waiting on insurance approval

Options
jillcwatson1
jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
I was approved for surgery today by the bariatric team the paperwork will be filed today and I will be waiting for approval from the insurance company. Has anyone been through the process with United Health Care? They are new company for the family and I don't know how long they will keep me waiting. My case manager said they will let her know before 30 business days...That could be six weeks!!! Now that I am this close I am ready to go

Replies

• CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    This is one of the hardest parts of the whole process. A friend of mine just got approved and it took just over 2 weeks, I just don't know what insurance she has. Try to keep busy so you don't think about it too much. Good luck and I hope it comes soon.
  • jillcwatson1
    Options
    I am reading up on the surgery and trying different products to find those I like. So far, I am doing ok with most although I am not fond of some of the vitamins I have tried. What else would you (or others) suggest I do to prepare for life AFTER surgery? I thought I should practice drinking across the day instead of downing 8 oz of water at a time. What else can I do that will help me adjust more easily?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I have UHC and we had a decision in about two weeks. If you don't hear from them by then, I would begin calling the insurance coordinator at your surgeons office and see if they have heard anything.

Make sure you find a protein supplement that will work for you. Whether a powder, premix/ready to drink...it's important to find it pre op. I was warned that taste can change post op, but mine didn't. So, don't purchase a lot of something that you may not like post op. That's why it's good to find a couple of things you like. Some members here have posted about a website that you can buy samples from. I have seen it on many threads but can't recall the name of it (sorry :/ ). Best of luck to you!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Besides drinking a lot water, start chewing your food more thoroughly and eating more slowly. Also, stay active, and if your not active try to start walking now if you can.
  • jillcwatson1
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I am ready to get on with this.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    So Happy for you!! Time will fly. I do suggest working on sipping water throughout the day. That has been a huge adjustment for me. Im a water lover and was drinking a gallon a day before surgery. Now I'm excited when I hit 8 cups! It's hard to remember to sip all day! Building your walking program is really important. The better your stamina before surgery the easier your recovery! Good luck! Keep us posted and keep asking questions!! :)
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Oh yes, sipping and exercise are two great suggestions for pre-op. And it really is a good idea to find a good protein that you will enjoy like Karlotta said. If you can get a hold of samples rather than buy a bunch of stuff that would be ideal, but it isn't always possible. I was lucky that I was able to get a bunch of samples from a support group meeting before hand. Do you have a local support group you can go to?
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi Jill - Nashua Nutrition has sample packs of a ton of different protein powders for $1.95 each. Also, Celebrate will send you a sample pack of protein powder and vitamins for around $3. Nectar sells individual sizes of their drinks, too. Good luck!
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    Oh - and if you're a caffeine user, try to wean yourself off gradually. I was a Diet Coke addict and quit cold turkey. Not a good decision - I had terrible withdrawal!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I knew someone would have that information! Thank you Luna!
  • CEK0220
    Options
    Jen is a wealth of information! She's the best!
  • LunaGuido
    Options
    ❤️
  • ChaniGetsHealthy
    ChaniGetsHealthy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My insurance company was like lightning - 4 days! I must have impressed them lol
  • TriksyJ
    TriksyJ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have BCBS NC submitted the same day. I called this morning to check on the status and was told that it was approved yesterday afternoon. And they just hadn't had a chance to notify me yet.
    So it should be any time now. I'm not sure where your at but in NC they are required to provide a response within 15 days. If it were me I would call to get a status update.
  • jillcwatson1
    Options
    Still haven't heard. I was told by one place 30 business days and another 15. I have been sick in bed for the past 4 days with allergies...perhaps now a sinus infection since its not going away on its own. I hate giving up sickdays at work that I want to use for surgery recovery. If I can't stop coughing they will never do surgery. Ha!