are 'meatless' dinners possible on keto??

Options
nelsaphine
nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
I find that if I don't have meat, I don't meet my fat goal. But I also, often go over on protein. How can I have a high fat dinner without meat/protein? Btw my calories are all over the place, I often go over, I know. I'm still nursing my 12 month old son and find that If it eat less than that amount it hurts my supply. Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions you may have :)

Replies

• GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to avoid meat? Protein isn't so bad. While I don't personally go meatless, I try to eat more fatty meat like chicken thighs.

If you need to up the fat, there are several fat options that don't have any protein. If you can stomach downing those fatbombs, some people use those to hit their macros.
  • nelsaphine
    Options
    Is there a reason you want to avoid meat? Protein isn't so bad. While I don't personally go meatless, I try to eat more fatty meat like chicken thighs.

If you need to up the fat, there are several fat options that don't have any protein. If you can stomach downing those fatbombs, some people use those to hit their macros.

Thank you for the input!! I'm not necessarily trying to avoid meat...it's just that even though it helps reach my fat goal it also takes me over in protein.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That "lean only" top round roast is what's killing you. Either the entry isn't accurate, or you need to get a fattier roast (or add fat to the existing one). That should help without doing a "meatless" type of thing.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Fat only needs to be a goal if you are losing weight too quickly or you need additional calories for energy or athletic performance ... how far below are you talking?
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    The obvious solution is... fattier meat. Also, eggs cooked in fat (butter, bacon fat, coconut oil, whstever floats your boat). Bonus, fattier meat is juicier and tastier.
  • nelsaphine
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Fat only needs to be a goal if you are losing weight too quickly or you need additional calories for energy or athletic performance ... how far below are you talking?

I'm sorry I don't think I know what you mean by 'fat only needs to be a goal if losing weight too quickly'? When on keto isn't eating high fat & low carb the goal? I worry about too much protein because I've read that excess protein turns into glucose.
  • nelsaphine
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    That "lean only" top round roast is what's killing you. Either the entry isn't accurate, or you need to get a fattier roast (or add fat to the existing one). That should help without doing a "meatless" type of thing.

Thank you! I'm thinking that entry might not be accurate..it's just what I had on my log from way back when I thought 'low fat was the way to go.

• nelsaphine
    Options
    The obvious solution is... fattier meat. Also, eggs cooked in fat (butter, bacon fat, coconut oil, whstever floats your boat). Bonus, fattier meat is juicier and tastier.

Thank you :)
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I found I was hitting higher protein numbers and not losing weight when I first started out. I dropped my protein servings from 3 oz to 2 oz for lunch and dinner. That's helped me a lot. My daily calories are 1300 so I don't have a lot of room to play.

As an interesting backstory, I was a seafood vegetarian for 26 years prior to going keto. I researched the possibility of going keto with those restrictions and determined I couldn't afford it. I was also highly lactose intolerant for > 10 years. No meat, no cheese...I don't think I could have made it work. If I had plenty of cash, I could probably have done the SALMON ALL THE TIME thing, but...heh...I'm not made of money. Considering all the carbs that went into my meatless meals (beans, tofu) to get a complete protein profile...I dunno. Didn't look feasible to me.
    As it happens, my fiance is very happy that we can share meals now, and I've lost weight.

-T.
  • kirkor
    Options
    nelsaphine wrote: »

I'm sorry I don't think I know what you mean by 'fat only needs to be a goal if losing weight too quickly'? When on keto isn't eating high fat & low carb the goal? I worry about too much protein because I've read that excess protein turns into glucose.

All you need for keto:

Carbs are a hard limit
    Protein is a goal (multiplier based on weight, fat, and exercise)
    Fat is to satiety (and adjusted for weight & performance goals)

Keto *is* high fat compared to SAD, but all that it *needs* is carbs low enough so your body burns FFAs & ketones instead of glucose.

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options

All you need for keto:

Carbs are a hard limit

Keto *is* high fat compared to SAD, but all that it *needs* is carbs low enough so your body burns FFAs & ketones instead of glucose.

^^ This!

With all the talk about high fat I was forcing myself to eat more fat than I needed/wanted. And since the weight was coming out nicely I thought I was doing it right. But then I hit a plateau and kept gaining and losing the same 5lbs over and over again. It doesn't look like I would increase weight as long as I kept my carbs low but neither would I lose it if I kept eating a gazillion calories from fat!

Btw, for Easter weekend I was with friends and restricted to a vegetarian diet. Even though I controlled what I ate (no cereals, no fruit, no sweets) and managed to keep BG below 120 after meals, the result from those 3 days was +4kg/9lbs! My experiences with no-meat meals are finished.
  • nelsaphine
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

All you need for keto:

Carbs are a hard limit

^^ This!

With all the talk about high fat I was forcing myself to eat more fat than I needed/wanted. And since the weight was coming out nicely I thought I was doing it right. But then I hit a plateau and kept gaining and losing the same 5lbs over and over again. It doesn't look like I would increase weight as long as I kept my carbs low but neither would I lose it if I kept eating a gazillion calories from fat!

Btw, for Easter weekend I was with friends and restricted to a vegetarian diet. Even though I controlled what I ate (no cereals, no fruit, no sweets) and managed to keep BG below 120 after meals, the result from those 3 days was +4kg/9lbs! My experiences with no-meat meals are finished.

Wow thank you all for your help! I see things differently and need to make some adjustments.

• kirkor
    Options
    It doesn't look like I would increase weight as long as I kept my carbs low but neither would I lose it if I kept eating a gazillion calories from fat!

Old-school Atkins advice:
    Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
    1972, p.275

"Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger."

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    So, this kinda freaks me out, carnivore that I am, but Leanne Vogel just posted a video on being a LC/keto vegan.

http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/04/video-low-carb-vegan-keto-plant-based/
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, Twibbly.
    That site is awesome.
    Thanks for sharing!

-T.
  • nelsaphine
    Options
    It doesn't look like I would increase weight as long as I kept my carbs low but neither would I lose it if I kept eating a gazillion calories from fat!

Old-school Atkins advice:
    Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution
    1972, p.275

"Q. Don’t calories play any role?

A. There’s no question—of course they do. A 1500-calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off—and more quickly—than a 2000-calorie, 10-gram diet. If the carbohydrate levels remain unchanged, then the extra caloric intake does make a difference. People who eat out of force of habit and don’t cut their quantities lose more slowly because of their high caloric intake.

If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so—but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger."

OK so...calories do count right? Is that what we are saying here. I'm sorry, I don't know if I'm just reading too much into this or...
  • kirkor
    Options
    Depends on who you ask ;)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I just yesterday set my calories to 2500 because 1) I will only hit that number a few times a year and 2) I was tired of MFP arguing with me about my evening tea with cream going over my calories. If I just eat within my macros, I mostly self-regulate. There are days when my calories are over 2000, and there are days when I barely made it to 1200.