Intuitive Eating?

Options
csmullins78
csmullins78 Posts: 61 Member
Has anyone tried intuitive eating? I've been reading about this in relation to treating BED.

Every time I've tried to just eat without counting my calories, I go into a binge. If I'm not dieting, I'm binging...

Replies

• laceyjjj
    laceyjjj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Intuitive eating didn't really work for me for a couple of reasons but I applaud those who can do it. I think the problem for me was I knew how many calories was in everything and I didn't trust my hunger cues. Also, the loss of control led me to binges. I'm happier counting calories but if intuitive eating can work for you it's probably a better way to live. You may want to look into the books by Geneen Roth. She has a lot of things to say that make sense and I know her books have helped people regarding this topic.
  • csmullins78
    Options
    Thank you!

I read a blog post where the writer said you can't get think by intuitive eating and that bothered me. I still want to be thin...

But I also know that my extreme calorie counting and restricting sets me up for a binge cycle...
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I read the book 'have your cake and skinny jeans too' it was very helpful. Counting calories led to binging for me. This book makes sense and I'm hoping long term it will continue to help
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I read the book intuitive eating but it fails to address one major obstacle I face: I don't get hunger cues. I don't feel hunger unless I am having abdominal cramping. The book says if you don't get hunger cues you should get into a habit of eating regular small meals until you develop hunger but It never worked for me.
  • csmullins78
    Options
    Ah, good point tsikkz...

I generally don't get hunger cues until I feel physically sick. Then, I have a headache, nausea, dizziness, and sometimes panic. Sigh...