nuts how many?

Options
strwberrygrl
strwberrygrl Posts: 10 Member
Those that eat nuts how many do you eat in a day? In replacement for sugar I think I am now consuming too many nuts. I believe this is sabotaging my weight loss. So out of curiousity if I am trying to lose weight should I omit them or if I keep them to how much? Thanks!

Replies

• pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it at max 1.5 oz a day. But not every day, maybe 2 times a week. I eat macadamia nuts. I use almond or other nut butter.
  • strwberrygrl
    strwberrygrl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks pope705/good to know ;)
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This really has to do with tolerance, I eat about 1.5 oz of nuts a day too but it goes up or down depending on what I garnish my food with or if I am not feeling full after a meal I'll grab some. I was eating about 3 to 5 oz a day when all the weight was coming off but I really do not seem to have any intolerance's to nuts. If you are having difficulty losing weight or upset stomach after you eat nuts then take a week off and see if that all changes, the weight could be due to an allergy to them that is causing inflammation in your system.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I generally eat nut butter instead of nuts. I'm allergic to a lot of raw nuts but not cashews and lately cashew butter has been my go-to for nuts. About 2Tbs a few days per week. (maybe more once lol)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't personally think nuts are healthy for me so I do my best to avoid them. If you tolerate them then eat them but if they cause health issues or you go crazy with them I would recommend avoiding or minimizing them. They have the same anti-nutrients as grains so I'm not sure why many find them so acceptable.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I find that I have to limit my nut intake to feel my best and especially to lose weight. When I first went paleo, I think I overdid the nuts and went overboard making all kinds of grain substitution recipes. I have cut that way down, and since trying primal keto, I limit even more. I might have .5 to 1 oz macadamia nuts a couple of times per week.
  • FeliJD
    FeliJD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had no idea of the fat and calorie content of nuts until getting onto MFP. I have since cut them out and replaced with fruit. But.... Now my sugar levels are up! Not sure what is a safe replacement. Nuts are so fattening and having around 60gms a day blew my diet out the wall.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    It's not the fats that are the problem with nuts... "Fattening"? It's the SUGAR (and processed foods) that's fattening. Paleo is not about avoiding fat... or eating as few calories as possible. :'(
  • aaroncirilo
    aaroncirilo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    only small amounts... example: no more than 28 almonds per day...otherwise (not sure why) my weight loss stalls and cravings for other foods increase.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    only small amounts... example: no more than 28 almonds per day...otherwise (not sure why) my weight loss stalls and cravings for other foods increase.

Yes, I have had to stop buying almond butter because I can't control myself and then my weight loss stalls. Robb Wolf even says that if one is trying to lose weight, fruit and nuts should be cut way back. @FelicityDonert I have blown my daily goals before with my fruit and nut-butter snack, but other times used it to hit my goals. Moderation. *sigh

• FeliJD
    FeliJD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Moderation @Kimberly_Harper sighing
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I had no idea of the fat and calorie content of nuts until getting onto MFP. I have since cut them out and replaced with fruit. But.... Now my sugar levels are up! Not sure what is a safe replacement. Nuts are so fattening and having around 60gms a day blew my diet out the wall.

I would chose limited portions of nuts over extra fruit any day, if weight loss is an issue. Fat and protein are good things to have in a snack like nuts. But too much sugar in fruit results in weight gain for me, that's for sure.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Think about it from a hunter/gatherer perspective. You find a nut tree while wandering, gather up what you can hold, and take a rock to them and eat. All in all - just a handful. Keep that picture in your head. Also, roasting/salting encourages overindulgence (which is why they do it). Stick with raw and/or unsalted.

Example: it takes me 15 minutes to shell/eat a cup of pistachios, yielding 1/2c nut meats. In 15 minutes I can also go through TWO cups of pre-shelled pistachios (I've done it). I now make damn sure I keep only unshelled pistachios around.
  • aaroncirilo
    aaroncirilo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Moderation. *sigh

lol ..yup
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can eat macadamia nuts they are too high in fat for my iffy gall bladder. I eat raw almonds in ounce portions.
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Cannot. Sigh
  • samharmony
    samharmony Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love macadamia nuts but their high cost keeps me from eating to many, I have them about once a week. Otherwise, I'll have some cashews or almonds. I use nuts as a quick snack at work if I'm not able to make it away to eat a proper lunch, just enough to hold me over.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Not a big nut fan... but it's sad to see people refering to their high caloric value as a reason to avoid them. Macadamias are the healthiest of the nuts, so if one wants to eat nuts, they should be prefered imo. And I don't mean the roasted and salted ones!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I find that I have to limit my nut intake to feel my best and especially to lose weight. When I first went paleo, I think I overdid the nuts and went overboard making all kinds of grain substitution recipes. I have cut that way down, and since trying primal keto, I limit even more. I might have .5 to 1 oz macadamia nuts a couple of times per week.

I've been very careful about "paleo-ized" treats. However, last week, knowing I'd be facing a table full of home-baked treats every other hour (they keep the judges' room stocked with all sorts of food at high school debate tournaments, at least, all the ones I've gone to over the past three years), I baked up several batches of coconut flour muffins to take with us. Everyone who tried them said they didn't taste "paleo", whatever you'd mean by that. They were slightly sweet (1/4 cup honey divided amongst 8 muffins), high in protein (half an egg per muffin) and involved no starches like tapioca or arrowroot (the flour in the recipe was 1/3 cup of coconut flour). They turned out well, and I'm making another batch today for the gf members of my family. (They're gluten-free eaters, not "paleo" but it makes an easy treat for them, and if I'm tempted to eat one myself, it will still be a fairly healthy choice.)

By the way, I read that cashews can cause a gluten-like reaction in very sensitive people, so keep that in mind if you have a problem with gluten.

I rarely do nuts or nut butter -- it's too easy to overeat them. I was thinking of making sunflower seed butter, the other day, to see what it's like, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I just got around to making coconut butter, after putting it off for weeks due to busyness and the fear it wouldn't turn out as well as people claimed, and the shredded dried coconut being a waste of money. I'm the only one around here who uses coconut milk in recipes, and I've been too busy to make and use up coconut milk for the last few months. (Aargh, can't tell you how much bone broth I've thrown away since January. I make a crockpot of the stuff on a weekly basis, but I don't always get it drunk up if I'm gone four or five days in a row, and didn't have time to get it into the freezer. At least it's made from leftover bones, after roasting a chicken, so it's not a complete waste.)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe I could eat an entire jar of cashew butter in one sitting.