23 days, but who's counting!

Options
DustinBrandon
DustinBrandon Posts: 25 Member
23 more days till surgery,
Feeling very excited, yet a bit nervous?
Any recommendations from y'all?
Any tips/pointers/support is greatly appreciated!
Happy Saturday y'all!
D.

Replies

• IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting a surgery date! I'm still preop so don't have any input, but interested in what others share...
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congrats! It's getting close! You're gonna do great. The nerves are normal,and honestly the pre-op is the hardest part because of the anticipation of what is to come.
    Once it's all done you're gonna feel so much better and in such a short amount of time. Not gonna lie, there is some discomfort afterward, but do what they tell you and walk as soon and as much as you can while in the hospital. This will help, especially with the gas pains.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I just got home yesterday so first BIG CONGRATS! A few things walk, sip, walk, sip, walk and walk some more! It really helps :) Pre op is not to tough to get used too. Ask as many questions as you need to, doctors and nurses as well as all these great folks are the best support I have found and no question is dumb. Take a pillow to the hospital to help support your belly standing up, sitting down and especially for the ride home. G2 is your friend, it helps you not feel so washed out when your on liquids when you get home. Take your own toothbrush, the ones in the hospitals are rough and I don't know about you but once they let me brush my teeth put on some deodorant, brush my hair I started to feel back to my old self :) Best wishes! Feel free to add me :)
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi! What kind of surgery are you having? The nice thing is that with all of them being laparoscopic now, the recovery is much easier! I agree with the walking - it really helps with the gas pains. Getting used to things like small bites, sipping water throughout the day, and chewing food at least twenty times are good things to practice. Like I just told someone else, if you're still drinking caffeine, wean yourself off slowly. I didn't and I had nasty withdrawal symptoms for about three days pre surgery. At the hospital, it really helped me to bring my iPhone and ear buds so I could listen to music and drown out the hospital noise. Sending a friend request. Good luck!
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    take something good to read, be ready to walk, walk, walk and sip, sip, sip. take something comfortable to wear, like sleep pants or lounging pants, to change into after you can take a shower. I just had my sleeve on April 1st so I'll give what advice I can. feel free to add me
  • Moe0112
    Moe0112 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    So exciting! I was super nervous before but you'll be fine. Just had mine April 2nd and like everyone else said walk and sip. Also give your body time to rest because you wont get much in the hospital when they check on you every two minutes! Wish you nothing but the best!!!
  • DustinBrandon
    Options
    Thanks All!
    That truly helps alot, I am getting the gastric sleeve, it has been a journey to get here and am looking forward to the journey after!
    Think I just nervous to go under, such a funny feeling when they say "ok, start counting backwards starting from 10"....10...9...zzzzzzzzz lol
    As for the pillow, good call! I would've never thought of that and would probably be kicking my self!
    And as for sips, I heard no straws, is that true? I bought a Contigo water bottle with the straw thing in it to train my self to sip, would sort of be lost with out it lol.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes no straws in my program. My hospital and surgery team gave me 1oz cups after to drink from it was not hard to learn to sip - trust me the first time you take too big of sip you know it LOL...it's uncomfortable, you won't be quick to repeat it. I didn't even get to count, I don't even remember going into the OR - must be a cheap date! Ask you doctor about the water bottle every doctor is different, they will let you know their feelings on it, you never know :) Best wishes!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Most dr's recommend no straws but if it helps you take small sips then it really not a big deal. I've seen some dr's say it's OK and a friend of mine who had the surgery swears by the straw to help him not drink too much at a time. Personally, I don't ever use a straw so it's not an issue for me. I think it's one of those WLS myths that had good intentions but the science doesn't really back it up. I also think it applies more to the bypass than the sleeve.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    my docs are in the no straw group. take. some sleep pants or lounging pants for after you can take a shower, on the second day , that way when you walk your behind won't be hanging out of your gown. the no straw is on the theory that you take in too much air when trying to sip.
  • DustinBrandon
    Options
    Thanks y'all, I take it you all are post-op?
    How have your journeys been?
  • Moe0112
    Options
    I was also told no straws so just be very careful if thats what you decide to do. I'm only 11 days post op and so far so good. How are you doing?
  • Moe0112
    Options
    Moe0112 wrote: »
    I was also told no straws so just be very careful if thats what you decide to do. I'm only 11 days post op and so far so good. How are you doing? Do you feel a little more prepared?
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try to think of something really funny to say when you wake up and think about it while you are going under. I also counted the lightbulbs in the weird medical lamp I was looking at to see if I could get to the end before I passed out. It's kind of hard to talk with the mask thingie on and they didn't make me count or anything, they just had me breathing slowly and deeply. So prepare your headspace for thinking good/funny things.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi Dustin, I had the RNY procedure, and the road hasn't been too bumpy for me. I've had a little issue just since I entered the pureed food stage, but we've decided that either I've developed a food intolerance (which happens sometimes). Or my body may not have been ready for the pureed stage just yet. Going back to liquids for just a bit longer. Other than that, I've had no complications after surgery. Something to be aware of is that it is normal to hit an occasional stall where you don't lose any weight for a while. Just hang in there, know it is normal, and stick to the plan. It will all happen in good time. This isn't a magic bullet. You will have to put some work in. Use your new tool, when you get it, to your advantage and do your part.
  • magicmombo
    Options
    Anyone with a date scheduled should read Stranger Here By Jen Larsen. Not only is it very pertinent to what you will go through, but it is well written and a page turner at times. She takes you step by step through her journey and gave me a whole lot to think about pre-op. I am grateful that the book was there for me. I downloaded it from Kindle. My husband is reading it now too. Let me know what you think. And good luck you all. I had my gb surgery 5 days ago. The worst is behind me now. Phew. Just tired.
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hello Dustin! I had my sleeve Feb 9th....seems so far away, lol. I still have a hard time eating. I tend to eat too fast and then I get sick easily, that eating slow is tough when I only have 5 mins to down food. I stick mainly to soups, I can get about 6-8 oz of soup, depending on how much content is in it.
    I wish you well! This is a nervous experience but going to be worth it in the long run. Just take one day at a time and put your scale away, I drive myself nuts weighing everyday. Enjoy your time off from work!!
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi Dustin!

I had RNY on February 19th. It was the best decision I've ever made. It's not easy, but it's so worth it. My biggest challenge was adjusting to the fact that I can't really turn to food for comfort like I have in the past. It's something that I know I will continue to grapple with going forward. My surgery itself was very easy (relatively speaking). I was out of the hospital in less than 36 hours after surgery and my pain wasn't really bad at all. I stopped taking my pain meds two days after surgery. Remember to walk as much as you can because that really helps with the gas pains! So far, I've been pretty lucky as I'm adding in new foods - most have gone well. There's just a few instances where my stomach hurt after something, but no major things like vomiting, etc. (Thank goodness!) You are going to do great! Any other questions, don't be afraid to ask!
  • DustinBrandon
    Options
    I'm usually a person that doesn't get nervous, but for some reason I'm very nervous, however they have relaxed a bit, y'all are the only people I have talked to about surgery that have been there done that!
    All of y'all are wonderful! Thanks for all the comments and such!
    I look foward to watch you on your path!
    It is a very exciting time too, I started off at my heaviest of 338 lbs, my BMI wasn't too off but I've been heavy my whole life. 6'1 and 338 I believe my BMI was at 49.
    Once I got accepted into the bariatric program I was thrilled, they have helped me out sooooo much I'm down to 245 now, but that's the thing with me, I can lose the weight but cannot keep it off, this stepping stone is truly goin to help me!
    Y'all rock!!
    (I'm a Canadian yankee)
    (Like to say y'all lots and .....EH! )

Feel free to add me!

:)
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Great job with the pre-op weight loss!