even more progress!

Options
WOW. this is all happening so fast! just got my date - May 1, 2015!

what is one thing you wished you knew on the liquid diet? any advice?

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The liquid diet is there to help your surgeon be successful. It's not a lot of fun, but a small price to pay for making the job as easy as possible for the doc. After a month, it will be a distant memory.

Good luck!
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It may be too late now but I would recommend trying different protein powders beforehand. Nothing like starting your first day and realizing that everything you have is awful!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The liquid diet is the easy part because your choices are so small. Drink plenty of fluids so you go into surgery well hydrated. Congratulations on setting the date.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • chckmeowt
    chckmeowt Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    congrats!
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes! Try the protein powders ahead of time! They vary greatly. I really didn't like any of them - lol! But I'm super picky. Also, if you are used to drinking a lot of caffeine, wean yourself off it SLOWLY. I drank Diet Coke right up until the day before I started my two-week liver reduction diet pre surgery and had the worst withdrawal symptoms for about three days! Good luck and congratulations!
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    like LunaGuido says, definitely wean yourself off caffeine. I started by having one regular cup of coffee then one of decaf for about a week and just switched to decaf. if you like tea, you can do the same.
  • Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat more protein before my surgery to help with the healing after surgery
  • Hildabean
    Hildabean Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yea!! that is awesome! You wont regret it. Follow all pre surgery instructions. It helps your surgery be a success.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you can to make your body healthy as possible before surgery. That includes all of the others advice. Walk, protein, fluids....repeat!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    YES on the caffeine weaning. And sugar-free popsicles can be your best friend as well - on day 3 and 4, it's the only thing I could keep down because of an atypical reaction I had to all of the protein powders I tried. So I'd definitely say also try the protein powders ahead of time like LunaGuido suggested because it would have saved me a world of hurt.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I took a different tact with respect to caffeine - I figured that I'd be on narcotics for several days post op, so I didn't stop until the day before surgery. Seemed to work for me...I started introducing coffee into my diet at 5 months post op; I am on the fence about whether I really want to grow that habit back not.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My surgeon told me to slow down and eventually drop the caffeine before surgery because I wasn't going to have it for a few days and that might induce headaches. Which I did. I asked him about post op and he said it's fine. But avoid the soda and too much regular coffee. About a week after surgery I started drinking decaf (which I know has a small amount of caffeine and that is what I'm looking for). Sometimes I drink tea or take 1/4 of a caffeine pill. There's no REAL evidence (scientific based) out there that state you should avoid caffeine after surgery. Most of the avoidance has to do with soda or coffee, NOT the caffeine. That being said, it is considered (by some) a diuretic so I've cut down dramatically since my heavy soda drinking days.

If you want to cut out caffeine, it can't hurt. But I personally don't think it's necessary.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    My surgeon told me to slow down and eventually drop the caffeine before surgery because I wasn't going to have it for a few days and that might induce headaches. Which I did. I asked him about post op and he said it's fine. But avoid the soda and too much regular coffee. About a week after surgery I started drinking decaf (which I know has a small amount of caffeine and that is what I'm looking for). Sometimes I drink tea or take 1/4 of a caffeine pill. There's no REAL evidence (scientific based) out there that state you should avoid caffeine after surgery. Most of the avoidance has to do with soda or coffee, NOT the caffeine. That being said, it is considered (by some) a diuretic so I've cut down dramatically since my heavy soda drinking days.

If you want to cut out caffeine, it can't hurt. But I personally don't think it's necessary.

Isn't the reason we are asked to avoid caffeine is to ensure we stay hydrated enough? Especially for the newbies who might be struggling to get in enough liquids anyway?
  • rpyle111
    Options

As usual, my advice is to buy into your program as fully as you are able.

Attached are some links to various articles addressing the surgery/caffeine/coffee issue. No clear consensus, and I was surprised to read that the acid generation may actually be a bit higher with decaf coffee. At six months out, I have reintroduced some full caf coffee, but I still drink a lot more decaf tea and decaf coffee than the real stuff.

Good luck to you!

http://hallmarkhealth.org/bariatric-and-weight-management-program/blog/caffeine-bariatric-surgery/

http://www.laparoscopic.md/questions/coffee-safe-drink-after-bariatric-surgery

http://www.thinnertimesforum.com/topic/76367-caffeine-after-sleeve-gastrectomy/

• badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

joysie1970 wrote: »
    Aztec4Life wrote: »

Isn't the reason we are asked to avoid caffeine is to ensure we stay hydrated enough? Especially for the newbies who might be struggling to get in enough liquids anyway?

that's what both my surgeon and nutritionist said, that the caffeine in coffee would cause hydration issues, especially immediately after the surgery
  • rpyle111
    Options
    My program explained it was because of two reasons: the hydration/diuretic properties, and the stomach inflammation/irritation during the healing process. The actual science may not completely support that, but in my mind buying into the program as delivered has many significant other benefits that I chose not to quibble.

I think I remember them telling us that after a while it would be OK to reintroduce, but only if you added extra water to account for the diuretic properties. I could have read that here as part of someone else's program.

Rob
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    My program explained it was because of two reasons: the hydration/diuretic properties, and the stomach inflammation/irritation during the healing process. The actual science may not completely support that, but in my mind buying into the program as delivered has many significant other benefits that I chose not to quibble.

I think I remember them telling us that after a while it would be OK to reintroduce, but only if you added extra water to account for the diuretic properties. I could have read that here as part of someone else's program.

Rob

I agree with you Rob, I trust my program with my life...after all I gave myself to it 150% the day I walked into the office so for now no coffee I am still struggling getting up to 64oz...my nut said I could have decaf and if I could get in 64 then coffee would be okay but she hesitated to me that means unless you are getting in more don't chance it and as much as I love coffee, I don't need it at the expense of my hydration :)
  • Bugged53
    Bugged53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein is my favorite protein drink