Naan & tortillas

Options
jesswagspgh
jesswagspgh Posts: 18 Member
How do you all handle naan, tortillas (corn or flour)? Been wanting some Indian food but wanna be sure I'm not gonna create an issue.

Replies

• april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've eaten Indian food, but without the naan. Protein first, and if you really feel like you must have it, maybe a bite or two of the bread. For me, it's a slippery slope so I abstain.
  • lorilbuckner1
    lorilbuckner1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree with April. It is indeed a slippery slope! Naan is a delightful treat but Im afraid for me it would create a big issue as carb have always been my downfall! I have had some of the low carb tortillas but there isn't much room to spare after the protein.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have had tortillas both corn and flour, the problem is they fill me up fast, so I have to be very careful.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm less than a month post op so I haven't had any of that stuff (yet). Hoping to avoid it as long as possible. Eventually if/when I do I'll probably go with a small corn tortilla and see how I (and my stomach) like it.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,702 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I didn't have room for that after eating my protein, veggies, fats, fruits... If I had, it probably would have kept me from losing weight because when I start it's too hard to stop.

Even now, when I'm at goal, it's still something I stay away from to avoid gaining it back like so many people do.
  • jesswagspgh
    jesswagspgh Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I want it but I see how this could become an issue.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Just did a low carb tortilla tonight. Yup - only made it through half.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I loved naan pre-op as a base for flatbreads. I made some the other day (10 weeks postop), because I wanted a goat cheese and caramelized onion flatbread. I was able to eat it, but obviously it isn't a good choice as there was little protein in that. I only had one piece (out of about 8 sections that I cut it into), so it wasn't a horrible break the bank type of thing. But I will try to find a lower carb option next time I want my goat cheese and caramelized onions! I'll save the naan for when I have guests. My son ate the rest of it though so it didn't go to waste.
  • geekpryncess
    geekpryncess Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've been using wonton and eggroll wrappers as an alternative for many things, they are very low carb and low cal. And don't fill up your stomach since they are so thin. I can handle about 3 wontons or 1 eggroll wrapper. I love to make them with buffalo chicken inside, lots of protein there! But have also made pizza appetizers, crab rangoons, etc. I am going to try the goat cheese and caramelized onions on them soon and see how that turns out.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    We make cupcake lasagna with wonton wrappers. Line a muffin tin with two wrappers per, one tablespoon of ricotta/Parmesan mixture, one or two tablespoons of a meaty sauce sprinkle with Parmesan and bake. Came out about 150 calories per if I remember right.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    rpyle111 wrote: »
    We make cupcake lasagna with wonton wrappers. Line a muffin tin with two wrappers per, one tablespoon of ricotta/Parmesan mixture, one or two tablespoons of a meaty sauce sprinkle with Parmesan and bake. Came out about 150 calories per if I remember right.

Thanks for the awesome recipe...I am definitely filing this one for the future :)