Anyone attempting low carb on this em2wl journey?

Options
Bebe6740
Bebe6740 Posts: 57 Member
Hello,

Just a quick question regarding intake- anyone attempting low carb-ish feeds while reaching TDEE-15/20%?

This eating above my cut value is becoming more of an 'often' thing and less of a 'once in a while' thing. I'm always craving food.

I was wondering if anyone has tried low carb? I guess most people will say no due to the fact that it could affect gym performance, but is anyone insulin resistant and doing this, or has anyone had experience with doing low carb feeds?

I'm thinking that if I lower my carb intake I might be less inclined to overeat?

I'm also finding it a little difficult to eat 'clean'... I've never had this many Rice Krispie treats! Lol

Any feedback is welcome!
Marilyn

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'll just comment on one aspect - you'll likely have to redefine "clean".
    When eating more than enough to get all your nutrients in, you may need to eat "unclean" (whatever that means to you) to get enough calories in.

Obviously if 3 oreos makes you eat the whole bag with no self-control, work on that quality before bringing oreos back in house.
    Otherwise, sometimes a known planned daily goodie makes it easy to wait until tomorrow because you know you'll get another.

If you lower carbs, you'll have to raise fat.

But it may also be that you meal/snack balance is off, and you need to have good ratio of macros in every meal/snack.
    May even have to eat the protein and fat before the carbs to slow down digestion and insulin response.

Could it be that the TDEE is actually a tad higher than you think, therefore the cut level is just enough for body to crave as it should, but not high enough to satisfy but still lose weight?
  • Bebe6740
    Options
    I think you may be onto something. I'm looking through my food logs and I am definitely NOT having a 'good ratio of macros in ever meal/snack'. I am eating mainly carbs and at the end of the day I'm over my carbs by about 50-100grams... That's a lot! :o

You're right. I must start putting more emphasis on protein and fat before the carbs- and I will do that starting with breakfast tomorrow.

I will make some adjustments to my intake and give an update in a week or two. Thanks so much!

Marilyn
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    From personal experience on that one, I get same effect if I'm not exercising enough.

Many years ago I had to make sure carbs were last, that's not so bad now, as long as there is fat and protein with it. The long drawn out lunch for instance fails if done in wrong order. So munch it all down in reasonable time is my normal attempt.

Some even find benefit to watching the glycemic index of the carbs, even when eaten last and in good ratio's - that's the pre-diabetic effect.

All those effects can be improved for many at least with good exercise. May not even be a problem down the road for you.
  • Bebe6740
    Options
    I sure hope so!

I will watch my carb intake now that I'm just starting off (1 month in) and I'm still creating my eating habits. I'd rather suffer now for a few days until I get the rhythm of it all, then waist time and wonder what I can do to improve...

I also noticed that I was actually fatigued at the gym both last night and tonight- like felt heavy and just blah. Which is a BIG difference to how I felt 2 weeks ago when lifting, I was a machine then. However, these past two days I could barely finish my reps. Knowing what I know now, I do believe it is because my protein has been so low and my carbs are exaggeratedly high.

I'm excited to see my performance go back up with the tweaked intake.

Thanks again, you are all so helpful!

Marilyn
  • Momwa6
    Momwa6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My macros are 45% fats 35% carbs 20% protein.This would still be considered low carb.I notice my performance has been awesome and yesterday I ate over 2700 calories and still drop on the scale.Yes I eat carbs bit I alsontrack them but even though I follow these macros I'm still low carb you can friend request me
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    my macros are 10% carbs , 20% protein and 70% fat
    I eat between 15-20% below TDEE (as calculated by my FitBit)

My Diary is open, but the last two days have been ... not eating as well as I usually do. Life got in the way :(
  • Bebe6740
    Options
    Thank you all for that, I'll take it all into consideration! :smiley:

I'm assuming most people are doing a 40-30-30 split (40 carb), and seeing results??

Marilyn
  • kickassbarbie
    kickassbarbie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Are your carbs mostly from sugars? I can't figure out how to view diaries.

It sounds weird but if my carbs are mostly sugars I get waaaay hungrier! The first couple of days cutting down sugars a bit I get worse but then I stop over eating. I noticed the same effect of high carbs when starting em2wl too. Turns out it was sugars specifically not carbs in general.

(In a 40p/30f/30c macros 2100... most of the time anyway odd meal out I can't calculate/ bit low on fat sometimes but the crazy overeating is gone)
  • Bebe6740
    Options
    Actually, you are right on the money too. When I eat excessive carbs it is always from 'crappy' carbs with 'sugars'. I think increasing protein and lowering carbs will be a good move for me.

I still haven't changed my macros form a 40carb/30/30 to a 40protein/30/30 just yet. not sure it's a good move for me especially if I'm not meeting my 30 protein as is....

I'm guessing that by controlling the 'type' of carbs I eat I might be better off in the long run, then trying to change the overall macros?

I did have tuna salad and basmati rice instead of a sandwich for lunch, and I'm satisfied! I guess I'll be freezing the tortillas/sliced bread, and take out the rice cooker to use instead ;)

Marilyn