Surprise! Ketosis (i think)

Options
cathy120861
cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
During the beginning of this year i cut way down on carbs by limiting my net carbs, until eventually i got down to 20 net carbs a day. So, then i decided to try to count straight carbs, and aim for ketosis. and it was a disaster. I was hungry all of the time and every time i went over ten or 15 carbs for the day i would get discouraged, give up and begin eating wildly. I gained 3 pounds.

Finally, this past weekend, i decided to go back to the plan that worked, and go back to counting net carbs. Then yesterday, i noticed a funny taste in my mouth. I used one of my urine keto sticks and it turned a very dark pink. For the first time ever. And, i have lost those terrible three pounds, plus one more! i looked back at my eating, and my carb level was just under 30 a day, with a fair bit of activity. Go figure!

So, this is all new to me. Does this count as ketosis (the color is not quite as dark as "moderate" levels of ketones but darker than "small" levels of ketones). Can i really keep eating this many carbs (between 20 and 30 per day) and still be in ketosis? i have been tired and a little dizzy yesterday and today: could that be correlated with the beginning of ketosis? if so, how long should i expect it to last?

Thank you so much for your help.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The ketostix only show excreted ketones. As you become more adapted, there are fewer excreted (but I don't think it ever drops to zero).

You are absolutely in ketosis at that level of carbs. The experts on ketosis, Phinney and Vogel, recommend a level of around 50g/day. It's always been a mystery to me why people think you need to go lower.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    \Who HOO!/ Cathy
    And it is good to hear that a level of 50 carbs /day works.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    The ketostix only show excreted ketones. As you become more adapted, there are fewer excreted (but I don't think it ever drops to zero).

You are absolutely in ketosis at that level of carbs. The experts on ketosis, Phinney and Vogel, recommend a level of around 50g/day. It's always been a mystery to me why people think you need to go lower.

Because 50 isn't going to keep you in ketosis 24/7 for most people. There isn't a set point number, just like anything else. The average range is 20-50. People recommend 20 because no matter where someone falls on the sliding scale, 20 will work for them. The point is that after you are keto adapted, you slowly start adding in more until you find the level that knocks you out for the entire day, then readjust to a level that is comfortable to maintain below that, and allows for hidden overages.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    During the beginning of this year i cut way down on carbs by limiting my net carbs, until eventually i got down to 20 net carbs a day. So, then i decided to try to count straight carbs, and aim for ketosis. and it was a disaster. I was hungry all of the time and every time i went over ten or 15 carbs for the day i would get discouraged, give up and begin eating wildly. I gained 3 pounds.

Finally, this past weekend, i decided to go back to the plan that worked, and go back to counting net carbs. Then yesterday, i noticed a funny taste in my mouth. I used one of my urine keto sticks and it turned a very dark pink. For the first time ever. And, i have lost those terrible three pounds, plus one more! i looked back at my eating, and my carb level was just under 30 a day, with a fair bit of activity. Go figure!

So, this is all new to me. Does this count as ketosis (the color is not quite as dark as "moderate" levels of ketones but darker than "small" levels of ketones). Can i really keep eating this many carbs (between 20 and 30 per day) and still be in ketosis? i have been tired and a little dizzy yesterday and today: could that be correlated with the beginning of ketosis? if so, how long should i expect it to last?

Thank you so much for your help.

Drink chicken broth and more water. You're probably dehydrated and/or deficient in potassium and magnesium. Keto flu is not required to be in ketosis, but a lot of people end up having it because they don't understand how to prevent it. Chicken or bone broth, avocado, mushrooms, MIO, nosalt, or straight up potassium and magnesium supplements will keep it in check. You shouldn't need to rely on supplements, but they'll help in a pinch if you can't get what you need through diet for whatever reason.

Don't worry about the ketostix. They only measure one of three types of ketones, and you can be in ketosis for year and never register on one. Honestly, it's one of the biggest scams that people have been sold in the keto community.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with the idea of using a lower number to be conservative and allow for "slop," but people shouldn't fear going a bit higher. You should be able to go higher than 50g, in theory.

Of course, it's whatever works for you that matters, and for many people, it's whatever number that keeps the cravings away that really matters.