Pain triggers my over-eating

Options
SashaMaja
SashaMaja Posts: 37 Member
I've been struggling with chronic pain for awhile and gained a bunch of weight snacking to make myself feel better. It wasn't really a conscious decision to put a food band-aid over my pain, I just felt like I HAD to eat. I started here on MFP last month and really had everything going well. But this week has been rough emotionally and physically. I just felt really blah all week and my back went out on Wednesday. I got next to no activity in this week and I'm so discouraged by that and so in pain with my back that I am munching away again. I get really frustrated with myself over this lack of self-control.

Replies

• LJFJ
    LJFJ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    SashaMaja, I, also, have chronic pain from osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, two hernitated discs that press on a nerve in my back, and seven operations on my legs since my husband passed away eight months ago. When the pain meds wear off, what are we left with? Whatever we can grab to make us feel better. Why not chocolate, Cheetos, ice cream, or anything else that's easy to grab? When I'm in pain, the last thing I want to do is stand at the stove and make something "good" for me. And then have to stand at the sink to wash the dishes.

I'm a recent widow, and after the initial shock wore off (after about six months), I started eating again, definitely emotionally. I started making the foods Al (my husband) and I used to enjoy together, but nothing tasted right. I then ate more junk, trying to find something that tasted good. Nothing did, and it still doesn't (two months later). Then I noticed my weight was climbing rapidly, as was my blood sugar. I gained 18 pounds in the last 3 weeks; even the doctor told me that's alarming. So, here I am.

I've tried cleaning when I want to eat, playing with the cats when I want to eat, reading when I want to eat... but no luck yet. I'll eat first and then clean, play with the cats, or read.

Some articles I've read said to keep an emotional-eating journal. That sounds like a good idea, but what if I pop-off (as my mother used to phrase it) and whoever cleans out my apartment sees my journal? I'd be horribly embarrassed; and with my luck, that would be the last thought on my mind. :( Oh... that's just too morbid, isn't it. 'Sorry about that.

Yesterday, after I got home from the doctor's office and signed in here, I went through my desk drawers and took out all the bad stuff... Chocolate! I put it in the kitchen so I'd have to walk there to get it and make a conscious choice. When I'm in pain, the last thing I want to do is get up and walk.
  • LaceyVskmp1980
    LaceyVskmp1980 Posts: 37 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SashaMaja, I completely understand. I have several autoimmune and other disorders that keep me in pain. Whenever I am over active, my body can't carry enough oxygen back to my muscles fast enough...so I spend several days down. I eat good, most of the time, but when I don't feel like cooking, I pop something in the microwave or let my husband run to McDonalds or to get pizza...(ick, I know). Even when really watching my calorie intake, if I'm not active my weight goes up.
    I lost 60lbs in 2012 and kept it off but I had an injury in the spring of 2014 caused from over doing it at the gym (stupid personal trainer...I'll blame him lol) and allowed myself to get down and depressed about it. I got back up to my original weight, and my original weight decided to bring a few friends with it ;( .
    I did it before, so I know I can do it again! I've been back to using MFP for about 2 weeks along with my fitbit, and I've already reduced 10# of water weight.
    My plan this time is to not give up and give into the pain for more than 2 days before I get back on track. Even if it's only a little a day (exercise wise). Hubby is going to only bring me salads when we do fast food, and pizza is going to be few and far between and gluten free. (Eliminating much of the dairy and gluten from my diet has helped in reducing pain-they trigger inflammation. I also take something called diatomaceous earth (food grade) to help with pain, cravings, and a lot of other things). I have a Kellogs fiber bar in the morning that has high fiber, and it's covered in....chocolate! That helps me get that craving for the day done and over with. ;) I don't shop hungry so I don't pick up junk food. And, I ask myself a lot "if I eat this, how is my body going to react" & "is it really worth it?"
    Remember, it's ok to fall down once in awhile. It's how we pick ourselves up that matters!
    Good luck with your journey! :)
  • JenforHealth
    JenforHealth Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    SashaMaja wrote: »
    I've been struggling with chronic pain for awhile and gained a bunch of weight snacking to make myself feel better. It wasn't really a conscious decision to put a food band-aid over my pain, I just felt like I HAD to eat. I started here on MFP last month and really had everything going well. But this week has been rough emotionally and physically. I just felt really blah all week and my back went out on Wednesday. I got next to no activity in this week and I'm so discouraged by that and so in pain with my back that I am munching away again. I get really frustrated with myself over this lack of self-control.

• JenforHealth
    JenforHealth Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wrote long post somewhere in response to yours, see nowhere. New to this app, hope gets easier
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I understand. Have severe pain with my osteoarthritis. most days since I started MFP are good. Sometimes I just don't want to log my food. But if you do eat it, write it down, so you can see it and see if it was worth it. Sometimes, if I am home, and I feel like eating but am not hungry, I take a little nap, or make a nice little drink with lemon and stevia.. Or a big pot of tea. I tell myself that if I am still "hungry" when I finish the tea, I can have a snack (except yesterday. I knew I was going to a party and gave myself permission to binge) but the tea usually helps....it's warm and comforting, or a bowl or cup of broth.