I just want to be absolutely clear before I go in
  • wabmester
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's a standard test in the US, at least when you get older. They'll ask you to fast for 12 hours before the test. They all cover the basics you've listed. The VAP will break things down to their component levels, and the NMR adds LDL particle count.

They rarely test directly for insulin resistance, but you can tell pretty well by your fasting blood sugar and your triglyceride level.

Edit: VAP may be proprietary to US labs -- I think they use gel electrophoresis to separate the components. Telling your doc that you want to experiment with a diet would probably help. My doc was very willing to follow-up on my "lifestyle modification" program.
  • Jennym93
    Options
    It's a standard test in the US, at least when you get older. They'll ask you to fast for 12 hours before the test. They all cover the basics you've listed. The VAP will break things down to their component levels, and the NMR adds LDL particle count.

They rarely test directly for insulin resistance, but you can tell pretty well by your fasting blood sugar and your triglyceride level.

Thank you, I will definitely ask on monday about both, even if they can't test for insulin resistance I might be able to get an idea of how likely it is, hopefully
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The lipoprotein NMR is the one that i get, insurance covers it the same as the standard cholesterol test for me, so that's just the standard thing I get now 2-3 times a year.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If the doctor gives you the OK to go LC and isn't concerned for your health I might fib to your parents (since they won't believe the doctor anyway).

Tell them the doc thinks you might be pre-diabetic and he agrees that eating LC would be a good test to see if your numbers reverse. Then in a few months when they have been on board, go back to the doc and "hey look at that, your numbers are great"
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Jennym93 wrote: »

Thank you, I will definitely ask on monday about both, even if they can't test for insulin resistance I might be able to get an idea of how likely it is, hopefully

o.O

I get a fasted insulin test every 3 months to check my insulin resistance. My A1C and glucose levels are spot on perfect, fasting or not so they'd be of NO use for IR tests. But the fasting insulin tests is how they test of insulin resistance here especially because there are quite a few of us who have no blood sugar/glucose side effect of high insulin.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    I get a fasted insulin test every 3 months to check my insulin resistance. My A1C and glucose levels are spot on perfect, fasting or not so they'd be of NO use for IR tests. But the fasting insulin tests is how they test of insulin resistance here especially because there are quite a few of us who have no blood sugar/glucose side effect of high insulin.

Do you know your fasting triglyceride level? There seems to be a pretty good correlation with fasting triglycerides and IR, but it's not perfect (and seems to be race dependent too).

IntJAppBasicMedRes_2014_4_3_41_140733_u6.jpg
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

Do you know your fasting triglyceride level? There seems to be a pretty good correlation with fasting triglycerides and IR, but it's not perfect (and seems to be race dependent too).

IntJAppBasicMedRes_2014_4_3_41_140733_u6.jpg

Id have to go dig out my last blood test, but they are bairly above normal even when my fasting insulin was over 45 and the test 'normal' range was 5-20.

But again, because my IR comes from my PCOS/hormone craziness and not a diabetic or pre-diabetic issue, maybe the numbers are different? But I know they test my A1C every 3 months along with my fasting glucose and my fasting insulin and my glucose and A1C has always been dead set middle of normal but my insulin will be crazy high, or was before I started Metformin.

So while the triglycerides and glucose or blood sugar tests might give a fuller picture, I'd still strongly recommend a fasting insulin test to see if you insulin is high even if the rest of your numbers are normal or near normal.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

When PCOS enters the equation, all bets are off.

My fasting insulin was, as of a month or two ago, 33. My triglycerides were about 80.
  • wabmester
    Options
    I would love to understand how that works. We know IR can selectively affect different tissues, but if somebody has normal blood sugar, that implies that muscles are not IR. If you have normal TG, that implies that adipose and liver are OK.

Anyway, Korean woman with PCOS seem to correlate with TG a bit:
    http://www.eymj.org/DOIx.php?id=10.3349/ymj.2015.56.3.785
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
  • wabmester
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you have normal TG, that implies that adipose and liver are OK.

Taubes tells me I might be wrong. If you have IR, your insulin levels are high. If your liver is normal and other tissues are IR, then the liver will over-secrete TG based on the insulin signal.

So, that seems to imply that if your TG is normal and your insulin is high, then your liver is IR?
  • Jennym93
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Thanks, I've seen it and there's no way my parents would even sit through it.
    But I will watch it again myself :)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Hi Jenny---Some of my family members have had big doubts and strong cautions about my following this way of eating. I was kind of nervous, too. Until I compared blood work from a couple of days ago with some that was taken in January before I started LCHF eating. The first numbers are from Jan, the second from Thursday. All are measured in mg/dl. As you can see, my body is responding well to this WOE. The really concerned relative doesn't quite know what to say.... ;)

Estimate Average Glucose: 128 - 114
    Non-HDL: 160 - 116
    A1c: 6.1 - 5.6
    LDL Calc: 137 - 100
    Cholesterol: 214 - 173
    Triglycerides: 115 - 79
    HDL: 54 - 57
    Chol/HDL ratio: 4.0 - 3.0

You can add me as a friend and look at my macros if you want. Hope this helps!
  • Jennym93
    Options
    Hi Jenny---Some of my family members have had big doubts and strong cautions about my following this way of eating. I was kind of nervous, too. Until I compared blood work from a couple of days ago with some that was taken in January before I started LCHF eating. The first numbers are from Jan, the second from Thursday. All are measured in mg/dl. As you can see, my body is responding well to this WOE. The really concerned relative doesn't quite know what to say.... ;)

Estimate Average Glucose: 128 - 114
    Non-HDL: 160 - 116
    A1c: 6.1 - 5.6
    LDL Calc: 137 - 100
    Cholesterol: 214 - 173
    Triglycerides: 115 - 79
    HDL: 54 - 57
    Chol/HDL ratio: 4.0 - 3.0

You can add me as a friend and look at my macros if you want. Hope this helps!
    wow :)
    The more I read the more I want to stick with low carb, I suppose having tests and showing my parents (and myself) if it really is making a positive difference is the only way to really bring them round, I'm hoping I can get tests done next week and then compare after a month or so of eating as low carb as possible, I just want a long term sustainable way of eating since I know if I lose weight doing something that I just won't stick to or don't enjoy I'll pile it all back on
  • wabmester
    Options
    Congrats, wheatless! Great progress!