Coffee and junk food

Options
momkas
momkas Posts: 22 Member
Today was a rough day. I did a moms to moms sale and have been on my feet since 5:30 am after only 3 hours of sleep. The last week I have been working a lot and started drinking coffee on a regular basis again. I put liquid creamer in which has sugar. I've noticed my stomach is bloated and I haven't been getting in my water. I've given into temptation a lot the last couple of days. A peice here or a sample there, etc. Today I had coffee twice and honey mustard pretzels. My daughter had Wendy's after the sale and on her way to practice, I ate 2 chicken nuggets and 3 fries! I know it doesn't sound like a big deal on paper, but the guilt I feel is like I ate an entire cake and drank a 2 liter! I'm worried about falling into old habits. And to top it all of, my hair is falling out in clumps because I don't get enough protein! I know the answers, why am I being weak?!!!!

Replies

• badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ok, so you had a bad day. you know what you need to do, starting tomorrow DO IT. and be sure to take your vitamins and calcium
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a rough few days. Dust yourself off and get back to basics-you can do this! As for the coffee-I do a number of cups of decaf/regular every day and use vanilla premier protein as my creamer--30 grams of protein via my daily coffee. Its really not too bad and I actually prefer it now.
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    weeziebeth wrote: »
    -I do a number of cups of decaf/regular every day and use vanilla premier protein as my creamer--30 grams of protein via my daily coffee. Its really not too bad and I actually prefer it now.

Oooh, this sounds like a good idea. At the moment I just use one Tbsp of lite creamer, but to get 30g of protein AND lighten my coffee sounds like a no-brainier!
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sorry, meant to also reply to the subject in the post, not highjack the thread!

Momkas, I notice on days when I don't get my protein in, my hunger is more knawing, more insistent. That's when I start to crave the carbs/sweets and have made some bad choices. Like Weeziebeth said, brush yourself off, and get diligent with the calorie counting and clean eating the very next day. One bad day is no reason to start the next day thinking you've failed that one too.
  • OhhSusannah
    OhhSusannah Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What a great idea to use protein powder in my coffee!!! Can't wait until tomorrow morning to try it out. Thanks for the tip!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    momkas wrote: »
    Today was a rough day. I did a moms to moms sale and have been on my feet since 5:30 am after only 3 hours of sleep. The last week I have been working a lot and started drinking coffee on a regular basis again. I put liquid creamer in which has sugar. I've noticed my stomach is bloated and I haven't been getting in my water. I've given into temptation a lot the last couple of days. A peice here or a sample there, etc. Today I had coffee twice and honey mustard pretzels. My daughter had Wendy's after the sale and on her way to practice, I ate 2 chicken nuggets and 3 fries! I know it doesn't sound like a big deal on paper, but the guilt I feel is like I ate an entire cake and drank a 2 liter! I'm worried about falling into old habits. And to top it all of, my hair is falling out in clumps because I don't get enough protein! I know the answers, why am I being weak?!!!!

Actually it's a good idea to change it up once and a while, it seems to reduce stalling.
  • weeziebeth
    weeziebeth Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What a great idea to use protein powder in my coffee!!! Can't wait until tomorrow morning to try it out. Thanks for the tip!

I like my coffee hot, and therefore protein powder does not work very well (clumpy). I find the RTD protein shakes much better suited to this use. It's expensive as coffee creamer, but pretty good for a protein boost!

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options

I like my coffee hot, and therefore protein powder does not work very well (clumpy). I find the RTD protein shakes much better suited to this use. It's expensive as coffee creamer, but pretty good for a protein boost!
    If you mix the protein with a small amount of room temp water first (shake well), then when mixed well pour into your hot drink, it works ok for powder. But I use the RTD ones usually anyway too :)
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee with Kroger carbmaster milk - 60 calories a cup - and whey protein. I make my own vanilla and cocoa flavored from plain whey isolate I purchase from Now foods. I add sucralose or Lakanto. It tastes just like those awful sugary coffee creamers and it has 21 grams of protein and 130 calories if I use a half cup of milk. I pour it into a tall glass so it's like a vente or whatever at those coffee places.

You decide. Nobody else. The sugar will make you feel bad, not just mentally. It will undermine your efforts. It will make you crave the junk. So you decide. I wish you all my best.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee with Kroger carbmaster milk - 60 calories a cup - and whey protein. I make my own vanilla and cocoa flavored from plain whey isolate I purchase from Now foods. I add sucralose or Lakanto. It tastes just like those awful sugary coffee creamers and it has 21 grams of protein and 130 calories if I use a half cup of milk. I pour it into a tall glass so it's like a vente or whatever at those coffee places.

You decide. Nobody else. The sugar will make you feel bad, not just mentally. It will undermine your efforts. It will make you crave the junk. So you decide. I wish you all my best.

What is Lakanto? And does honey have the same bad effects? I hate artificial sugars always just a few days post op I am not yet ready for this stuff but when I am I want to be educated
  • momkas
    momkas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great advice. I took it and made the best of this beautiful day with my food choices and step count. Sometimes you just need to talk to those that understand what you're going through. Thanks again!
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    joysie1970 wrote: »

What is Lakanto? And does honey have the same bad effects? I hate artificial sugars always just a few days post op I am not yet ready for this stuff but when I am I want to be educated

Check it out on Amazon. It is monkfruit sugar. I don't know how it works, but it tastes and looks like the real thing.

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    you were at wendys-the small chili is a perfect meal. the grilled nugget kids meal at chick fil a is also perfect with the fruit side and diet lemonade -17 g of protein. these are my fall back foods if I screwed up and didn't plan my meals. start planning your meals so you don't get hungry. hunger equals susceptibility to temptation.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    start planning your meals so you don't get hungry. hunger equals susceptibility to temptation.

Amen! I have been using the tuna packets as my fallback. A quick 100 calorie, high protein snack that satiates and gets me past the munchies.

Rob
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    momkas wrote: »
    Thank you all for the great advice. I took it and made the best of this beautiful day with my food choices and step count. Sometimes you just need to talk to those that understand what you're going through. Thanks again!
    So happy for you. You are doing great!

• imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post the same subject today, then I read yours and all of the great ideas. I am going to try them especially the protein drink in the coffee. I have been stalled for 4 weeks now and I am only 6 months out and don't think I should be done losing. I am 40 lbs away from goal and just don't seem to be making good choices at all. I am going to have to pick myself up and keep going but it is really hard.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I also drink coffee with creamer or protein powder as the creamer (my tummy no longer likes it plain). I know coffee isn't making me hungry as I could drink coffee all day and never eat. I have found if I don't limit my coffee I will not get in my water. You hair loss is normal and caused by a few factors, but not getting your protein in is going to make it markedly worse. You need to get in your protein and water and if your doctor is OK with it add Biotin or Hair, Skin & Nails to help the hair loss. Also know, the more protein you eat the less hunger you have.

Hang in there. It's a balancing act and you are still figuring out the balance that works for you.

PS-protein powder mixed in a little water, making a paste, and then added to coffee keeps it from clumping.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I also use premier protein or syntrax cappucino for my cream but I like iced coffee so it works great. Like mangopickle said, there are some good choices at the fast food places. Find a few at places you may frequent (I hear chik filet has grilled nuggets). Keeping your protein up helps keep you full. I always have emergency snacks tucked away in my purse, desk at work, car and I tend to bring a lung bag with good stuff if I plan to be out. Be prepared helps. I also know there are places that I can't even go to (like Dunkin Donuts) because old habits will creep back, I just can't chance it at this point. Give yourself some slack and don't be hard on yourself. It is a learning process and you can't expect that your diet is going to be perfect forever, just don't let one bad day de-rail you. Get right back at it. I also find having a scheduled treat here and there helps me.
  • shortypage1123
    shortypage1123 Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a rough few days. Dust yourself off and get back to basics-you can do this! As for the coffee-I do a number of cups of decaf/regular every day and use vanilla premier protein as my creamer--30 grams of protein via my daily coffee. Its really not too bad and I actually prefer it now.

Love the premier protein as the creamer idea. Thanks so much for sharing!! I don't have the vanilla but I use the chocolate and that's pretty good to like my very own mocha:)