Looking forward to interacting with fellow keto followers

Options
yukoncat83
yukoncat83 Posts: 5 Member
Im newish to pursuing a paleo keto lifestyle. So far my biggest obstacles have been my family and friends- all of whom hate the fact that I am not eating "normally." I am really excited that this group is here and getting further involved in this community! It has been frustrating not having anyone to discuss keto with.

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you're looking for keto friends!
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    look at these links and there is so much available on youtube that will help you.
    Because we trust and believe our medical establishment, AND our government, it is now hard to accept 40 years of them being wrong in many areas.

Also do look up "LOW CARB DOWN UNDER" Oct 2014..big low carb convention in Australia…wonderful, top Docs, researchers, experts and dietitians addressing all the aspects.

Keep in mind that this diet SAVES children with epilepsy so bad they and their families could not function otherwise…imagine….just eating bacon, and ketogenic foods lets them be children, normal, to play and be with their families.

The Ketogenic Diet Works; A Mom Reflects on the Success
    http://epilepsymoms.com/blog/complimentary-alternative-therapies/ketogenic- diet-works-mom-reflects.html
    (Meryl Streep plays the mom--her LAST sentence in this short clip tells it all.)

http://coconutoil.com/sweden-becomes-first-western-nation-to-reject-low-fat-diet-dogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition/
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets/
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! One of my pet peeves is when people complain about my not eating "normally." Like I'm eating alien food or something. Try not to let it drive you crazy and do what makes you happy :) Feel free to add me if you want a keto friend.
  • yukoncat83
    yukoncat83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I ultimately know it's my responsibility to keep up with everything despite everyone's objections. I just never thought people would be so negative about me working out and trying to eat better. But as I said I'm excited that there are others out there on a similar path!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It's their own fears and insecurities that they are projecting onto you... You doing something for yourself threatens the very fabric of the universe for some....
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    It's their own fears and insecurities that they are projecting onto you... You doing something for yourself threatens the very fabric of the universe for some....

^^^This! People can get defensive too, as if your being healthy is somehow a negative judgment of them. I usually diffuse the situation with humor as best I can. Like KnitOrMiss said, it's projection.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Too bad they can't seem to understand that "eating normally" is what got our bodies into such rough shape to begin with - us and SO Many others.
    Besides...what is normal?
    Having tons of high fructose corn syrup?
    Eating out every day?
    Fast food?
    Pizza?
    Home cooked meat and potatoes type meals?
    Eating the "Mediterranean diet"?
    Having a "colourful plate"?
    Eating carefully prepared fat free meals with some lovely sawdust mixed in as filler (cellulose gel / gum) was a common additive to many "fat free" foods), and perhaps with a dubious artificial sweetener thrown in to spike insulin levels?
    Chugging a litre or two of soda every day?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NORMAL.

Eat what your body needs, not just what it wants.
    Do it for you, not for them.
    And yes...humour helps. :)

-T.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    yukoncat83 wrote: »
    Im newish to pursuing a paleo keto lifestyle. So far my biggest obstacles have been my family and friends- all of whom hate the fact that I am not eating "normally." I am really excited that this group is here and getting further involved in this community! It has been frustrating not having anyone to discuss keto with.

As people stated above. You are certainly welcome here. At first, there was some people that complained, but I'm 58 years old, too old for anyone to care about. If anyone complained, I would do it worse in front of them. For example, if I was at a restaurant, and some friend of mine tried to scold me for eating the fat on the edge of my steak, I would call the waiter over and ask for some melted butter. When he brought it to me, I would proclaim to all those at the table, "I'm going to lose as much weight as I can!" Then I would pour the bowl of butter all over my steak and eat it (it was yummy)!

Then as I lost weight (I am down 77 pounds), people at the table will cut off their fat and give it to me! LOL! I thank them and then eat it (yummy).

So, after you loose the weight, can they argue with success?

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    Do You Like Fatty Beef? Try Corned Beef
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    yukoncat83 wrote: »

As people stated above. You are certainly welcome here. At first, there was some people that complained, but I'm 58 years old, too old for anyone to care about. If anyone complained, I would do it worse in front of them. For example, if I was at a restaurant, and some friend of mine tried to scold me for eating the fat on the edge of my steak, I would call the waiter over and ask for some melted butter. When he brought it to me, I would proclaim to all those at the table, "I'm going to lose as much weight as I can!" Then I would pour the bowl of butter all over my steak and eat it (it was yummy)!

Then as I lost weight (I am down 77 pounds), people at the table will cut off their fat and give it to me! LOL! I thank them and then eat it (yummy).

So, after you loose the weight, can they argue with success?

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    Do You Like Fatty Beef? Try Corned Beef

@DittoDan I positively love this. I'll amp it up for the naysayers! That makes me feed my inner rebel in a positive way. Definitely a good idea. And the fact that I've dropped two pants sizes so far this year makes most people believers, except those convinced I'm killing my insides. Going to get bloodwork done soon to prove otherwise!
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I struggled with all the same things when I started keto, but once they noticed I was losing weight then no one bothers me anymore!
  • TattooedMommy427
    TattooedMommy427 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me..I completely understand not having support from family and friends. Most people don't understand this lifestyle.
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I get looks from my family some times. Just make some bacon wrapped bacon and savor it in front of anyone who makes comments or looks at you funny. :)