Stopped losing weight..!

Options
ripcurlrana
ripcurlrana Posts: 31 Member
Hi
I'm 5"2 and weighed 142lbs in mid Jan and now weigh 135lbs. Trouble is I've been stuck at that going up and down a pound for the last few weeks. I started on a 1200 cal/day and burned around 300 cals. Quickly realised I wasn't eating enough and now on 1400 a day and making sure I eat any cals burned back.

It's frustrating that I'm just not losing weight. Any advice?

Replies

• staceyqlawler
    Options
    id apprieciate any advice im 5 6 and 156 pounds i do cardio/ strenght three times a week but maintaining my weight on 1200 cals a day
  • shycie750
    shycie750 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is my 739th attempt to lose weight, lol! I've tried everything, believe me. Anyway, this time I have had success with eating 6 days at a calorie deficit and having one "eat up" day where I eat up to my maintenance level. For example, to maintain my current weight I require 1782 calories (there are all sorts of calculators for this on the web). Six days I eat 1000 or less and one day I eat 1800. I don't call it a cheat day, because I don't eat whatever I want, but I do eat more. Some weeks I eat more fat that day or carbs or protein. I don't limit myself in ANY way this time except for calories. I don't care where the calories come from--a calorie is a calorie. The benefit to this is that I don't feel deprived and I really haven't had any cravings, so to speak. Nothing is off limits so nothing beckons temptingly... I have seen a steady decrease in my weight. I think the "eat up" days tell my body, "Oh, we're not really starving because we just got enough. Keep that metabolism going!" Thus far I have not had a plateau, either. I exercise as I always have but DO NOT eat the calories MFP gives me. I am trying to teach my body to get by on less food and stop when I'm full instead of cleaning my plate. Portion sizes are out of control and I know I need much less than what I've eaten, even on diets, before. The closer I get to my goal weight, the more calories I will eat on my calorie deficient days so that by the time I reach goal I am already eating exactly what I need to maintain that weight indefinitely.

I do not claim to be any kind of expert, but this feels right for me...maybe it will help someone else too.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I've had a slow, sort of jerky loss since mid-January. It's basically been loss, stall, loss, stall, stall, loss. I think this might be normal for me? Since I'm going in the right direction (down) something is working - just maybe not as quickly as I'd like.

So far I had been eating the 1200 MFP recommended calories per day and then about 1/2 my exercise calories on some days. I was feeling like I wasn't eating quite enough to fuel my workouts, so that past week I increased my calories to 1400. Weigh-in tomorrow so we'll see what the scale brings after this change.

I'm 5'5 and currently 167 lbs. I'm also 55 years old so my metabolism is likely slower due to being post-menopausal.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    There was a diet method a few years ago, can't find it now..that took advantage of our body's need to be 'safe'..you ate at 1200 or 1500 whatever, then ate MORE some days then a few days later ate LESS..always changing it up…and confusing the body so it went along and lost weight.

I listened to the dietitian and ate the 1400 cal. healthy plate, and was stalled out for over a year..no loss. frustrating. So it feels like I TRAINED my body to survive at 1400..when my daily maintenance at Overweight is 2400.! you'd think hauling 90 extra ounds, and eating at 1400 would force he weight off..nope.

Until I changed to Low Carb, cut out all sugars, and processed anything, then I lost..but still it's slow. I'm in it for the long haul, so it's ok.

There are now several IF, "intermittent fasting" diets..for women some are eat for 8- fast 12..zero calories, some are FAST 5- A dr found a 5 hour window was perfect..but it was PERFECT for MEN..many won=men on this fail, and blame themselves. so age, meds, stress, illness, etc ALL play a BIG part, as does 40 years of wondky advice..for us older women we have it tough…what you can do to lose eight in 20-30s flat out does not work 50-60s.