04/16/15 today I celebrate

Options
carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
I have a friend on FB, very beautiful girl, she's plus size and she reminded everyone the other day of just how beautiful we are now and that even if we are working to lose weight or tone up, that we must accept ourselves now as we are, to allow the change to occur. I'm taking her words and Carly's advice about self-worth to heart and really giving this 110% . I celebrate this as this is new to me. I'm also celebrating that TOM is visiting right now, and I DID NOT GAIN. YEAH!!!!!

What are you celebrating today??

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm celebrating that I started today without yesterday's miserable lower back pain.

I'm celebrating that I did my physical therapy yesterday, though I wish there was some magic meter that confirmed I was doing it right... It's hard to isolate muscles your body doesn't remember that they exist.

I'm celebrating the fact that despite the fact that I'm still in some ridiculous gain cycle that I don't feel like giving up on everything. Sure, it is frustrating, and I wanna wail and cry and throw a fit and punch things, but I know that this overall way of life is working for me. I got off track inadvertently, made some choices I knew weren't the best, and now I'm in recovery mode....

And hell, I'll celebrate that because I had to take Tuesday off for physical therapy consult and related misery, yesterday felt like another Monday, so this is an oddly short week to me.

Celebrating that even though I'm so not feeling ANYTHING today, that giving up isn't even a blip on my radar...it's a nice change of pace.

P.S. Cari, thank you... Self worth is a gift we give ourselves that due to societal pressures and confusion about women in general, we often "breed" out this in an effort to be better, worsening and weakening ourselves instead. It was SOOO hard to switch that mindset, and it is still daily work - but anything worth having is worth fighting like hell to achieve/keep/maintain, right?
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    Carly, I am so proud of you!! For going to PT, for managing the pain and still being on semi-track. I know exactly how hard this is. But you aren't giving up and the deserves HUGE Kudos for that. Saying that giving up is not an option is AWESOME.
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to see you gals finding things to celebrate! So much of this whole journey is mental and even though we can't really gauge it in numbers or sizes we are all making huge changes in our thinking and self worth. So many people don't realize that overweight people are treated differently and that really effects how we feel about ourselves. One thing I have recently noticed is how much differently I am treated now than I was 115 lbs ago. People talk to me. Random people will smile at me or start up a conversation. I don't think it is just the fact that I have a ton more confidence because my husband has always been a very confident person even at his highest and has noticed it to. It is like the elite soccer mom group at the school have decided that I am worthy of their attention now. You know the type- wear their yoga pants and running gear but never actually exercise except lifting their specialty coffees.

I have a few reasons to celebrate today. I did not step on the scale this morning. I had become a scale addict so going more than 12 hours without weighing is a big thing.

I am also celebrating all my curves and angles. They have become much more noticeable lately even though the scale isn't really moving and clothing sizes aren't either. It is taking longer to shave my legs due to needing to slow down on the muscles and I never really thought about why they are called armpits but they are definitely more difficult to shave.

I am also celebrating how awesome a well fitting bra can make you feel. I think the last 10 lbs came directly from my boobs. I finally found a bra that makes them look decent :blush:
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Today I have not eaten well and was gonna bail on the gym as my knee and achilles are bad but I made myself go and feel better for it.

On a non diet or fitness one I have been struggling with my little girl for some months as shes has been acting out badly, hitting kicking biting, having daily meltdowns. Our health visitor has been out at my request as the school have noticed shes not very social and seems to struggle with changes in routine and with overwhelming emotions.

They did a development check and its come up that shes actually very bright and advanced for her age and probably needs more stimulation than her playschool can provide, she needs to go to school basically and have some proper teaching and structure. I went through something similar though not as bad with my bigger one (she never lashed out but was 'inventively naughty') who is also very intelligent and now at 5 has the reading age of a 9 yo and I taught her to read to engage her at the age of 3 and a half, she could read before she started school as I used to joke it was that or sell her.

So today I sat down to teach my baby to read as we have been learning letters for some months(shes 4y and 1m) and she read 8 different three letter words (cat, rat, mat etc) which was awesome but more amazing was seeing just how proud and happy she was afterwards. She lit up. Im celebrating a breakthrough in being able to get past the frustrations her behaviour has been causing and being able to make her feel good, we are still working on some of the other stuff around routines and emotions but to make her feel good about herself felt so great. I know it probably doesnt count but its been huge for us two today
  • carimiller7391
    Options
    It does count Lise. You now understand what and are working on a solution. Just like with your weight, your behaviors, your gym time.... It's all about making those small changes and you may find you are less stressed when your daughter is less stressed and more intrigued.
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Thank you hon. I think if we can break this cycle of stress and frustration we have been in it will really help both of us as I take the brunt of her lashing out which Ive been informed is because she knows I love her unconditionally and she trusts me most in her world to not abandon her when she acts out. Which doesnt make it any easier! But it has been easier now we have identified some of the problems to calm down, step back and make some changes. Seems it does tie in with weight loss too as I need to do something similar with this struggle to log and eat well I am currently having. I know whats going on I just need to make some small changes, celebrate it when it works and roll with it when it doesnt work as well. Or something. Maybe

I am so happy to hear you are feeling more love towards yourself as well. You are such a lovely person you deserve for you to feel good about you. Keep that head on your shoulders you are rocking this

Carly so proud you arent giving up. You are so past your mental blocks that you had that its inspiring to see

And another NSV for today that IS weight and fitness related is that the immensely strong russian man at the gym tonight asked me when I was gonna stop messing around with that 'crossfit *kitten*' (meaning the Superhuman comp Im doing in June) and do strong woman competition as Id do really well :open_mouth:
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Lise, I'm literally sitting hear with happy tears welling up. That breakthrough with your younger daughter is literally life-changing. You could have just changed her path from one of lifetime of frustration to that if curiosity and learning and challenge and just fun. I remember what that was like for my kiddo, too!!! That is just awesome. Adventurous kids can be tiring, but far less frustrating that frustrated kids. And yeah, they whole they know you love them thing is freaking EXHAUSTING, tiring, unfair, and all of that... but in it's own way, it's comforting. You never have to worry that underneath it all she knows you love her!! :)

And heck yeah on the compliment from the fellow lifter. That's amazing.

As for me - I can't explain it. I feel human. Different. Almost hopeful. It's so weird. Do I have the subconscious reflex to eat all the junk so I'll feel better? Of course, but it is a little quite mousy amusingly annoying voice in the very back of my head. The me that's up front and in charge says, "yeah, nice try, bucko. we're all good up here without your nonsense."

I'm still fighting, and I'm not quite sure what my metabolism, but I just posted that I can't figure out where this 7-10 pound gain I'm struggling with is hiding! The real 7-10 pounds ago, I couldn't wear these jeans, I couldn't buckle my bra on the tightest setting, my wrists weren't 1/4" smaller, my shoes weren't loose, and my panties fit on a different, well, fat roll, I guess. So I have no idea where those 7+ pounds are hiding out.... It's crazy...
  • maoribadger
    Options
    Yep Im glad she loves me but it would be nice if she didnt push my buttons to prove it. But shes so excited about reading she got did it for her daddy when he came in then clapped herself which made me laugh. Its amazing watching her brain come alive Id almost forgotten the early days when you make these earth shaking leaps as my big one is now ploughing through Roald Dahl and takes it all in her stride even if I do have to explain some of the bigger words to her. Now to just keep trying and persisting with the plan I have in place and see if things get any easier for us both. Spirited kids I describe mine as and its a blessing and a chore all rolled into one. Id not change them though. Well, maybe the 6am waking....

Im so glad that voice isnt winning, mine did today. Havent done so well, but I did exercise. Told the Russian man Id consider it and my buddy said to me after, 'you really should you know'. Maybe after Superhuman...

Sorry Wendy I missed your post earlier. Im most impressed by you nt weighing. Its a problem I share with you and its so hard to break. Well done!!!
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm happy today that I just haven't said f@& to my diet. It's been 10 months, I'm eating Paleo due to dairy and wheat intolerance and I'm BORED with what I've been eating. It's probably time to buy some cookbooks or something but we both work so anything we come up with has to be like 30 minutes or less. Thoughts?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @cynthiamm67 If you haven't joined this group, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group , you might try it out. It is for all forms of low carbing it, including Paleo.

The ladies and gents there get pretty creative with recipes, and I know we have several who do all manner of Paleo. Me, personally, I do Keto, so I include dairy and artificial sweeteners, and ditch the real sweeteners, so we might be able to share some recipe ideas...

There are a lot of free "Paleo" books on Amazon/Kindle, and I know that someone just started a thread to track all the low carb and Paleo sites we all use, so maybe there is something there, too!

And kudos... I SO feel you on the diet boredom and stifling! :)