Should I eliminate dairy?

Options
Chrysalid2014
Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Hi all,
I'm new to low carb, and am just formulating a weight-loss plan. I just read this about eliminating all dairy except butter and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it. I'm not sure if the source is reputable or not. At the moment I normally eat plain 0% greek yoghurt every day, I use 2% milk in tea and eat low-fat cottage cheese once or twice a week. (I've already gleaned that I should switch to full-fat and was planning to do so as soon as my current supplies are used up.) but...

"The amino acid composition in dairy protein makes it very potent at spiking insulin. In fact, dairy proteins can spike insulin as much as white bread.

Even though you may seem to tolerate dairy products just fine, eating them often and spiking insulin can be detrimental to the metabolic adaptation that needs to take place in order to reap the full benefits of low-carb diets.

In this case, avoid milk, cut back on the cheese, yogurt and cream. Butter is fine as it is very low in protein and lactose and therefore won’t spike insulin.

Bottom Line: The amino acid composition in dairy proteins make them spike insulin fairly effectively. Try eliminating all dairy except butter."

http://authoritynutrition.com/15-reasons-not-losing-weight-on-a-low-carb-diet/

Replies

• GymBard
    GymBard Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article reference, I hadn't heard that dairy could be problematic. More reading up for me!
    I've chosen high fat cheeses, like brie, when I choose dairy. It's made from the cream almost exclusively and is very keto-friendly, IMO. Another favorite is blue cheese. I'd stay away from the part skim versions for sure.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated dairy by going Keto.... Yes most dairy is low carb. I think cutting it depends on you... If you are diabetic or prone to being diabetic... Then cutting it out may be a good thing. If not I dont think I would remove it, until it proves to be a problem.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    In general I don't do dairy. Not for any weight-related reasons but from the other potential issues.

http://whole9life.com/2013/03/the-dairy-manifesto/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dairy-intolerance-what-it-is-and-how-to-determine-if-you-have-it/
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Dairy aggravates my stomach except for yogurt. I can handle cheese and HWC in small doses. Do you love dairy? If yes work it in. If no maybe you can find some lower carb substitutes.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Try it without it for 30 days or so & see what happens. I don't react to dairy. I've taken it out and put it back in without problems. I don't drink milk, but I eat cheese, cream, sour cream, cream cheese, butter, etc.

Now, I will say this: you're eating low-fat dairy, which by definition has more carbs. Eat the full-fat stuff!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    When dairy is processed to take out the natural fat, the end result is a product higher in sugar and therefore carbs. Our family gave up drinking milk years ago, but kept the high fat dairy in our diets, such as cream for the coffee and cheese because we love the flavour. If you like yogourt, try looking for a product that is the highest in fat. I buy an organic Greek yogourt with 11% BF and I love it. I have trouble eating enough protein most days, so the high fat dairy helps me get enough.

I didn't look at the link you provided, but have to wonder if it might be the higher sugar content in the low fat dairy that might spike the insulin levels. Strange that they would recommend keeping the butter but ditching the cream, since heavy whipping cream is essentially the same food as butter. As long as you switch to the highest fat content you should be OK. (I wouldn't even use up the low fat dairy, I'd let someone else eat it or throw it away.....or add more fat to it.)
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dairy does not spikoe my blood sugars (you could check your blood sugar before dairy, 30 mins after having dairy, then 3 hours after> look for a spike. I like having hard science on "yes it is" or "no its not" and everyone is different. A glucose meter can help with that.) But even though my sugars were not spiking with dairy when I do the delicious full fat versions of dairy it tends to give me heart burn. Sometimes I deal with that. Lately ive tried experimenting with coconut milk for my coffee as a substitute for heavy whipping cream. Bottom line, like others have said... until it presents a problem for you I wouldnt exclude all dairy. :-)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I love dairy. It's something I stubbornly refuse to take completely off the list of allowable food choices. That said, it's been months since I've had any dairy except butter. It just doesn't agree with me and causes cravings and stalls for me. I don't miss it as much as I thought I would, but I still refuse to accept that it's probably best to not add it back.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same. just for the weight loss. But I don't know if can manage a low carb diet without the cheese. SO many recipes are super cheesy, and I just love cheese. I have no adverse effects that I know of except a little more mucus. Sigh, but I don't use low fat cheese either.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I think I will try keeping it in with the full fat versions for now. Thanks everyone.