Going for 2000 calories today!

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
Update: I've been upping my calories over the last week and today I'm aiming for 2000. My weight has stayed totally steady throughout-no gains. My scale shows a slight decrease in body fat. Looking back through my reports I see where I have sometimes eaten 1800-1900 calories (I was doing net calories then) and my weight would jump up. I'm guessing that is because it was used to getting more like 1300-1500 calories while I did heavy lifting 3x/wk and some cardio. I'm really happy that I am doing this now because I'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks.There is a gym at the hotel I'm staying in and I hope to keep my exercise up. But I am sure I will be eating and drinking more than I've been doing at home.Hopefully since I have been eating more it won't be such a shock to my body. I never would have guessed that I could eat so much!

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    This is great - I'm so glad you are increasing! I would guess you can easily maintain on 2000. Even if you see a slight fluctuation upwards on the scale, don't get discouraged and drop back down. Stay at 2000 for awhile and let your body adjust as the fluctuations are totally normal anytime, but especially when increasing cals. If your body maintains at 2000 for a couple of weeks, try 2100 and see how far you can push it up. :) Great job!
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Were you on a VLCD before em2wl? I remember when I first upped my calories from a VLCD to 2000 calories I immediately lost weight. Keep us udated!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Great work!!! I bet you'll be surprised how far you can go!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    @deevatude , I was on the standard issue 1200/day calories. I lost 8 lbs when I increased to 1350 then plateaued. My weight has not changed at all since I started upping cals. again.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I wonder if I'll make it. It's dinner time and I have over 900 calories left!! I've got to start dividing up my calories more evenly throughout the day.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @Sumiblue really interested in how you do with upping your calories! I too am doing SL and am interested to hear how the extra calories help your lifts as well. Keep it up!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    So far so good. I benched 80lbs for 5 reps before dropping back to 75 lbs.last workout. I didn't lift today because I had bad DOMS from a little running this weekend. I will check in with how I do lifting tomorrow.
  • mymodernbabylon
    Options
    Check out my dinners - I have no problem having 900+ calorie dinners. My diary is open.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I made it to 1950 and couldn't think of a 50 calorie snack. Plus, I just wasn't hungry. I will check out your diary for inspiration, @mymodernbabylon. I got on the scale today and expected to see an increase because Scooby tells me my TDEE is around 2000. For the first time since I started increasing calories my weight dropped-by .4 lbs. body fat went down, too.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    :) Awesome! Stay at 2000 this week and if you are maintaining, go up by another 100 next week. Scooby is only an estimate - your TDEE could very well be higher than 2000. Sometimes when people increase calories, it allows the body to unstress some and you'll see scale weight go down. This could be what is happening...a good sign!
  • mymodernbabylon
    Options
    The other thing to think about is that it's okay to go ABOVE that 2000 as you probably go below it regularly. I don't worry about being in the red by 100-250 calories on a day, as I do go 100-250 below as well. (p.s. you are seeing what I saw when I increased toward my TDEE - awesome).
  • mymodernbabylon
    Options
    (Carrots are a good 50 calorie snack when needs be)
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Lost another .4 lbs. I'm staying at 2000 for now because it is plenty of food for me. But if I go over I won't fret. I have missed my target calories a few times so it will even out. I wished that I liked raw carrots but yuck! Never liked them or raw celery!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    that's awesome...way more food then you're used to eating too. Impressive!
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    But it's funny how now 2000 calories feels like a totally normal amount of food and 1200 seems ridiculously low.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Yes, it's amazing how different we can feel about things once we see how well our bodies respond to proper food intake! What seemed normal before now seems pretty crazy - and so unnecessary! Glad you are trusting the process and discovering how much better it can be!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just wait until you are purposely bulking eating 3000 and wondering why you aren't gaining but 1 lb every 3-4 weeks!
  • Sumiblue
    edited April 2015
    Options
    :p
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    For @Jennifer_Lynn_1982 , I already posted this on my profile page but you asked about my strength. I saw a definite improvement with my lifts today. Last week I only managed 5 reps @80 for chest press and today I did the full 5x5. My rows, which I have always struggled with, were much better and I did 5x5 of them (my heaviest so far). I had deloaded on squats a while back because I wasn't low enough. So I've worked my way back up to 100bs. All my warm up sets (10@45, 5@65) were *kitten* to grass. I did 5x5 working sets @100lbs just below parallel. A very strong workout for me!