Any hair dyers out there?

Options
So... I am well into the swing of things with my swimming... But I'm a dyed red head at heart. I love my vibrant red hair, but sadly swimming just leaches all the colouring out.

My question is... Is there anyone out there who has dyed hair and if so how do you stop your colour from fading?

Is it possible to keep my redheadedness? Or do I have to accept that while I'm swimming I'm resigned to having boring brown dyed hair? (I need to dye it some colour... I got my first grey at 23.). I'm off to get my hair done in 2 weeks, and I don't want to pay £60-80 on getting it coloured red if it only lasts 1-2 swims!! Do you wear swim hats? Do they work? Any recommendations of materials??

Thanks!!

Replies

• Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Do you swim pool, fresh or ocean?

I just dyed my hair very red and haven't noticed a change after my three swims in sea water... First time I have gone red so no prior experience to compare to. I only swim in sea water.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    Pool. Nasty chlorinated water!! Do you wear a swimming cap?
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I find that chlorine does leach colour out of hair. It has been suggested to me to immerse my hair in conditioner before putting on my bathing cap, which I do - for me its to protect my poor hair which got brittle. For hair dye I would think if the hair is already saturated with conditioner the chlorine can't 'get in' as much. Always wash and condition your hair after bathing with good quality stuff. I use cheap conditioner on my head before swimming.
    - It doesn't leach it all in one go so by the time I go back to the hairdresser it just needs more dye.Those colour conditioners might help.
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Normally, no cap, but race days I have to. I have short hair so it does not get in my way and I prefer not wearing the cap.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, red hair dye is the quickest fading anyway. Swimming won't make any difference - it would fade on its own accord. I used to be red (before I took up swimming) and it only stayed proper red for a week or a couple of washes, then would fade to a lovely gingery colour. All hairdressers will tell you the same thing. Its the problem with wanting red hair.

By the way I beat you on the grey thing - first grey hair at 16! Been colouring it ever since (now blonde) and the swimming doesn't affect that colour.
    Options
    Lol 60sPanda I know - the joys of being a fake red head. The problem with the near-daily swimming is the daily swimming is getting my hair wet (and essentially soaking it for a longer period of time) compared to when I wash it every other day very quickly in the shower. :) I must admit I do love the 'faded' gingery colour that I'm sporting at the moment and I might ask my hair dresser if she can achieve that effect.

Roaringgael - that was going to be my next thread - I'm running out of my Boots (UK) swimming shampoo and was wondering whether you lot have any recommendations? Conditioner wise I've got lots of bottles that my mum's donated so I'm working my way through them.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Can't help - never died my hair. Been going happily grey for last 20 years, I'm now approaching 50... (And yup, i still get plenty of admiring glances/passes...) My mum and sister both have fantastic white hair. And most men go grey well, so personally I don't get this grey obherence thing with us women.

But .... I did start using Boots sun'n'swim anti chlorine shampoo to counteract the dryness of regular swimming.

I hope you find a solution that suits you. ( It might include doing what natural intended ....??)

BTW personally I LOVE over the top died hair - Blue, purple, scarlet....that really takes 'balls'. Please tell me when you said red hair you really meant scarlet !
  • Dory_42
    Options
    =BTW personally I LOVE over the top died hair - Blue, purple, scarlet....that really takes 'balls'. Please tell me when you said red hair you really meant scarlet !

I totally get that. I dye my hair for variety and tend to choose extreme colours. My profile pic was taken the day after I did my hair red so you can see how bright red it went. I still want to do the bright blue option one day. Luckily I can get away with things like that at work!!!
    Options
    BTW personally I LOVE over the top died hair - Blue, purple, scarlet....that really takes 'balls'. Please tell me when you said red hair you really meant scarlet !

:) I did indeed. I usually get a bright vibrant totally unnatural red put all over as a base, and then my hair dresser puts lighter bright red streaks through. I cannot remember the name of the all over base but the streaks are 'red corvette'.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have long dyed hair. (To cover the gray). However it's dyed a golden brown, so the blond streaks just look good.

But the hair is loooong, and I do want to keep it, I'll brush it down with a bit of oil (olive oil is fine) before I go to the gym. The I'll saturate my hair with non-chlorinated water before my swim. (Sponge theory being that if it's saturated with non-chlorinated water in a swim cap, it absorbs less chlorine).

Wash and condition it heavily after the swim, and use a bit of conditioning oil because I have to blow dry it (dammit!) because I need to get to work.

It works out okay. Not as great as if I weren't a swimmer, but the color looks fine.

Options
    << :) Just so you can see what I mean by red.

With the help of my swimming cap, it is lasting around 2 weeks before needing topping up.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I dye mine brown-black to cover the greys. I also do the conditioner-before-swimming thing, and use a swim cap. Water tends to seep in, but I figure it's better than full-on exposure to the chlorinated water.

I also stopped shampooing every day. I only swim once or twice a week (I do other workouts), and I try to wash my hair every couple days. I read in some magazine that water/washing makes the dye go faster than anything else (such as your choice of shampoo).
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Saturate the hair with water before swimming. Then put on a leave in conditioner and comb it through. Then cover it with a swimming cap. I have dyed hair as well as a brazillian blowdry and that seems to work for me as my hairdresser keeps admiring how smooth my hair is. I use the special leave-in conditioner from the brazillian company but that's probably not necessary.

p.s. Oh yeah, and then wash it all out after swimming and condition, of course.
  • Tamois
    Tamois Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have waist length dyed dark brown hair (again to cover up the 100% greys!) and this thread has been an amazing help. I will now condition my hair before putting it up in a cap and will properly wash and condition it afterwards instead of just rinsing it. I do have a problem keeping my swimming hat on though, it tends to ride up and slip off after about 40 lengths.
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Great thread... wish I could wear a swim cap, but it just doesn't stay put and stay on, despite my short hair (somewhat shorter now than in my profile pic). Purchased one stated for a large head and it just rides up, making it more annoying than helpful, so I abandoned the cap. Guess I have a larger head - can't wear hats either.

I also dye my hair to cover gray and, as mentioned above, I asked my hairdresser how I can preserve the color as long as possible and she recommended wetting my hair first to saturate it before it hits the chlorine water. Just dyed my hair today so I'll try it and see if I notice any longevity in the color.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I had that problem with caps riding up, until I got one of the turban ones with an adjustable velcro fastening at the back (they're called Fashy if anyone wants to google it). The regular speedo style latex caps... forget about it. And I also tried one of the the old-fashioned bubbly ones but I'd get a great big air pocket right at the top of my head.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil (as in, the stuff you get in the organic foods aisle that comes in a jar and is the consistency of lard). You have to really coat the hair to protect it but it's pretty effective at acting as a barrier between your hair and the water.