When to skip a workout

Options
Solamer
Solamer Posts: 67 Member
I've been doing strong lifts for 3 weeks without missing a workout (NSV!). However I ran a half-marathon yesterday and am pretty sore--but not too sore that I am sure I couldn't complete a workout. I don't want to skip today's workout but my husband says it's pointless to workout legs again if I'm already sore from yesterday and that I should just do OHP. Is he correct?
Do I try and fail my other exercise sets (squats and DL) or do I just do OHP and not log the others or do I try to complete all the exercises and possibly screw myself over for Wednsday's workout.

Replies

• LoLoGB
    LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    From what I understand if you are sore and can do 50% load and do the same workout like that so blood flows to area but you are not lessening the repair of the muscles. You do not want to do regular bc you won't be fully repaired for Wed. I also think, depending on how sore you are, skipping and waiting til Wed is fine and you can always just do some light walking or body weight exercises. Skipping a workout is better than not letting your body adequately repair - it actually undoes your hard work by trying to do it before your body is ready. Hope that helps :)
  • Solamer
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will skip today. I'm wondering if I should log it as a fail today to not mess up my M, W, F workout schedule.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ejane609 wrote: »
    Thanks, I think I will skip today. I'm wondering if I should log it as a fail today to not mess up my M, W, F workout schedule.

it's not a fail. it's a decision.

• Solamer
    Options
    sure, I'll agree with that.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ejane609 wrote: »
    sure, I'll agree with that.

:) i usually find that workouts where i can't start with squats never really get off the ground anyway. i'm not even one of those folks who like squats, but they do make such a solid foundation for everything else you might go on to do next.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Your husband is incorrect if he is making the claim that soreness makes a workout pointless.

Here's my take on things and this requires some context.

- If soreness is prevents you from correctly executing techniques that have high injury risk, like a squat or deadlift, then you might* want to skip that portion of your training session.
    - If soreness does not prevent you from correctly executing techniques but it prevents you from training at full intensity (weight on the bar) then you can take some weight off the bar for that lift and still get some lifting in.

*You're not going to really know whether or not this is the case until you are thoroughly warmed up. I've had some great training sessions while walking into the gym sore as hell from the previous days workout.

So what I'm suggesting here for most people, even if you are sore, at least go in and start warming up, maybe increase warm-up volume due to the soreness, and as you're adding weight to the bar in preparation for your work sets, evaluate your technique and how it looks (video) and feels.

If things are awful, hang it up and quit. It's not worth an injury.

If things hurt but the movement quality is there, you might even feel BETTER afterwards by getting the session done.
  • Solamer
    Options
    Thanks SideSteel, that helps clear things up