A bit of help if possible

geordiegirl27
geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
Hi all

I joined EM2WL a couple of years ago and learnt to change from a very low cal diet to eating properly. I lost weight, gained energy and felt better than ever. I swore I will never go back to low cal diets.

I stuck with it and until early last year kept my weight right, definitely toned up as I was exercising with weights as well as cardio and to a large degree ditched the scales.

Last year I became poorly again, having suffered endometriosis all my adult life and many surgeries, I was eventually diagnosed as a having a hernia. I had the op 9 weeks ago suffered here damage which has slowed recovery but I am trying to get back on track as my weight has crept up considerably.

I have a fitbit which helps me keep an eye on my daily cal burn (BMR is pretty accurate to scooby) but I am getting a bit confused what I need to do.

Scooby says while I am not exercising I need to eat 1553 to lose weight, I am back to 1-3hr of light exercise it jumps to 1780 and back to where I was pre illness 2007-2233.

So if I put in to MFP my base calories as a daily target then if I exercise add this as exercise to MFP and net that about? Or should I be putting in the 1780 and eating that net daily?

I think I probably lost my way a little while before last year but with the exercise it was keeping me on the right track but I really want to get these extra lbs shifted and start to feel like myself again.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Suggest you don't use Scooby to guess from 5 rough activity levels - when you have a device attempting to give you infinite levels.

If you did well with eating the same daily goal because you could plan better, do the following.
    Unsync Fitbit from MFP.
    Get last 1 or 2 Fitbit weekly reports that are emailed to you if that level of activity will keep being done, with only slight weekly increases as you get better.
    Take the Total Calories Burned Daily Average figure x 0.85 = Total Daily Eating Goal (TDEG)
    Set MFP profile to maintain weight.
    Customize the resulting Goals page so your Net Calories Consumed is the TDEG (you are treating it as gross, not net).
    Change macros if desired to 40/30/30, at the least double the amount of protein grams given, leaving fat grams where they started.

Now meet the daily eating goal that is given by MFP.
    Don't log exercise except on Fitbit for things it is estimating wrong, like swimming, or biking/elliptical if non-HR unit, or lifting if non-HR or HR unit.

Each week as activity increases a little, rerun the math using the new Fitbit report as above. Only have to change the MFP - Goals section for new eating level.

So good life lesson and good tool going forward. Always must eat correctly for level of activity, be that maintenance or in a diet.
  • geordiegirl27
    edited April 2015
    Thank you Heybales I will do that I was going round in circles last night trying to figure out which would ensure I don't overeat esp while I'm not as active.

There are still days I'm not doing much and didnt know if I was better eating for that day or an average regardless of exercise so your advice is greatly appreciated. When I did EM2WL last time I didnt have the fitbit.

I didnt know how accurate the fitbit is, for example I did a run last night that my garmin gave a burn of 252 and ran just over 2 miles it had me down as running only 1.7.

Right here goes :) hopefully I'll be seeing some results soon. (just to get this pain under control and I would be flying!)

Done, my fitbit check says 1772, thats not adjusting the extra for running. I do interval training sessions, they are weighted in a lot of exercises and on the cardio sections I often (but not always) wear 1kg weighted gloves I had for piloxing. I don't know what cals that burns as my garmin doesn't work indoors, any ideas or should I just ignore those sessions?
  • heybales
    You don't mention what Fitbit you are using.

If non-HR model, I'd suggest anything where you are changing your weight and the step-based doesn't know that, use the HRM and manually log your calories on Fitbit so the TDEE is best estimate for using next week.
    But you say Garmin is a HRM model?
  • geordiegirl27
    I'm using fitbit one and doesn't have HRM. Garmin is HRM but doesn't work indoors (unless its user error) maybe I'll try again.

Thanks again heybales your advice is great (as always you have guided me in the past)
  • heybales
    edited April 2015
    If you can get agreement from the Fitbit on distance than during a treadmill run, it'll probably have better calorie burn estimate than a HRM using generic stats, even Garmin which I consider better.

And yes, Garmin with HRM will work indoors, even if distance isn't seen, HR and doing an activity is, and therefore calorie estimate is.

But like I said, if the Fitbit is good for distance, or can be adjusted for such, then it's calorie burns can be trusted and no messing around with manual logging is required.

But for those other workouts, Garmin is better.