Surgery today!

Options
deequigley
deequigley Posts: 1 Member
just wanted to introduce myself. Laying in bed about 13 hours after my vsg. I am so relieved the surgery is done. I'm in pain but it's mostly tolerable. I've been up waking twice so far. Any helpful hints/tricks I should know now or when I get home?

Replies

• lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip.. LOL :) The more you can walk the more it eases the gas pains. Keep sipping to stay hydrarated! Be good to yourself and follow your program. You will see we all have differences in our guidelines and instructions but the best thing is to stick to the program you have been given. Don't compare your journey to others!! We all advance to different stages and loose weight at different paces. Be prepared for days even weeks you do not loose anything! You body will go through phases needs time to regroup. Its totally normal. Keep in touch with the groups!! There is wonderful support and encouragement here! Hope you have a speedy recovery!!
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi Dee! Welcome! I agree with Lori - best thing to do is walk as much as you can and get in as much fluids as possible. I had RNY on 2/19/15. It gets better each day. I'd also say to be good to yourself and give yourself the chance to heal. You need to make it all about you for the next couple of weeks (which I know can be hard). You have made a great decision and this is the first day of the rest of your new life! Congratulations! Sending a friend request - this is a really great group for support and to answer any questions.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the losers side! I agree with Lori and Jen. Walk, sip, take care, rest, do your breathing, and be kind to yourself. It's a process and you will do just fine. Feel free to ask any questions you have, too.
  • chckmeowt
    chckmeowt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Congratulations and good luck.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Great advice from all above! Before you know it you will be giving the same advice to others. Glad you are doing well! Hope the healing continues to be uneventful!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    As others have stated, sip the water, and get some walking in.

Don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions either. If something needs clarification or doesn't make sense, that what he/she is there for. And although he has a "program" for you remember you know your body best. So if you're not getting (or getting too much) the EXACT amount of protein, water, walking, rest etc don't sweat it. There will be days you'll get more or less of stuff than others. No one is perfect.

Do your best, stay positive and learn as much as you can. You'll do fine. :)
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    welcome to the journey. for now i recommend the same as the others, walk and sip. also as soon as they let you - take a shower, you'll feel better afterwards.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Welcome! 4/7 for me - exactly what the others have said and if your not able to do what they say don't get too upset everyone's journey is different it will come :) Congrats!!!