Posting for the first time! Starting over and doing it right

Options
malaprop4
malaprop4 Posts: 7 Member
So like a lot of us, I'm starting over on losing weight. I've started and stopped so many times in my lifetime. But I've made a new commitment to my health and I feel like this time my success is about so much more than how I look or what my dress size is.

Luckily, I have a supportive husband who is also committed to getting his weight and health under control too. But this is the first time I've done this with a partner. I'm already feeling the positive difference compared to when I've always gone at it alone in the past.

I've always been a loner by nature, so I always thought that I didn't need support or friends to talk about it with. But just having my husband's support has shown me that I was probably judging that wrong. So this time I've decided to participate in the groups and seek out friends who are also looking to achieve similar goals.

So here's my rock bottom moment, the moment that made me come back this week and start logging food again and then seek out the help of hopefully some new friends. I went for a hike about a month ago. It was the most miserable I have ever felt. Something I used to enjoy doing so much was now complete torture. Well, because of the ups and downs on the hills and my increased weight, what I didn't realize was I was doing some real damage to my knees. It has taken my nearly a month to recover from that hike where every step wasn't torture on my knees. I'm finally feeling like I can venture out for longer walks without being in pain. But I'm still taking it slow.

While I was recovering I just felt so miserable I couldn't face the scale or even tackling my food. I just ate the normal junk and didn't give it any thought. Well, my husband and I picked this week to start really concentrating on the food and I started logging everything with an eye towards losing two pounds a week. We're actually doing pretty good. Been under the calorie goal for 4 days straight, so I'm feeling great about that.

Unfortunately, (and this is another rock bottom moment) I decided to get on the scale yesterday. I know I needed to know where I was starting but it was just such a shock that I think maybe it wasn't the best idea. Plus there's probably a few PMS hormones adding to my distress too. But I was not prepared for the number. 404. (file not found?) Seriously, 404 pounds. How had I let this happen? I was just devastated.

It was a bad few hours after that emotionally. But I didn't give in. I didn't say, let's go out to eat or I need some chocolate. I stayed on track. Logged my food. And just kept reminding myself that I had to know where I was starting at. I've never been this big in my life and I'm determined to make the positive changes, one by one, and as slow as necessary so I can enjoy hiking again and all the other things I used to like to do.

I'm 43 years old. At this point, if I don't fix these things, I'm looking at an early grave. So it's time to care about myself and my body enough to actually take care of myself.

So I know I can do it. But I think I'll need the support of friends to help me out. If you're looking for a new friend, hit me up!

Thanks for reading and I wish everyone a great night!

Replies

• jkoko2015
    jkoko2015 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wow, your post really resonated with me. We are around the same age and weight and I can so relate. Thanks for your honest and real post. You can do this! You are worth it!
  • Savedandsanctified
    Savedandsanctified Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I too have had some struggles. I have weighted as much as 425lbs, I now weight 393lbs and losing. I too have stopped and started many many times. My husband is supportive as well but he is in great shape so although he is supportive he cant truly understand the challenges we have daily. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I have made a conscience effort to let this time be the time that sticks. You can do this!
  • HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for.sharing, I know it isn't easy to be so.opened but this is a great place to do it! We all get it! Going up and down isn't easy but if your going for the ride you might as well have some friends!
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You've got this. The first step really is the reality shock of where you're starting. I started around there as well and it is terrifying. I've managed to lose 104lbs so far, but I've fallen off track being back in college for the past year. I'm just starting to kick my own butt back into shape. You can do this! One day at a time.
  • malaprop4
    malaprop4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You've got this. The first step really is the reality shock of where you're starting. I started around there as well and it is terrifying. I've managed to lose 104lbs so far, but I've fallen off track being back in college for the past year. I'm just starting to kick my own butt back into shape. You can do this! One day at a time.

Wow! 104 pounds is so great. I've never lost that much. I've always been really good at 40 to 60 pounds and then kind if run out of steam or lose focus or something seems to get in the way. You've already proven that you can do this, so I have no doubt you'll get back to business!

I'm doing good in week 2. Checking in here on mfp every day is really helping and I love reading everyone's stories!
  • on2016
    on2016 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It REALLY helps when your spouse is on the same page as you with the weight loss.
    Tracking EVERYTHING you eat, for the first few weeks especially, is really important to getting things under control too.

This site is really great for weight loss, just keep at it. Also, you are going to have days when you go over the calorie limit, don't freak out over that, one day won't do you in. It is your results in the long run that really matter, 8^).

• ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    There's a great group of people here in 300+, and on MFP in general. If you have any sorts of questions, there's answers out there; if you need to vent or have encouragement everyone here is quick to help with both. Good luck with the first few weeks, they were my toughest, and have as much fun as you can with the process.