Jelly Beans

Options
Morning!

Anytime I want to buy something sweet I tell myself "I'll eat this in moderation, it will be a great treat when I need to satisfy my sweet tooth". However, anytime I buy something like this, I feel like I quickly start eating more than the serving size or what I know I should be eating. Just yesterday I ate about 3 times the serving size of Jelly Belly beans (bought the big container at Costco). I am learning not to beat myself when I overeat, but instead I just try and remember the way I felt afterwards and then I adjust my next day to make better choices. This morning I put the jelly bean container in the trunk of my car lol- out of sight out of mind!

What do you all do to avoid overeating? do you just not buy products that you often find tempting to overeat? measuring out the serving first hasn't helped me because I just go get a second or third serving.

Replies

• Cindie84
    Cindie84 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh boy *sighs* "in moderation" is just not in my vocabulary lol. I either don't buy it at all or if I really can't help myself I will buy the smallest pack of whatever it is I'm craving so once it's gone it's gone.
  • ptmom99
    ptmom99 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had to stop buying certain foods-especially pasta. I found that if I realized I couldn't control portions of foods, that I was better off just not having them in my house. If it's something that I don't want to deprive the rest of the family of, I will have somebody else hold me accountable. And that includes reminding me that I asked them to be my personal food police! I really don't need too much help ft the kids anymore with this...lol!

• Julie95020
    Julie95020 Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ah yes, I have fallen for that many times. "It will be nice to have this bag of peppermint patties in my desk so I can have a little afternoon treat each day". Next thing I know the whole bag is gone in one sitting. Solution: I don't buy that stuff anymore. My sweets are now things like strawberries and yogurt. :)
  • pitchf0rk
    pitchf0rk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing with chips. Last time I bought some I was standing in front of the shelf and there were these tiny bags of chips and the big ones. As chips are quite expensive here in Switzerland I was too stingy to buy the small bags (they are even more expensive if you consider their volume). I thought that I'm adult enough to pack them up in small bags by myself at home.

Well...... I couldn't. Had to eat the whole bag in one sitting. So next time I'll go for one of these small bags if I have the craving...
  • Julie95020
    Julie95020 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why do we do stuff like that? This is probably the longest I've ever kept up with to tracking my food without giving up (24 days), but some days it's so hard. Counting every bite that goes into your mouth is not easy! I really have to fight the urge to just sit on the couch and mindlessly snack...why does it give me so much pleasure?!?!? I guess I had a rough day...the rant is over. :smile: