Advice to stop yo-yoing needed!

Hello! So i'm pretty new to this LCHF thing. I have been doing it since last Thursday and have currently lost approx 4 pounds by sticking to the 20g net of the atkins induction program. As a bit of background to me (sorry it's confusing....)

I have been drawn to this because since October time i've been trying to loose weight (very complex weight history.... my highest was approx 200lb at age 17, went down to approx 157-163lb through overhaulling into a healthy lifestyle at lowest for a while then gradually first year at university went back up to approx 168 before last Christmas hitting up to 176lb. I did the 5:2 diet (in with regular HIIT in the gym 5 times a week) and went down to 150lb at lowest for my new job working in the US all Summer. Over the 4 months and travelling a little crept back on and then gradually up until this XMAS until I was about 164-168. I've tried calorie counting, juicing, restrictions, eating just veg and nothing has worked because as soon as i had day/ weekend off my body just absorbed it all up into fat and set me back. So up until last week at my NEW highest of 176 (EEEK) i decided a different approach and to give my poor starved body some food!

So day 6 and i'm feeling great, i've managed the gym every day and my PT has commented on my energy levels. I measured my bloods this morning and i'm in optimum nutritional ketosis and am documenting my efforts on instagram (katkins15) if anyones interested! BUT. I again go to work in the USA at the end of May, and realistically while I'll be able to keep carbs down through good choices, I will have far less control to this extreme as it is a Summer camp/ i'll be looking after 13 kids and working 15 hour days/ food is prepared and alcohol will be happening after hours!

So really because I'm at atkins inductions levels now, and plan to be until I get down to around 154lb mark before starting to add them back in I was just wondering if you experts had advice for the gradual reintroduction rates, how I should increment the additionals in, which foods to include to ease in/ keep the lifestyle up without gaining all possible losses rapidly back!

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    If your plan is to go back to eating all those carby foods after you lose weight, you will most likely gain it all back. Now, the New Atkins for a New You describes how to re-introduce carbs, and how fast, and how to notice if you are gaining, and which foods you may have to eliminate forever in order to maintain your weight loss.

You aren't trying to lose that much weight, and really about half of it reasonably could be water loss from releasing the extra water once your glycogen stores are depleted (that is why we lose so much in the first two weeks, then it tapers off to more normal rates).

So, when you start re-introducing more carbs, expect your weight to go back up a little due to holding water with more glycogen storage.

Maybe set your sights on a lower goal weight, so when you do add some carbs back (and hopefully not the levels you were eating before), then you can maintain in a band of weights (e.g., 145-150 lbs).
  • gingerkelly93
    gingerkelly93 Posts: 9 Member
    If your plan is to go back to eating all those carby foods after you lose weight, you will most likely gain it all back. Now, the New Atkins for a New You describes how to re-introduce carbs, and how fast, and how to notice if you are gaining, and which foods you may have to eliminate forever in order to maintain your weight loss.

You aren't trying to lose that much weight, and really about half of it reasonably could be water loss from releasing the extra water once your glycogen stores are depleted (that is why we lose so much in the first two weeks, then it tapers off to more normal rates).

So, when you start re-introducing more carbs, expect your weight to go back up a little due to holding water with more glycogen storage.

Maybe set your sights on a lower goal weight, so when you do add some carbs back (and hopefully not the levels you were eating before), then you can maintain in a band of weights (e.g., 145-150 lbs).

That would be my perfect goal area really somewhere from 140lb-150lb depending on muscle levels. Now getting educated about carbs I certainly won't be going back to being mindless about them but realistically I know i won't be able to accuratley measure them as I won't be purchasing and cooking for myself/ keep them as low as I like with limited choices. I will be able to make smart choices with what is available though. I think I'm gonna invest in the book!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Methods for increasing carbs have already been addressed, so I want to touch on the general yo-yo dieting.

You asked in your title how to stop yo-yo dieting. The answer to that is simple (though the execution may not be easy) -- stop treating what you do to lose weight as a "diet." As long as your way of eating to reach your goal weight is temporary, so will your weight loss be.

If you want to stop yo-yo dieting, then stop going on diets and start making lifestyle changes. For most of us here, low carb is that lifestyle change. We have no intention of not being low carb after we've reached our goal weight. A carb level too high for our bodies is what got us the excess weight to begin with. There's no sense in eating food that makes us sick (and excess weight is a symptom of a sick body). The goal is to stay at the new weight, not go back up to the old one.

Now, that doesn't mean we don't adjust our carb intake or make other changes about the way we're eating. However, there's a subtle, but very important difference between "going on/off a diet" and making changes to our diet (aka our way of eating) based on current needs, a lot of which start between our ears.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    I've worked at summer camps for many years, and I feel your pain in not being able to prepare your own food. As far as sustainable weight loss goes, the way you lose it is the way to maintain it. This means while at camp, sticking to meat, veggies, etc will be your best friend. Don't be afraid to bring coconut oil, butter, protein powder or something with you or purchase over the summer to supplement the food the camp provides. The one I worked at always had a salad bar as well as a main meal. If possible, go with vodka for the alcohol (least carbs) and limit intake each night. You'll need less to feel the affects after being in the sun all day, too. If you want to make it work, you'll find a way.

Also, I know camps will provide "special food" for dietary reasons. You could tell them, and even ask your doctor for help, that you need specific food available to you because you need to watch blood glucose. Even if it's not true, the camp should provide something easy for you.
  • gingerkelly93
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    I've worked at summer camps for many years, and I feel your pain in not being able to prepare your own food. As far as sustainable weight loss goes, the way you lose it is the way to maintain it. This means while at camp, sticking to meat, veggies, etc will be your best friend. Don't be afraid to bring coconut oil, butter, protein powder or something with you or purchase over the summer to supplement the food the camp provides. The one I worked at always had a salad bar as well as a main meal. If possible, go with vodka for the alcohol (least carbs) and limit intake each night. You'll need less to feel the affects after being in the sun all day, too. If you want to make it work, you'll find a way.

Also, I know camps will provide "special food" for dietary reasons. You could tell them, and even ask your doctor for help, that you need specific food available to you because you need to watch blood glucose. Even if it's not true, the camp should provide something easy for you.

Yeah we have salad bar which has cheese, cold meats, dressings etc so even if main meal options are carb-heavy thre would be cold options for me! Yes adjusting to low carb alcohol choices is going to not be so fun as usually can't drink vodka without cranberry to wash it down.
    Yeah I'll be working in quite an activity intensive job- really cool to see another perspective of someone working in same way who understands my worries! Thank you.
  • gingerkelly93
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Methods for increasing carbs have already been addressed, so I want to touch on the general yo-yo dieting.

You asked in your title how to stop yo-yo dieting. The answer to that is simple (though the execution may not be easy) -- stop treating what you do to lose weight as a "diet." As long as your way of eating to reach your goal weight is temporary, so will your weight loss be.

If you want to stop yo-yo dieting, then stop going on diets and start making lifestyle changes. For most of us here, low carb is that lifestyle change. We have no intention of not being low carb after we've reached our goal weight. A carb level too high for our bodies is what got us the excess weight to begin with. There's no sense in eating food that makes us sick (and excess weight is a symptom of a sick body). The goal is to stay at the new weight, not go back up to the old one.

Now, that doesn't mean we don't adjust our carb intake or make other changes about the way we're eating. However, there's a subtle, but very important difference between "going on/off a diet" and making changes to our diet (aka our way of eating) based on current needs, a lot of which start between our ears.

This is so true and I really want to commit to this long term as a change, it's almost like a re-education for me about health. Flipping everything on head about calories, low fat choices, and all this new scientific studies coming out is just validating it for me. So strange to tell myself cheese is okay after being the mortal enemy for years....
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited April 2015
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »

Yeah we have salad bar which has cheese, cold meats, dressings etc so even if main meal options are carb-heavy thre would be cold options for me! Yes adjusting to low carb alcohol choices is going to not be so fun as usually can't drink vodka without cranberry to wash it down.
    Yeah I'll be working in quite an activity intensive job- really cool to see another perspective of someone working in same way who understands my worries! Thank you.

As long as your cranberry isn't the "juice cocktail" loaded with sugars, straight cranberry juice is better than many other options... And I can tell you two things - the longer you eat this way, the more your tastes change - and be extra careful of the booze - it will take WAYYYYY LESSSSSSS to get your tipsy than before if you're still eating this way... \

And remember your body will have to process the booze first before carbs, then everything else, so you'll set yourself back no matter what. Grabbing a glass and carrying it around before setting it down when no one is looking is another option... I'd personally avoid the booze, as nothing at all good ever comes from it for 99.99% of people. You can sit around and enjoy each other without booze - even if you're the only one not drinking...

Also, in drinking booze - you'll almost have to double your water to avoid the dehydration that causes hangovers!!!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Whilst we're doing Pubcrawl 101 :wink:, the other thing you need to drink is WATER. Most people are much more successful in their alcoholic endeavors when they match each drink with a glass of water.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Twibbly wrote: »
    Whilst we're doing Pubcrawl 101 :wink:, the other thing you need to drink is WATER. Most people are much more successful in their alcoholic endeavors when they match each drink with a glass of water.

THIS. This exactly.

Find another way to deal with the stress of handling children, and avoid more than a shot of vodka. There are 0 cal, 0 carb (aspartame free) flavored seltzers out there that can make the vodka more palatable. If you can't even control that aspect of your intake, you're better off avoiding it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Someone suggested vodka, water, and MIO in another thread! Might be an idea....