First A1C after diagnosis

Options
Itsjustme86
Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
I had my first A1C done since I was diagnosed at the end of November. It was 8.8 at diagnosis in November and the past week it was 4.9! I was on insulin until early February and no meds since stopping insulin! I have also only lost about 25lbs but with such good results I can finally see what I am doing is helping something!

I am stupidly overly excited by this number! Oh the things that excite a diabetic!

Replies

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hey ...those are great numbers, worth being excited about. WTG
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Terrific results! And 25 pounds is not an "only." You're doing great.
  • Itsjustme86
    Options
    Thanks! I have been struggling to accept my diabetes but these test results show me I can get my numbers into the normal level without oral meds or insulin and the next one in 3 months will show I can keep them there!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    I'd be renting a billboard and putting it up for al the world to see with those results!! we done YOU!!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    That's a really good result, well done.
  • Itsjustme86
    Options
    Thanks!

The Dr actually told me this A1C is to low? But from all my research its on the high end of a normal person? I am not on any meds/insulin so I am not getting this number from to many lows? I wish drs would explain what they mean when they say to low!
  • robert65ferguson
    Options
    @Shaney86, One of the really frustrating things about diabetes is the amount of false information out there and the poor advice given by many health 'professionals'. One of the most effective weapons we have is to be self aware and there are lots of information sources out there. The advent of the internet meant that we were no longer enthralled to 'the wise one' but we can research information for ourselves and be in a position to challenge what we are being told. There are times when we have to nod politely or smile sweetly when we're being told what we know to be untrue. Some really good sources of information would include Bloodsugar 101 by Jenny Ruhl which is an excellent read. You could also try www.phlaunt.co/diabetes, goolge Prof Tim Noakes or Dr Peter Attia or Dr Jason Fung for some really enlightening lectures on the whole area of diabetes/obesity/hig insulin levels etc. That should give you a good start and who knows you may even be able to help your Dr learn something. I wish you well on your journey.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow!!! Great job. I am jealous. I was at 7.7 and Friday it was 6.5. What have you been doing??
  • Itsjustme86
    Options
    1234usmc wrote: »
    Wow!!! Great job. I am jealous. I was at 7.7 and Friday it was 6.5. What have you been doing??

That is a great improvement!! You will keep lowering yours! Keep doing what you are doing because you are doing awesome!

I follow very strict meal plans, basically never cheat and exercise everyday (plus walk to and from work.) My sugars were also probably lowered faster then most people's because I was inpatient on IV insulin and then continued shots for the first two months. My Dr also thinks I am not type 2 but in the honeymoon phase of a slow progressing type 1, so that could be another reason I have returned to normal sugars so quickly.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,663 Member
    Options
    It took me about a year and a 20kg weight loss to bring my hba1c from 10+ to 4.7 after stopping metformin. Well done you.
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Inspiring! I'm looking for more evidence that folks can get off their meds as a result of life-style changes. Congratulations!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ok I had the results of my first A1C after diagnosis today. ... *drumroll* 5.4!!!

I was at 11 in late January when diagnosed. Doc is cutting me back from 1000mg of Metformin to 500mg.

Fasting BGL on day of diagnosis was 354, Fasting BGL for this bloodwork was 89.

I'm down 50lbs, and up to 55 minutes a day of swimming.
  • robert65ferguson
    Options
    That's great news Stephen and a real incentive to keep doing what works for you. Very well done.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ok I had the results of my first A1C after diagnosis today. ... *drumroll* 5.4!!!

I was at 11 in late January when diagnosed. Doc is cutting me back from 1000mg of Metformin to 500mg.

You are doing great!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Shaney86 wrote: »
    The Dr actually told me this A1C is to low? But from all my research its on the high end of a normal person? I am not on any meds/insulin so I am not getting this number from to many lows? I wish drs would explain what they mean when they say to low!

If you have lots of bouts with hypoglycemia then maybe I'd worry about this, but not necessarily by eating more carbs or anything. If you aren't having tons of low blood sugars but instead are just managing things very well and are keeping things steady, I would ignore this completely.

I'm diabetic, my last A1C was 4.3. I am eating a very low carb diet (ketogenic) and doing it strictly, so I don't really have any issues with lows, so I have zero worries about this.

Congrats on the hard work and great result :) You absolutely deserve to be stupidly excited about this ;)
  • Itsjustme86
    Options

That is amazing results! Way to go! Keep up the excellent work!!
    radiii wrote: »
    Shaney86 wrote: »

If you have lots of bouts with hypoglycemia then maybe I'd worry about this, but not necessarily by eating more carbs or anything. If you aren't having tons of low blood sugars but instead are just managing things very well and are keeping things steady, I would ignore this completely.

I'm diabetic, my last A1C was 4.3. I am eating a very low carb diet (ketogenic) and doing it strictly, so I don't really have any issues with lows, so I have zero worries about this.

Congrats on the hard work and great result :) You absolutely deserve to be stupidly excited about this ;)

I don't have any lows even when I was on insulin I never seen a sugar below 4.4 and I definitely do not eat low carb! I fit every allowed carb into my diet every day haha Since I am only 28 I am trying to keep my sugars as close to a non-diabetic as possible to avoid any long term complications in 40-50 years!

Way to go on your amazing A1C! That is the lowest A1C I have ever heard from anyone! I would love to eventually get my A1C there someday!
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your great success! Looking forward to seeing more results!