Welcome! Please introduce yourself

Options
AmeeSandhu
AmeeSandhu Posts: 120 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Please introduce yourself to the community in this announcement thread. Thanks!

Replies

• AmeeSandhu
    Options
    I'll start! I started this group because I needed support and accountability in making exercise a daily habit. For me, that means I need to workout in the morning. I workout at home and have a nice array of dvds, treadmill, spinbike, and free weights. No excuses, but I seem to make up one every day.

I'll be starting Jillian Michael's Body Revolution program on Monday and I'm currently in week 1 of a 5k running program. I've run three marathons since 2010 yet I'm starting over because I can't get past two miles without finding an excuse to give up.

When I was 35, I reached my goal weight and weight loss goal of 155 pounds. Since then, my focus has blurred and I thought I was still taking care of myself, but really, I was using my family as an excuse to let it all slide. With a husband and three teens in high school and all of their activities, it can be a challenge to find time for myself.

Goals:
    Lose 40 pounds by November
    Complete JMBR in 12 weeks
    Complete running program and run a 5k race
    Create a community that is friendly and positive that I can support and motivate and they will do the same for me!

Now it's your turn!
  • RelentlessFierceWarriorBill
    RelentlessFierceWarriorBill Posts: 322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm normally pretty motivated to workout anytime, throughout the day. I like to walk, bicycle, row, spin, lift weights, and take Pilates, Yoga, and Barre classes every day except Sunday, ( Studio is closed Sunday, or I would be there every day... lol ). I'm retired, so have plenty of time for exercise. I've lost 50 lbs., and will lose another 10, at least. I just left another group on MFP because there wasn't much interaction on it. Saw this group and it sounded good, so.....here I am. Like Amee, I too, hope we can have a friendly and positive group. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone, and walk along side you on your adventure / journey to better health, and fitness !! Fierce forward with relentless discipline..... Bill
    Options
    AmeeSandhu wrote: »
    I'll start! I started this group because I needed support and accountability in making exercise a daily habit. For me, that means I need to workout in the morning. I workout at home and have a nice array of dvds, treadmill, spinbike, and free weights. No excuses, but I seem to make up one every day.

I'll be starting Jillian Michael's Body Revolution program on Monday and I'm currently in week 1 of a 5k running program. I've run three marathons since 2010 yet I'm starting over because I can't get past two miles without finding an excuse to give up.

When I was 35, I reached my goal weight and weight loss goal of 155 pounds. Since then, my focus has blurred and I thought I was still taking care of myself, but really, I was using my family as an excuse to let it all slide. With a husband and three teens in high school and all of their activities, it can be a challenge to find time for myself.

Goals:
    Lose 40 pounds by November
    Complete JMBR in 12 weeks
    Complete running program and run a 5k race
    Create a community that is friendly and positive that I can support and motivate and they will do the same for me!

Now it's your turn!

Great goals, Amee !!!
  • shorthand73
    shorthand73 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am a 41-year old wife and the mother of two - a 16 year old boy and a 7 year old girl. I work as a SLP for a small school district, and am working hard to be sure that my kiddos finish strong in these last few weeks.

I ran my second half marathon in May 2014 and a 5k on July 4th. Sadly, that is the last time I've done any consistent exercise. (Ouch! It's rather painful to admit that 'out loud'!)

I had surgery on my shoulder on July 7 which turned out to be much more involved than the surgeon anticipated. I had several weeks of sitting/sleeping on the couch which resulted in an almost-immediate 10-pound weight gain. Rehab lasted 4 months, but the pain persisted - while I slept, when I walked. Thanks to some innovative pain management physicians, I was finally able to find some relief. My mobility is still only about 60% of what it should be, but I've been pain free since mid-January!

I contemplated training for another half starting in February, but truth be told, I had gotten quite comfortable being "still" and really lacked any motivation to do anything. So, here I am. I've lost the 10 pounds that I gained last summer, but my body has definitely changed after months of being sedentary. "Squishy" is not a good look. :-/

I'm just starting a 5k running program. I'd really like to train hard and see what I'm actually capable of. Ideally, I'd like to lose another 10-20 lbs, but more than anything, I really just want to be healthy. I'm anxious to hit the pavement, and would love to complete a series of 5ks this summer. However, I know that the end of the school year holds many challenges, so for the next few weeks, my goal is simply to MOVE on a consistent basis.

Looking forward to offering support and encouragement where I can, and being part of a group that can help me to be accountable!
    Options
    I am a 41-year old wife and the mother of two - a 16 year old boy and a 7 year old girl. I work as a SLP for a small school district, and am working hard to be sure that my kiddos finish strong in these last few weeks.

I ran my second half marathon in May 2014 and a 5k on July 4th. Sadly, that is the last time I've done any consistent exercise. (Ouch! It's rather painful to admit that 'out loud'!)

I had surgery on my shoulder on July 7 which turned out to be much more involved than the surgeon anticipated. I had several weeks of sitting/sleeping on the couch which resulted in an almost-immediate 10-pound weight gain. Rehab lasted 4 months, but the pain persisted - while I slept, when I walked. Thanks to some innovative pain management physicians, I was finally able to find some relief. My mobility is still only about 60% of what it should be, but I've been pain free since mid-January!

I contemplated training for another half starting in February, but truth be told, I had gotten quite comfortable being "still" and really lacked any motivation to do anything. So, here I am. I've lost the 10 pounds that I gained last summer, but my body has definitely changed after months of being sedentary. "Squishy" is not a good look. :-/

I'm just starting a 5k running program. I'd really like to train hard and see what I'm actually capable of. Ideally, I'd like to lose another 10-20 lbs, but more than anything, I really just want to be healthy. I'm anxious to hit the pavement, and would love to complete a series of 5ks this summer. However, I know that the end of the school year holds many challenges, so for the next few weeks, my goal is simply to MOVE on a consistent basis.

Looking forward to offering support and encouragement where I can, and being part of a group that can help me to be accountable!

Congratulations on dropping the 10lbs. !!! I know you're gonna reach your goals, hit it hard !!!
  • shorthand73
    Options
    "....forward with relentless discipline" LOVE IT!!!
    RelentlessFierceWarriorBill Posts: 322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "....forward with relentless discipline" LOVE IT!!!
    We can do it !!!
  • AmeeSandhu
    Options
    I'm normally pretty motivated to workout anytime, throughout the day. I like to walk, bicycle, row, spin, lift weights, and take Pilates, Yoga, and Barre classes every day except Sunday, ( Studio is closed Sunday, or I would be there every day... lol ). I'm retired, so have plenty of time for exercise. I've lost 50 lbs., and will lose another 10, at least. I just left another group on MFP because there wasn't much interaction on it. Saw this group and it sounded good, so.....here I am. Like Amee, I too, hope we can have a friendly and positive group. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone, and walk along side you on your adventure / journey to better health, and fitness !! Fierce forward with relentless discipline..... Bill

Now don't get mad at me Bill, but I find it a little odd but very interesting that you take Barre classes. I've never been to one myself so maybe that's my problem. I think that's very cool though. Are other men in the class too? Congrats on the weight loss and for kicking butt at your age! I have too many examples in my family of people being sedentary starting at around 40.

• AmeeSandhu
    Options
    Shorthand, I love what you wrote! The shoulder surgery, I can't relate, but I know how whiney and off track I got last year with a bad sinus infection. World's biggest baby! So I can only imagine.

What 5k program are you doing right now? I'm in the same boat with building up my mileage. I'm doing the Train Like a Mother 5k "Finish It" program and I've done the Couch to 5k quite a few times. Mainly because I used to take the winters off before I got a treadmill at home.

We have three kids in high school with one graduating this year. Between their academics and year round sports, I have a hard time making time for myself. There's a balance there between supporting them and putting my health first that I haven't quite found yet.

Oh I also work part time in the finance industry for a brokerage company. So I'm behind a desk for 30 hours a week. I love it though because I can leave work at work.

Have a great day everyone!
  • shorthand73
    Options
    Amee, I am just getting started with the C25k. I haven't felt like it's quite challenging enough, although in the interest of injury-prevention, that might be okay. I may have to check out the one you are using.

In 2010, a small group of us made it a goal to run 10 5k races. When it was all said and done, we actually did 13 that summer. We had SO much fun, but I always felt a little disappointed with myself because I never really trained. I typically ran races on Saturday, and ran only one other time during the week. (Laziness. Pure and simple.) I only cared that I finished. Now, after finishing a couple of half marathons, I know that I am capable of so much more if I just decide to do it.

Options
    AmeeSandhu wrote: »

Now don't get mad at me Bill, but I find it a little odd but very interesting that you take Barre classes. I've never been to one myself so maybe that's my problem. I think that's very cool though. Are other men in the class too? Congrats on the weight loss and for kicking butt at your age! I have too many examples in my family of people being sedentary starting at around 40.
    No worries about me getting mad, no way !!! I'm surprised I take it too, really kicks my butt !! I really like the 2 instructors that teach the classes, so that keeps me going back !! Nope, no other guys... just poor little ole me, and the awesome ladies, ( poor baby !! lol ). Thanks, for the compliments !!!

• AmeeSandhu
    Options
    Yeah Bill, I bet you don't mind. Lol i always got a kick out of the men that would come to Zumba class. Brave! I think my husband would goof off too much and get kicked out. He's lucky his group of friends doesn't kicked out of the weights room.haha!
  • AmeeSandhu
    Options
    Shorthand, the tlam programs all have an "own it" version for their programs too. Their marathon program made my eyes bug out just looking at it.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Heather, and I hate morning workouts. Despise. Why am I here? Because after weeks and weeks of excuses, I have to accept the reality that afternoon workouts don't fit my schedule any more, and if I actually want to run a half marathon in September (my first!), I have got to find a way to fit my runs in.

I am 39, mom to two young boys, work full time and commute. My primary sport is horseback riding, so I try to fit my running in around that. I have aspirations of adding bodyweight training to my schedule, too, but I've got to get consistent with my running first.

Any tips anyone has for dragging yourself out of bed is much appreciated!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    In 2010, a small group of us made it a goal to run 10 5k races. When it was all said and done, we actually did 13 that summer. We had SO much fun, but I always felt a little disappointed with myself because I never really trained. I typically ran races on Saturday, and ran only one other time during the week. (Laziness. Pure and simple.) I only cared that I finished. Now, after finishing a couple of half marathons, I know that I am capable of so much more if I just decide to do it.

That is so me right now! I have done a couple 5ks, and keep starting and stopping the bridge to 10k to increase distance. I only manage to run one or two times a week, and am making super lame excuses for not going out more.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Wow, it sounds like you all have made great progress and have some awesome goals!

I'm 34 and have a husband and two fur-babies at home (my little monsters are in my profile pic). I have 15-20 pounds left to lose. I'd like to lose it by July because I'm going to see my favorite band and want to fit into the outfit I have picked out ;)

I work out in the mornings even though I'd much rather sleep in. It just seems that if the workouts don't happen in the morning, they don't happen at all. I've completed Insanity and Les Mills Combat, and am currently working on Turbo Fire. I envy you runners-- I've tried it and I wanted to love it, but it's just not my thing, so I work out in my living room because I'm too shy to join a gym. I look forward to following your progress!

Good luck all!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Everything I need is ready to go the night before, so I don't have any excuses to not get changed when my alarm goes off. I had to force myself at first, but eventually it became a habit. It helped to think of all the positive things about working out in the morning (the house is peaceful, I can see the sunrise, no one is up to watch me flail about and get all sweaty, haha), and know that if I did it right away, I wouldn't have to do it later and I'd know my calories for the day without having to try to make up for anything at the end of the day.

• AmeeSandhu
    Options
    Hi, I'm Heather, and I hate morning workouts. Despise. Why am I here? Because after weeks and weeks of excuses, I have to accept the reality that afternoon workouts don't fit my schedule any more, and if I actually want to run a half marathon in September (my first!), I have got to find a way to fit my runs in.

I am 39, mom to two young boys, work full time and commute. My primary sport is horseback riding, so I try to fit my running in around that. I have aspirations of adding bodyweight training to my schedule, too, but I've got to get consistent with my running first.

Heather, hi and welcome! Have you actually signed up for the half yet? That might do it. Also, I've tried everything else like sleeping in my workout clothes, moving my phone/alarm in to the other room. Accountability is what works for me!

• AmeeSandhu
    Options

Everything I need is ready to go the night before, so I don't have any excuses to not get changed when my alarm goes off. I had to force myself at first, but eventually it became a habit. It helped to think of all the positive things about working out in the morning (the house is peaceful, I can see the sunrise, no one is up to watch me flail about and get all sweaty, haha), and know that if I did it right away, I wouldn't have to do it later and I'd know my calories for the day without having to try to make up for anything at the end of the day.

Exactly! I agree 100% yet in very special and can still try and talk myself out of it. Haha! Other than it being a habit already, i could have written that for the exact same reasons. I told myself this morning, in fact, that i don't have to dread or find time to work out after work. Yay!
  • AmeeSandhu
    Options
    Bookworm, welcome! What band? ! I have turbo fire! I actually was certified to teach it but i chickened out.